So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Big Ben named Sean Manaea as a guy he thinks the Orioles should target. LHP, 30, 170+ IP last year but fell from a 3.91 in 2021 to a 4.96 in 2022 (ouch). 

Seems like a guy we might be able to get back on track, and definitely fits that tier 2-3 zone. Not very exciting though, more of a Lyles replacement than anything. 

Manaea is a nice bounce back candidate who IMO is a lot better than Lyles. I would be happy with them signing him but if they're serious about winning he should not be the best starter they acquire this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

You're a very strange fan. 

Am I really?

The team won 83 games last year.

They're adding Grayson Rodriguez.

They're most likely adding Means sometime during the season.

They're returning a young core of Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Voth.

You telling me you expect them to get worse by replacing Lyles with Grayson and Means?

You telling me you don't expect maybe a little maturation out of Kremer, Bradish, Wells, and Voth?

And finally, are you telling me you don't think we need to trade some outfielders and middle infielders right now?

Trade for a high-middle of the rotation arm. Trade for a DH/1B

Call it a day

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tabletop said:

Manaea is a nice bounce back candidate who IMO is a lot better than Lyles. I would be happy with them signing him but if they're serious about winning he should not be the best starter they acquire this offseason.

Agree, I like Manaea as the secondary rotation signing because I think he does have some upside. If he's the only guy, that's a pretty big disappointment. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Am I really?

You telling me you expect them to get worse by replacing Lyles with Grayson and Means?

You telling me you don't expect maybe a little maturation out of Kremer, Bradish, Wells, and Voth?

And finally, are you telling me you don't think we need to trade some outfielders and middle infielders right now?

Call it a day

Maybe this isn't the thread for you? The rest of us in here would like to discuss possible free agent signings, please. You don't have to participate if you don't want the team to sign free agents. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, Frobby said:

Well look, I’d be lying if I said baseball was as cheap as it was when I was a kid.  And obviously player salaries have a lot to do with it, so don’t get me wrong.  I’m just saying that there’s a wide variance between the expensive and inexpensive tickets, and teams run a lot of promotions.   You can buy a 13 game plan for less than $17/ticket if you’re so inclined.  You can buy tickets on the Kids Cheer Free promotion.   It is not at all far fetched that you could take a family of four to an Orioles game for under $100.

took my grandson to an Orioles game in August, Houston and Trey was in town, it was a good time.

Got left field seats for $40, and it included all you could eat hot dogs, nachos, popcorn and peanuts, as well as all you could drink soda.

Obviously there are different level of deals, and throw in parking, I was out $100 for two and was okay with it.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Big Ben named Sean Manaea as a guy he thinks the Orioles should target. LHP, 30, 170+ IP last year but fell from a 3.91 in 2021 to a 4.96 in 2022 (ouch). 

Seems like a guy we might be able to get back on track, and definitely fits that tier 2-3 zone. Not very exciting though, more of a Lyles replacement than anything. I d

Love Big Ben..but this is a horrible idea.

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

Am I really?

Call it a day

I don't mean that as anything personal.  But you are way too optimistic and assuming that everyone will perform as well, or better, than last year.  I would not count on Kremer, Bradish, Wells, and Voth all pitching well and locking down spots in the rotation.

And yes, we should trade some outfielders.  But why are you so against spending money on free agents?  We have one of the lowest payrolls in the majors.  This is EXACTLY what a successful rebuild looks like - having a cheap, young core, and supplementing it with veterans via free agency and trade.  That's what they need to do.  Thankfully, I think Elias agrees.  And unless you are an Angelos and your personal dollars would be going to these players, I cannot imagine why you are against that. 

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

Am I really?

Call it a day

You can’t really rely on Means in 2023 though.  I agree he’s likely to come back but you don’t know what he will look like to say, we can hang our hat on him

They absolutely have to add at least 1 starter.

The discussion should be, who and how do you acquire that guy?

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe this isn't the thread for you? The rest of us in here would like to discuss possible free agent signings, please. You don't have to participate if you don't want the team to sign free agents. 

So are you suggesting that discussing NOT signing free agents is forbidden?

Does this somehow prevent you from discussing signing them?

Or is this some kind of tantrum?

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

If Means comes back for more than 1 month of the season this year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyone counting on John Means being John Means by July is smoking that REAL good stuff. 

But wouldn't you rather take that chance than spend any of the Angelos's money? I mean, it's their money! What do you expect, them to spend it to make the team better? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

But wouldn't you rather take that chance than spend any of the Angelos's money? I mean, it's their money! What do you expect, them to spend it to make the team better? 

God forbid we actually reach the expenditure of the Tampa Bay Rays, who by the way, do spend on free agents.