O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

Would someone mind helping me out? This guy is 34 years old, where does he fit in our "rebuilding" mode? We can't sign a younger Sheets, but can sign a 34 year old? I see some people are really excited about this move, why? Why would we not let some of the guys in the organization already, compete for the other four rotations spots? Didn't we just sign Hendrickson, who is in his mid-thirties? I just don't see what is so great. So would someone help me to be excited for this free agent pick up?:confused:

Have you watched any Oriole games lately? Did you see Liz/Olson/Cabrera/Loewen/(insert name here) walk a couple of guys then give up a big dinger? Then get taken out of the game in the third inning?

I seem to remember that happening quite often. Do that enough, and it simply ruins the entire bullpen. Do that enough, and it ruins the overall mood of the team. Do that enough, and your team embarassingly loses over 2/3 of its games in the final two months.

On and on we go.

Let's bring up young pitchers who (1) are talented and (2) are either ready for MLB hitters or have the brains and ability to quickly learn how to get through a lineup three times.

If you look at our most promising pitchers, perhaps none are ready to begin 2009 in the rotation. We need someone who along with Guthrie can last 6-7 innings a start. Uehara looks like as good a bet as we'll find to accomplish that, and just for $5 mil/yr guaranteed.

You can bring up all the mediocre pitchers you want to in the name of "rebuilding," but it doesn't mean a hoot if they aren't worthy of the honor.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, that's last team in the AL East.

Ah, thanks, read over that. I still don't think this represents any sort of new advantage for us. We're just players - finally - in the bidding for players that just about everyone else was competing for all along

I'm sure you've seen the research, posted on this site and elsewhere, about how few Japanese players find success, and sustained success into older age, at that. And here's a guy who's gonna just be getting started here at age 34.

Not. good.

Yeah, and we had Stockstill watch him pitch on six occasions. I'll take his opinion on Uehara, thank you.

Nope. I speak Japanese and each syllable shd be pronounced as follows:

u = Like "oo" in "coo"

e = Like "e" in "bed"

ha = Like "ha" in "haha"

ra = Like "ra" in "rah-rah"

But don't put too much emphasis on each syllable (as if it were Chinese)--the four syllables should just flow by, like "ooe-hara."

Next up: "Saltalamacchia"

Really, this move is all about PR... the Orioles finally landed a player from the Pacific Rim and it could lead to other talent from that region for the Orioles. Uehara is better than Hendrickson as well.

As for the "rebuilding" comment... Uehara could buy some time in the minors for Matusz (who some want to rush already) and Arrieta (who should probably have one more year in the minors).

Ok your right, this gets the O's on the map. So players over seas who are unwanted by their teams they can point to Baltimore as a future home. It looks like Baltimore is a retirement home for pitchers.

We have other YOUNGER players to buy time with....Olsen, Penn, Liz, Johnson, Guthrie....We could sign some free agents out there that are YOUNGER and maybe our young guys can mesh in with the guys we sign. I just don't see this move being so "great".

I think some people see the O's just make any move and it is so unexpected we just get excited. I bet if there was a guy named Glenn Davis out there and the O's went out and signed him, some fans would go nuts and call it a great move.

I think this move is solid because of what it represents; a foray into the Asian markets.

But really, if you're going to sign a 34 year old pitcher, you're probably a little better off signing a guy who has played ball on US soil at least.

However, maybe Stockstill and company saw something that says he could be better than what's currently on the free agent market. Maybe they said "You know what, this guy might not be any better than a Redding or Looper but it helps us establish a foreign presence."

I don't have a problem with the move, let's see what he can do for a couple of years.

Ok your right, this gets the O's on the map. So players over seas who are unwanted by their teams they can point to Baltimore as a future home. It looks like Baltimore is a retirement home for pitchers.

We have other YOUNGER players to buy time with....Olsen, Penn, Liz, Johnson, Guthrie....We could sign some free agents out there that are YOUNGER and maybe our young guys can mesh in with the guys we sign. I just don't see this move being so "great".

I think some people see the O's just make any move and it is so unexpected we just get excited. I bet if there was a guy named Glenn Davis out there and the O's went out and signed him, some fans would go nuts and call it a great move.

Yep, totally agree.

