“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Teams seem to have forgot that we are in the post steroid era, and now players have normal decline phases in their 30's.  San Diego better hope they win big in the next few years.  The back end of their contracts is going to be really bad.

I'd be disappointed in this offseason but im truly not at all now, i want no part of signing any of the big bats if it takes 9+ year deals especially for positions we're strong in the farm system and the top tier arms were never coming here. This is why we need to lock up our youngsters 8-11year deals sooner rather than later. Best to have them under control from early 20s-early 30s than savaging the FA market to give out the 8-11year deals to early 30s players. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they are expecting a rather higher OBP than the 300 Santander carries.

.318 this past year, but when healthy, he hasn;t made it over low .300's.  I was thinking he ended up around  .330 this year. We'll see how it works, probably would have been better to sign Benintendi for about the same amount. 

4 hours ago, Winter said:

these contracts are just insane. 

Every team is flush with cash right now (including... you guessed it! The Orioles) They all received over 250 million some say it's upwards of 300 million in revenue this year.

We are one of the few teams who decided to pocket it all (well almost all). People being shocked at salaries should understand that the players union saw this reality of all the additional revenues and rightful asked for their piece of the pie. Under a fair revenue sharing system, the owners should not be allowed to pocket all or even most of the profits.

My only hope for the Orioles is for new ownership at some point soon.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sounds like the Sox are hoping for Santander w/o the power.  Massive overpay, but we'll see

Nah…he’s a much better all around hitter than Santander. High average and high OBP. That said, nothing more than a glorified DH, so it does seem to be an overpay.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Maybe but they were in on Turner and Judge so it seems they just wanted to sign someone significant. 

Yea but if they feel they are going to lose Manny, trying to replace him now is ok.  They have a lot of money coming off the books after this year even if Manny stays.

That said, they did make their defense worse and their payroll for this year is now at 250M. That’s insane for that market. Now, their owner doesn’t care but if this doesn’t go well, they will be dumping contracts left and right.

They were a team that was building something like the Os are. They had a great system, tons of payroll flexibility, etc…

Well now they have traded away the system and have greatly hindered or lost their long term payroll flexibility. If they win it all, it will have been worth it.

If they continue to be what they were in 2022, it will be a complete failure. 

I think they regret this contract relatively soon.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Is the Bogaerts deal an indication that they believe Manny will opt out if he has a good year?

Probably.   Crazy to think Manny wouldn’t be happy with the 5/$150 mm coming to him, but he’ll have more leverage at age 31 (assuming he has a good year) than at age 36.   My guess would have been that he’d be angling for an extension from the Padres, but now with this Bogaerts signing I’m not sure they’ll be up for it.   So, we could see Manny on the market next offseason.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably.   Crazy to think Manny wouldn’t be happy with the 5/$150 mm coming to him, but he’ll have more leverage at age 31 (assuming he has a good year) than at age 36.   My guess would have been that he’d be angling for an extension from the Padres, but now with this Bogaerts signing I’m not sure they’ll be up for it.   So, we could see Manny on the market next offseason.  

I suppose SD is just going to be in go for it mode this year but you wonder if they have any thought about trading him now vs potentially losing him for nothing.

I doubt it but the conversation had to have occurred.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but if they feel they are going to lose Manny, trying to replace him now is ok.  They have a lot of money coming off the books after this year even if Manny stays.

That said, they did make their defense worse and their payroll for this year is now at 250M. That’s insane for that market. Now, their owner doesn’t care but if this doesn’t go well, they will be dumping contracts left and right.

They were a team that was building something like the Os are. They had a great system, tons of payroll flexibility, etc…

Well now they have traded away the system and have greatly hindered or lost their long term payroll flexibility. If they win it all, it will have been worth it.

If they continue to be what they were in 2022, it will be a complete failure. 

I think they regret this contract relatively soon.

I remember they had 8 prospects in the top 100 in 2019.

Tatis - superstar, injury prone, performance enhancer suspension recovering from injury. still with the padres
Gore - career 4.50 era
Urias - solid 2 WAR everyday player for the Brewers
Paddack - injury issues, career 4.20 era, just had Tommy John
Patino - career 5.10 era
Mejia - backup catcher
Morejon - career 5.05 era, still with the padres
Allen - career 5.89 era

When you look at what became of all those top 100 guys it looks to me like they made the right decision in trading most of them away to bring in proven major leaguers and compete for a World Series.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tabletop said:

I remember they had 8 prospects in the top 100 in 2019.

Tatis - superstar, injury prone, performance enhancer suspension recovering from injury. still with the padres
Gore - career 4.50 era
Urias - solid 2 WAR everyday player for the Brewers
Paddack - injury issues, career 4.20 era, just had Tommy John
Patino - career 5.10 era
Mejia - backup catcher
Morejon - career 5.05 era, still with the padres
Allen - career 5.89 era

When you look at what became of all those top 100 guys it looks to me like they made the right decision in trading most of them away to bring in proven major leaguers and compete for a World Series.

A lesson that prospects are just prospects  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is the Bogaerts deal an indication that they believe Manny will opt out if he has a good year?

Rosenthal said this. He essentially said, given that Manny will be 31, and knowing the paydays that similarly aged players received, the Padres basically expect Manny to opt out and Xander provides insurance when that happens.

Just now, Sydnor said:

Rosenthal said this. He essentially said, given that Manny will be 31, and knowing the paydays that similarly aged players received, the Padres basically expect Manny to opt out and Xander provides insurance when that happens.

Makes sense, Manny will get more than 5/150 if he has another big year.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The 2023 Padres are a lot better than the 2018 Orioles, and Xander isn't the new Chris Davis, but I also get the feeling Manny's sense of deja vu is alive a little bit.    At least the part about...I'm better than this guy and you just gave him how much?

If you are ownership or Preller, you probably know today you can't keep Manny and Soto both for the longer term.    Its admirable competition - there's no indefinite pipeline in San Diego.

Had BOS kept Xander at 30-ish to go with Yoshida 20, Kenley 16, Martin 8, I might have thought beating BAL 75-10 at buying 2023 Wins would get them back better than us.   As is we've beaten them 2 out of last 3 years and I hope going for 9 out of 10.    Bloom's expensive reliever signings unfuzzy life for Garrett Whitlock and Tanner Houck - like Tyler Wells and DL Hall I think Club hopes for more than 60 innings even while knowing 162 and ERA-title qualification a bridge too far.