SP Trade Targets Compared

Aristotelian

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I have a hard time accepting that we’d need to give up 6 years of guys like Holliday and/or Hall for a couple years of a mid-rotation starter. If that’s the price, then just dive into free agency for the impact guys and trade from the positional surplus for lesser needs or depth. Santander or Urias are two guys that I feel like should get someone like Lopez, but if they don’t then I don’t want Lopez. 

None of the trades in the OP would be a win for the O’s IMO. There’s too much room in the payroll to sign players to give up the future for such a short sighted approach. 

I am inclined to agree on the Holliday level guys although Ohtani would be soooo tempting. I haven't been impressed with Hall. If he could get us Singer or Gallen I would be all over those two. After Hall, I just don't know what we are going to do with Urias/Vavra/Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/Mateo/Mayo if not trade some of them. 

Even if we get a TOR guy in free agency, how does Stroman not help?

Those values on that website are ridiculous. There is no way anyone in their right mind would trade a kid they just took #1 overall and gave one of the highest signing bonus totals ever to and then trade him plus two other legitimate prospects for 2 years of a starting pitcher.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tabletop said:

Those values on that website are ridiculous. There is no way anyone in their right mind would trade a kid they just took #1 overall and gave one of the highest signing bonus totals ever to and then trade him plus two other legitimate prospects for 2 years of a starting pitcher.

It isn't far off of what the Diamondbacks gave for Shelby Miller.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't far off of what the Diamondbacks gave for Shelby Miller.

IIRC that trade was universally regarded as an extreme overpay and that was proven right almost immediately. I guess I shouldn't have said "in their right mind" and should have instead said "any competent baseball front office".

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The OH Ohtani obsession is amusing.

Trading a huge package for 1 year of him is dumb.

Signing him to a 8-10 year deal for 35-45M a year is dumb.

Doing both is complete insanity.

OH obsession? There was a big Trout thread but I don't remember much support for Ohtani. I have suggested it a couple times but I don't think anyone else has supported it. In this case I included it in the OP just as a point of comparison among the range of possibilities. I have acknowledged the cost would be huge and it is unlikely to happen. As I said, I wouldn't do it if Holliday is the cost.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Brandon Woodruff: 2 years control, 2.7 WAR, 37.8 TV [Hall, Urias]

Blake Snell: 1 year control, 2.1 WAR, 6.5 TV [Beavers]

Marcus Stroman: 1 year control w/player option, 2.5 WAR, -11 TV [Prieto and Ryan Watson]

If MIL agrees to that deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  However, I think MIL wants more.  Though their experience with Hader could be the extra wind in the sails if that's how they view Hall.

Snell seems like a key rotation piece as they head into 2023 (we missed the window) and think they would want MLB-level in return (but SDP has a few options too). 

CHC has a few prospects on the cusp and is rumored to have Judge interest (or at least looking to spend this off-season).  In other words, I doubt they trade away starting pitching.

I agree with @oriole that the rest are giving up too much future talent when we (in theory) should have payroll resources to tap into first.  Especially those including Holliday or Cowser.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

OH obsession? There was a big Trout thread but I don't remember much support for Ohtani. I have suggested it a couple times but I don't think anyone else has supported it. In this case I included it in the OP just as a point of comparison among the range of possibilities. I have acknowledged the cost would be huge and it is unlikely to happen. As I said, I wouldn't do it if Holliday is the cost.

Its been mentioned a lot.  Just Regular has brought it up a lot.  I guess I should just say Os Fan obsession, since I see it on social media a lot as well.

Either way, it makes zero sense in every way imaginable. 

8 minutes ago, tabletop said:

IIRC that trade was universally regarded as an extreme overpay and that was proven right almost immediately. I guess I shouldn't have said "in their right mind" and should have instead said "any competent baseball front office".

I agree that it was a bad deal that looked bad from the start but I can see how someone can see a deal like that happen and extrapolate.

That being said, the O's aren't going to just package off some guys that folks here are down on and get quality back.

There is a middle ground where a deal could make sense.

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

If MIL agrees to that deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  However, I think MIL wants more.  Though their experience with Hader could be the extra wind in the sails if that's how they view Hall.

Snell seems like a key rotation piece as they head into 2023 (we missed the window) and think they would want MLB-level in return (but SDP has a few options too). 

CHC has a few prospects on the cusp and is rumored to have Judge interest (or at least looking to spend this off-season).  In other words, I doubt they trade away starting pitching.

I agree with @oriole that the rest are giving up too much future talent when we (in theory) should have payroll resources to tap into first.  Especially those including Holliday or Cowser.

Good points, SD is in a similar situation to MIL, they are contenders but have been mentioned as needing to shed some salary. I agree, they probably aren't going to be dumping one of their top 3 unless the return is really good for them.

The two guys I really covet are Gallen and Singer. I think it would be worth it to go as high as Hall for three years of those two. But their teams will probably want to wait at least a year before trading them.

I guess that leaves us with Lopez, but he is pretty underwhelming. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

LOL, true, except that he is awesome and covers all of our major needs.

He's a great player and makes us better, no doubt.

Trading a huge package of players for him for one year is a terrible idea.

Giving him a 10-12 year deal for 35-45M when most of the time will be after the age of 30 and he has already had a major arms surgery is just a poor decision.

And in this scenario, you are saying to do both. 

15 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

Do you pull the trigger if it’s Holliday, Hall, and Urias? Who says No? 

I would think that kind of package is not getting done by the Orioles.  That is a massive number of years for a very small number.  Even as a "final" piece, I don't see it.  The Orioles would almost have to believe they made a mistake on Holliday.  And it would be entirely against the grain of building a long term competitive team.  Maybe the O's would do it.  

I don't think I would.