“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I have no idea .. but they didn’t want him pretty clearly which I believe will turn out to  be a mistake. 

Look at it this way: he signed with the best team in baseball, which plays in a state that has no state income tax.  What would it have taken to beat Houston’s offer?  Wouid even 3/$63 mm have done it?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if this says anything about the market as a whole.  This is certainly a richer deal than most were expecting.   Could mean there’s a lot of dollars chasing players this winter, or it could just be the Astros wanting to close fast on Abreu and being very aggressive with him.  

I don’t think he’s out of line with what many thought. It was just a question of 2 or 3 years.

3 hours ago, mall-O-cup said:

George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees from 1973 - 2010. The team had 7 World Series appearances producing 5 Titles.

Jim Crane, owner of the Houston Astros since 2011. The team has had 4 World Series appearances producing 2 Titles.

Peter Angelos, owner of the Orioles since 1993.  Zero World Series appearances.

Crane had some of the best front office staff personnel in baseball during that run.

Having said that, Abreu has a chance to maintain his level of performance.  I just don’t support the Orioles paying $19.5 mil per for 3 years on that bet.

12 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

It looks like a lot of competition for FA pitchers. It may be hard to sign a veteran pitcher since many teams are looking for the same as us, less expensive. Any thoughts anyone?

The most intriguing options to me are via trade. I would be inquiring on any of Burnes, Woodruff, Gallen, Singer, Quantrill, Snell, Stroman, and Kelly. I'd be open to trading anyone outside our top three depending on who we get back.  

Eovaldi and Bassit are still possibilities through FA.

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Be interesting to see how much more the Orioles spend on free agents. If they kept Mancini and did not do the buyout and also Lyles would have been $21 million in salary Do they spend $21 million in free agent signings? 

I expect them to spend 40-50 million per. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Annually ?

Yes …. I expect the annual expenditure to jump from 40 million to 80+. 

If they are fully out of rebuild mode as Elias said it’s time to help the team with some real talent. And making the payroll 80-90 million is hardly stomping on the accelerator with it being so low. 

I still think we are in on Correa until he signs elsewhere. I would be surprised if we don’t spend somewhere around 20 million on a starter. If they set the annual number at just $100 million Elias should be able to do some real damage. 

Their total revenue should be somewhere around $275 million as @Frobby and I discussed a day or two ago. Honestly they could afford a payroll of $175 with that annual revenue. I know they need to save money to extend Adley and think they should do it sooner as they can keep his annual number lower by doing so. 

Forgot to mentIon what a couple key additions would do for ticket sales

Edited by Roll Tide

55 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Expect them to spend, sure, in a fantasy land, I love to see them spending that much, and they could.

I dont see them coming remotely close to that.

Then they aren’t signing any difference makers. So they should do nothing but trade. Anyone they can get under $17 or so million per is trash.

The Abreu signing is the most money the Astros have given a FA since this run began.

The Orioles are going to treat FA very similarly.  Short term deals that fill a few gaps here and there.

Bigger moves are trades, who you keep internally and how you draft and develop.  IE, the best way to build a team.

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Then they aren’t signing any difference makers. So they should do nothing but trade. Anyone they can get under $17 or so million per is trash.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You ain't getting a #1-#3 for that without getting a lucky outlier season.

I dont disagree with either of you.

My biggest problem with the front office. Up till this season, I had no issues with Elias, he was doing what he was hired to do.

Dont pretend and mislead us by telling the fans, you are going to blast off and contend, and then not even try, especially at trade deadline, the team was playing well and you threw in the towel.

• Upvote 1