So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Orioles “perfect offseason”?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35131093/perfect-mlb-offseason-plans-5-key-teams

Sign T Turner, Verlander, Martin, J Turner and Bassitt.

167M payroll.

I'd be over the moon with Verlander and Bassitt, they are probably my top 2 choices for the rotation due to the relative brevity of the commitments they'll require despite being among the best FA SPs available.

Justin Turner on a 1 year deal would be fine with me if he's mostly DHing, which I assume is their idea.

Gonna have to pass on Trea, really don't see his contract aging well. Would definitely improve us for a few years though.

No strong feelings one way or the other on Martin, bullpen is a lot lower on my list of priorities presently. But if the deal is reasonable, sure.

Sadly though, Justin Turner is the only one I can buy into the Orioles being legitimate players for here in the real world.

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'd be over the moon with Verlander and Bassitt, they are probably my top 2 choices for the rotation due to the relative brevity of the commitments they'll require despite being among the best FA SPs available.

Justin Turner on a 1 year deal would be fine with me if he's mostly DHing, which I assume is their idea.

Gonna have to pass on Trea, really don't see his contract aging well. Would definitely improve us for a few years though.

No strong feelings one way or the other on Martin, bullpen is a lot lower on my list of priorities presently. But if the deal is reasonable, sure.

Sadly though, Justin Turner is the only one I can buy into the Orioles being legitimate players for here in the real world.

So wait ….you were just against the signing of an older player in the Abreu thread but your all for giving a 3 year deal to Verlander? I’m confused 

30 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So wait ….you were just against the signing of an older player in the Abreu thread but your all for giving a 3 year deal to Verlander? I’m confused 

Justin Verlander is a future HOFer coming off a Cy Young season at our position of greatest need.

Jose Abreu is a 1B/DH who just saw his HR power drop by 50% at the age where most hitters begin to sharply decline.

I would have been okay with Abreu for 2 years, but I'd rather just sign JD Martinez, Justin Turner, Mitch Haniger, or Michael Conforto to a 1 or 2 year deal than go to 3 years at $20 million per for a 1B/DH heading into his late 30s and showing signs of possible decline. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Justin Verlander is a future HOFer coming off a Cy Young season at our position of greatest need.

Jose Abreu is a 1B/DH who just saw his HR power drop by 50% at the age where most hitters begin to sharply decline.

I would have been okay with Abreu for 2 years, but I'd rather just sign JD Martinez, Justin Turner, Mitch Haniger, or Michael Conforto to a 1 or 2 year deal than go to 3 years at $20 million per for a 1B/DH heading into his late 30s and showing signs of possible decline. 

Cosign, I would love to get Verlander, but I don't see it happening. I think he has at least one more season of being a TOR pitcher.  The Orioles really need a couple starters and preferably one ace to lead the rotation.

Velander can be that pitcher for the 2023 Orioles. 

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cosign, I would love to get Verlander, but I don't see it happening. I think he has at least one more season of being a TOR pitcher.  The Orioles really need a couple starters and preferably one ace to lead the rotation.

Velander can be that pitcher for the 2023 Orioles. 

Oh yeah, it will never ever happen but that should absolutely not be due to lack of effort.

Bowden is predicting the Os signing Taillon for 4/70 in his latest article on The Athletic.

That sounds like a horrible contract.

https://theathletic.com/3949761/2022/11/30/mlb-hot-stove-free-agent-fits/?source=user_shared_article

Baltimore Orioles — RHP Jameson Taillon (4 years, $70 million)

The Orioles are being as aggressive as any team in MLB in the free-agent starting pitching market. They are not involved at the “top tier” of the market — Jacob deGrom, Justin Verlander and Carlos Rodón — but they are bidding for the second- and third-tier free-agent starters. I have them landing Taillon, who went 14-5 with a 3.91 ERA and 151 strikeouts in 177 1/3 innings last season for the Yankees.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bowden is predicting the Os signing Taillon for 4/70 in his latest article on The Athletic.

Wouldn't mind Taillon on a 2-year deal, but 4 years seems excessive.   And...I would HOPE this isn't the only move that's made for a starter.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It's the price of doing business.    It's an overpay but I don't think it's horrible.    Almost any contract is going to be an overpay.   You can see the market shaping up.   You can wait for the leftovers but I wouldn't advise it.

I guess I'm the only one who likes Taillon.   At 31, the spin rates, I think there is upside there and even if he doesn't take it to another level, he's still a decent 2 WAR type of pitcher.