“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

15 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Rizzo got 2 years, 34 million from the Yankees,with an option for $17 mil the third year  

That looks like a steal now. I get that Abreu had a higher Baseball Reference WAR, but their OPS+ was very similar. Abreu's was propped up more by OBP whereas Rizzo was more on power, but personally, value-wise, I viewed them very similarly and figured Rizzo would have an easier time getting the third year than Abreu given he's about 2.5 years younger. 

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

That looks like a steal now. I get that Abreu had a higher Baseball Reference WAR, but their OPS+ was very similar. Abreu's was propped up more by OBP whereas Rizzo was more on power, but personally, value-wise, I viewed them very similarly and figured Rizzo would have an easier time getting the third year than Abreu given he's about 2.5 years younger. 

Joel Sherman for what it is worth wrote this:

wrote earlier this month about bats I liked if the NYM lost Nimmo's. Abreu was 1, in part because he hits good pitching: MLB-best .359 BA (min 50 PAs) v. top 25 pitchers (minimum 100 innings) in OPS against.

• Upvote 1

Wonder how Astros will compare Brantley and Yuli (or the field) for the other of the 1B/DH positions.    Yuli Gurriel and Jose Abreu would be cool to see team up as two of their country's greatest hitters of a certain age.

In the spirit of the just finished holiday, I'll be thankful for any $10-20mm player(s) the offseason brings but positionally didn't feel Abreu was an efficient use of surely limited $$$.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Wonder how Astros will compare Brantley and Yuli (or the field) for the other of the 1B/DH positions.    Yuli Gurriel and Jose Abreu would be cool to see team up as two of their country's greatest hitters of a certain age.

In the spirit of the just finished holiday, I'll be thankful for any $10-20mm player(s) the offseason brings but positionally didn't feel Abreu was an efficient use of surely limited $$$.

We are going to be able to justify every non-move with this logic.

22 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The assumption seems to be that Abreu replaces Yuli. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah, I can see that happening.  I was thinking similar with the sticker shock on the Abreu thread.  But the positional excuse thins out when talking SPs.  If we're not willing to spend on SPs (where all of our rotational options have some type of questions), then are we willing to spend at all in FA?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It’s true.  The way the FA market works, the acquiring team usually pays more than anyone else is willing to pay, so you always can question if the deal made sense.  

Corollary: the early deals are almost always on the high end of what anyone expected the player would get.  That’s why the player signs the deal so early.  

Edited by Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s true.  The way the FA market works, the acquiring team usually pays more than anyone else is willing to pay, so you always can question if the deal made sense.  

Of course it's true.

It's also true that in trades the acquiring team usually pays more than anyone else is willing to pay.

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

They probably wouldn't even bother saying "goodbye" before hanging up the phone. 

It would need to be more like Cowser, Hall, Mayo, and Ortiz.

I completely agree. If we were coming off a 90 win season and deep playoff run, and were looking for that last piece to put us over the top, maybe, but we are definitely not there yet.

I’m confused …. I offered Cowser, Hall, and Ortiz….with that I’m giving them their choice of a pitcher and Rom

You are offering 4 that include my 3 plus Mayo. If they value Mayo over the two pitchers fine. But, I’m not sure your offer is marketedly better.  Personally I’d rather have the two pitchers

Winner's Curse!    

We won't get a view until February if Elias gets to use 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 million dollars.     Broadly Correa's the only position player I have any taste for getting any part of the "first 30" million given his shot at concentrating a lot of wins in one roster spot.     I don't believe there's even 30 so can't sweat not winning early Bats auctions too much.

23 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Winner's Curse!    

We won't get a view until February if Elias gets to use 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 million dollars.     Broadly Correa's the only position player I have any taste for getting any part of the "first 30" million given his shot at concentrating a lot of wins in one roster spot.     I don't believe there's even 30 so can't sweat not winning early Bats auctions too much.

I agree