“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Jim Crane is running the ship.   He just gave Rafael Montero, a good not great reliever, 3/34.5M.

I made a mistake in my prior post when I said Abreu’s last contract was 3/$38 mm.  It was 3/$50 mm.  I’ve corrected my post.  Given that, 3/$60 mm seems a little less crazy.  It’s still very aggressive.  

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I am presently readying my body for a Michael Wacha and Trey Mancini type of offseason.

As the top guys command insane amounts, it only increases competition for the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. I hope Elias and JA came into this offseason understanding how hard it is to actually get guys to sign on the dotted line. There's no time to look for deals. Guys are going to get deals that exceed their actual worth by a fair margin, that's just how it works in FA. 

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

He didn't get $60m.

The Astros are closing in on a deal with free agent first baseman José Abreu. It will be a three-year deal for $19.5MM per season, bringing the total to $58.5MM. The deal is pending a physical.

That is a rounding error.

• Like 1

I wonder if this says anything about the market as a whole.  This is certainly a richer deal than most were expecting.   Could mean there’s a lot of dollars chasing players this winter, or it could just be the Astros wanting to close fast on Abreu and being very aggressive with him.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if this says anything about the market as a whole.  This is certainly a richer deal than most were expecting.   Could mean there’s a lot of dollars chasing players this winter, or it could just be the Astros wanting to close fast on Abreu and being very aggressive with him.  

Rizzo got 2 years, 34 million from the Yankees,with an option for $17 mil the third year  

32 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

He didn't get $60m.

The Astros are closing in on a deal with free agent first baseman José Abreu. It will be a three-year deal for $19.5MM per season, bringing the total to $58.5MM. The deal is pending a physical.

I'm not that surprised he got 3 years, but $58.5M or $60M or whatever is higher than I expected. I was hoping the Orioles could get him for something like 2/$34M and may have been willing to go an extra year, but this was surprising that he got that much.

23 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This kind of contract happens when an owner fires his GM and decides he can Steinbrenner or Moreno his way through.

The same owner who nixed a deal where he gave up a controllable starter for Contreras and then won the WS? What an idiot he must be.