So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He was worth 2.3 FWAR just last year.   He's been over 3 WAR twice before his TJ surgery.    When you say he's been a #4 starter for years, you are using the 2019-2020 seasons when he didn't pitch.   In 2018 he had 3.9 FWAR.   He missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons.   In 144 IP in his first season back from T.J. he was worth 1.9 FWAR.    Last year 2.3 WAR.    

His ERA+'s for his last 3 seasons are:

2019- 106

2021- 100

2022-100

That is a #4 starter. Gambling $17.5 million a year for 4 years that he can be more than that as he gets further into his 30s is not a bet the Orioles should be willing to make.

Also, Jordan Lyles was worth 1.4 fWAR last year so Taillon's 2.3 isn't really all that impressive.

Just now, owknows said:

Yeah... things were much better when they gave it to Chris Davis.

(on a more serious note, how much money do you think they have?)

I'm not saying give out awful contracts like the one they gave to Davis (which I was against at the time), but you can sign free agents and have success.  You should be looking to upgrade the roster however possible.  Not going after free agents is as short sighted as not participating in the international market was.  

And how much $$ do they have?  I don't care.  Elias said it is liftoff this year and they will be trying to add major league players via free agency to improve the team, so they should be doing that.  

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure why we should think he has a higher ceiling considering he’s 31. Most players don’t get better in their 30s. Not impossible but shouldn’t really be a factor as to why you would sign him.

But, but...Nelson Cruz!  Barry Bonds! ...nevermind.