Some decent players DFA’d. (Update: O's claim Lewin Diaz-1B)

bpilktree

It looks like the names of guys being added to 40 man and some casualties is starting to come out.  I see a few guys that would be interesting guys for us to add some quality depth.  

The Marlins designated  Elieser Hernandez who has pitched well in AAA a few years but hasn’t translated to the majors.  Could Holt work with him and improve some things to make his AAA success transform to the majors.

They also designated Nick Neidert another guy that has had success in AAA but not translated to majors.  

Blue Jays dfa’d Raimel Tampia who has major league experience and can play center and could be 4th outfielder imo.  

Ryan Yarbrough another name mentioned on here in another thread.  

Are there any other names that jump out that could be good additions?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Who do you bump from our 40 for those guys?

Cameron, Nevin, Vallimont, Gillespie, Kriebel.  There is probably about 5-7 guys that are not on the 40 ma right now I don’t expect to see on it by the start of the season not including any trades.  

Not someone we should be targeting, but interesting to note the possible final thud in the fall of Aristides Aquino.

He went from setting various rookie HR records at 25, to a .609 OPS and DFA at 28.

In August 2019 he hit .320 with a 1.158 OPS and 14 HRs in his first month in the big leagues. Then he immediately sucked at hitting the next month and has continued that way ever since. He did have positive WAR last year in both versions due to apparently good defense.

I honestly wouldn't mind Ryan Yarbrough. The way I see it, we need to add a top of the rotation type and another depth piece and Yarbrough would be the latter. He's a guy that can start a dozen times and fill-in when a starter is needed and can pitch multi-innings out of the pen. I think he'd be a good depth guy and last guy on the pitching staff. That would then push our depth guys of Zimmermann, Baumann, and others back a spot in the peaking order and I'm onboard for that.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Not someone we should be targeting, but interesting to note the possible final thud in the fall of Aristides Aquino.

He went from setting various rookie HR records at 25, to a .609 OPS and DFA at 28.

In August 2019 he hit .320 with a 1.158 OPS and 14 HRs in his first month in the big leagues. Then he immediately sucked at hitting the next month and has continued that way ever since. He did have positive WAR last year in both versions due to apparently good defense.

I noted Aquino as well. I wonder if we will ever see anything like that hot-cold streak ever again. 

How about P Foster Griffin from the Jays? Had a 2.10 ERA in AAA with 57 K to 15 BB in 51 IP. Could be another Bryan Baker and always extra nice to steal from the Jays. Could he be better than Krehbiel or Gillaspie?

Am I correct that we no longer have top waiver position? Going to be much tougher for any nuggets to fall to us.  

I believe Yohendrick Pinango from the Cubs is Rule V eligible and wasn't protected. He's intriguing - I think he could be worth a pick. We have pretty good OF depth, but he doesn't turn 21 until May and has some nice tools. Could be a player who could build some value next season as a 4th or 5th OF and who the front office could trade away as part of a package for an area of need in a year or two. 

The Cubs minor league system Top 25 is pretty solid, and Pinango slid into the back half of their Top 25. The O's system Top 25 is stacked, but we have some garbage like Tyler Nevin at the end of the 40 Man that we can jettison. We may not have the room on the major league to carry him all season, though.

I like the Foster Griffin suggestion by Aristotelian as well.

Edited by Brooks The Great

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I noted Aquino as well. I wonder if we will ever see anything like that hot-cold streak ever again. 

How about P Foster Griffin from the Jays? Had a 2.10 ERA in AAA with 57 K to 15 BB in 51 IP. Could be another Bryan Baker and always extra nice to steal from the Jays. Could he be better than Krehbiel or Gillaspie?

Am I correct that we no longer have top waiver position? Going to be much tougher for any nuggets to fall to us.  

I know the Griffin kid fairly well. Former 1st round pick of KC, HS teammate of Adam Haseley. Has had a lot of trouble staying healthy. Really good kid, 27 yoa. The word is he is heading overseas, maybe Japan. The stuff is not much to talk about anyway. 

12 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I know the Griffin kid fairly well. Former 1st round pick of KC, HS teammate of Adam Haseley. Has had a lot of trouble staying healthy. Really good kid, 27 yoa. The word is he is heading overseas, maybe Japan. The stuff is not much to talk about anyway. 

How do you know all of these guys?  :) Coaching?  Connections?  Kids a similar age?  Really neat first hand type information.

10 hours ago, btdart20 said:

How do you know all of these guys?  :) Coaching?  Connections?  Kids a similar age?  Really neat first hand type information.

A lot of talented kids here in the Orlando area. I have coached some, against some and watched many more closely. The travel ball is deep and they play the best from all over in the summer. It’s a great culture here. Baseball is a lifestyle here. One more son to guide through it, though I hope my coaching days are over, honestly.

BTW BT, I watched the Jacksonville vs. UCF fall game a while back. Watch out for Kris Armstrong, the former UF OF. He is primed for a breakout with Jacksonville. He’s 22, maybe 23 now,  but I liked what I saw in his approach and set up. One of his coaches told me he is raking with 6 bombs in about 50 Fall at bats. The UF guys told me they kept waiting for him to break out, but never did. About 6-03 220, the move to 3B was a curious move, but he looks great. 94 mph across the diamond. A very good athlete. Son of Jack Armstrong, the former MLB pitcher. A dark horse long shot, but he might just finally fulfill the prospect status the scouts had for him since he was about 14. 

Edited by Jammer7