Have you watched any Oriole games lately? Did you see Liz/Olson/Cabrera/Loewen/(insert name here) walk a couple of guys then give up a big dinger? Then get taken out of the game in the third inning?

I seem to remember that happening quite often. Do that enough, and it simply ruins the entire bullpen. Do that enough, and it ruins the overall mood of the team. Do that enough, and your team embarassingly loses over 2/3 of its games in the final two months.

On and on we go.

Let's bring up young pitchers who (1) are talented and (2) are either ready for MLB hitters or have the brains and ability to quickly learn how to get through a lineup three times.

If you look at our most promising pitchers, perhaps none are ready to begin 2009 in the rotation. We need someone who along with Guthrie can last 6-7 innings a start. Uehara looks like as good a bet as we'll find to accomplish that, and just for $5 mil/yr guaranteed.

You can bring up all the mediocre pitchers you want to in the name of "rebuilding," but it doesn't mean a hoot if they aren't worthy of the honor.

Point taken!

But, my point is, the guy is 34. There is other talent out there that we could sign/attempt to sign and maybe make an impact now and even maybe later. You can think I am making no sense if you would like but, this team isn't getting any better then last place unless they bring in some kind of talent with value. The Orioles are cheap and want the cheap and easy way out.

Be excited all you want, I am not going to be. Last place is NOT anything to be excited about and thats where the Orioles will be next year.

Point taken!

But, my point is, the guy is 34. There is other talent out there that we could sign/attempt to sign and maybe make an impact now and even maybe later. You can think I am making no sense if you would like but, this team isn't getting any better then last place unless they bring in some kind of talent with value. The Orioles are cheap and want the cheap and easy way out.

Be excited all you want, I am not going to be. Last place is NOT anything to be excited about and thats where the Orioles will be next year.

I'll tell you what. If you can convince Ben Sheets to sign here for ANYWHERE NEAR $8 million a year for two or three years (and that's using what this guy could supposedly earn in incentives, AND giving room to throw in some extra cash), you let all of us know.

I'll take the quality player willing to sign here for this contract.

Seeing as we're probably paying a fraction of what either cost, so what? If he supplies ML-level innings, that's about what we're looking for.

Agreed. This guy has been a major stud in the past although apparently has tailed off a lot in recent seasons.

Even if he chews up 180 innings with a 4.20 ERA, that would be a nice get for the O's. But the symbolism is important too. This should be credited to Andy and Stockstill and, yes, Angelos. It's a small step indeed - but it's our first Japanese import and could pave the way for more acquisitions along these lines (Japan, mainly).

Now, if they pulled the trigger on the Gavin Floyd trade and got Getz... and the signed Kawakami and Looper... Suddenly you'd have a rotation of:

Guthrie

Kawakami

Floyd

Looper

Uehara

How weird would that be? And certainly interesting to watch...

It's a victory for the O's (victory with a small "v" of course).

Point taken!

This about filling a hole in the rotation for sure, but there is a much bigger picture here. While filling the hole in the rotation, the Orioles have also opened a door to Japan where their rivals have been signing players left and right. And as I've mentioned it could lead to a player like Darvish coming to the O's. It's not likely obviously with the Yankees and Red Sox bidding, but the Orioles now have a shot in a market where they didn't have a presence at all...

Point taken!

What FA SP under 34, is there out there, who will give you 160+ innings, throw strikes and cost $5 mm per or less?

This about filling a hole in the rotation for sure, but there is a much bigger picture here. While filling the hole in the rotation, the Orioles have also opened a door to Japan where their rivals have been signing players left and right. And as I've mentioned it could lead to a player like Darvish coming to the O's. It's not likely obviously with the Yankees and Red Sox bidding, but the Orioles now have a shot in a market where they didn't have a presence at all...

Oh my God, is...is that a little ray of sunshine poking through the cloud cover? :laughlol:

Lukewarm about this. $5M isn't much for a FA pitcher, but I don't really like the 2nd year. I like that they made it an incentive-laden deal.

If he pitches well enough to stay in the rotation, this will end up as a good deal. If he has to go to the bullpen, and not in a very important role, it'll end up being a poor one.

Finally getting into Japan is a nice silver lining though either way.

Archived