Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Tampa seems to be more committed than the O's as far as doing what it takes to win.  They have extended a substantial number of their young players.  Maybe the model is really Oakland.

I find no fault or points of departure with anything stated.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fuji was alright in NPB.  3.41 ERA.  He was an All-star three years in a row, All-Star game MVP, league strikeout leader.  

I don't know if Elias and Sig think they're the smartest guys in the room.  You don't really know that either, you just like to sit back and pontificate that think that way because it sounds good to write that on a message board.

I don't think that Elias and Sig think they're the smartest guys in the room because they're not only in the business of building a franchise, but they're in the business of finding new ways to look at the game and assess talent.  If they thought they were the smartest guys in the room I think they'd sit around and pat themselves on the back and not try to move forward.  There's no signs of that.

You’re right I don’t know and have no way of knowing. I should have stated it in a way that was more suggestive than fact.

There is of course the possibility of the other alternative, which I shudder to think about. But that is Angelos holds the purse strings so tight that moves like Fujinama are all Elias can do?

Whatever it was that led us to try to plug the relief pitching need with a player as inconsistent and unreliable as Fujinama was probably not the right move. I don’t think the gamble in and of itself was a bad idea. But it should have been backed up by a reliever who had more of a track record in MLB and also one (as has been pointed out in this thread) who had something different to offer than Cano and Bautista (different delivery, pitch mix/arsenal, something).

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

You’re right I don’t know and have no way of knowing. I should have stated it in a way that was more suggestive than fact.

There is of course the possibility of the other alternative, which I shudder to think about. But that is Angelos holds the purse strings so tight that moves like Fujinama are all Elias can do?

Whatever it was that led us to try to plug the relief pitching need with a player as inconsistent and unreliable as Fujinama was probably not the right move. I don’t think the gamble in and of itself was a bad idea. But it should have been backed up by a reliever who had more of a track record in MLB and also one (as has been pointed out in this thread) who had something different to offer than Cano and Bautista (different delivery, pitch mix/arsenal, something).

I agree, I wanted them to get two stud relievers at the deadline this year.  

I think they're going to try to patchwork it from within...DL Hall, Means, etc.  I don't really think that's a great idea but we'll see how it shakes out.

• Upvote 1

When we play a really good team it is made brutally clear what the gap is between a really good team and one which is merely better than they have been in recent years.  Now that the problem is defined, what will be done about it?   Very little at trade deadline time, apparently.

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

When we play a really good team it is made brutally clear what the gap is between a really good team and one which is merely better than they have been in recent years.  Now that the problem is defined, what will be done about it?   Very little at trade deadline time, apparently.

I believe that we missed two important deadlines for team improvement for this season (offseason and in-season trade window). 

It kind of is what it is at this point as @Moose Milligan suggested we are kind of stuck with hoping that converted relievers like Means and Hall give us some reinforcements. 

All I have is the hope that all of this negative press/attention that Angelos has received nationally as the team can no longer fly under the national razor, influences him to give Elias a green light to make meaningful additions in the offseason. 

IMO if we come back next season with similar (Frazier, Gibson) add-ons, we are likely to be at this same place next year. The only difference is that Adley and Gunnar will just be another year closer to FA.

We should have a better lineup as some of our young players improve/are more experienced. But the high end pitching talent needed to challenge and beat the best teams is still lacking within the org.

11 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I understand not trading the O's best prospects for a 2 month rental, but more moves should have been made at the deadline.  Maybe Elias thinks the team is not "ready" to win but the record says otherwise.  Maybe this year is the O's best chance at a ring and not 2024 or 2025.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Something I've noticed is that it seems like if Fuji feels he's been squeezed on a pitch by the ump he seems to lose focus entirely and just can't throw strikes after that.  Just something that a fan like me has noticed on tv.  I don't know if it's really a thing or not - and I don't know what, if anything, can be done to fix it if it's really a thing.  Seems like a pitcher from anywhere in the world who has worked his way up to being a MLB pitcher would have almost certainly experienced umpiring issues along the way and learned to deal with it somehow, but I don't know.

I got that vibe from him last night. Hadn't noticed it before. Not sure if he disagreed with the call or just really wanted a close pitch. In this case I did not think he was squeezed. 

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

With our guys limited to one inning, shouldn't someone be up and at least getting loose as soon as the guy before him comes in? Especially when it is a guy with a propensity to drill batters.

That is not how it works. You try to avoid warming up guys unless/until they are going to be needed, otherwise you contribute to burnout.

3 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

You do need to leave him in for 3 hitters because of the new rules.  In a close game that will kill you if he is walking everyone.

To me he just looks like a guy that is full of anxiety.  As soon as he walks a guy, especially in a tight game, you can see his body language and it tells you he is very uncomfortable.  I don't think he is a guy that you can depend on in a high leverage situation so saying that how valuable is he to the team?

Truthfully the last 2 games have been possibly lost by coaching decisions.  Tuesday night was having an inexperienced Mateo in center when we are trying to protect a lead and last night was bringing an inconsistent Fuji into a tight game against one of the best offensive teams in baseball.  Maybe we lose both games regardless of these moves but I almost feel like we are running tryouts and you can't do that against the Astro's. 

Duh!  I air balled on the new(ish) rules.  Of course he has to go 3 batters.  

I completely agree on the body language.  He looks like a pitcher that is focused on what happens after the ball leaves his hand vs. a guy trying to execute a pitch and move on.  He gets so caught up in the close calls that it’s anxiety inducing for the audience.  

I have zero faith in his ability in the near term to be effective.  Just way too much of a gamble.  I’d love to get him signed on a 1-2 year deal and see what the dev team could do, but I don’t want to see him in a tight game any time soon.  

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Then when a bullpen batter gets hurt by a HBP it's the stupidest thing ever. 

Heh?  It’s pretty common practice in training.  Also, some teams use “dummies”.  I’ve always thought it was a no brainer for guys getting ready to come int ok the game.  Why wouldn’t your prepare as close to game situation as possible? 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Something I've noticed is that it seems like if Fuji feels he's been squeezed on a pitch by the ump he seems to lose focus entirely and just can't throw strikes after that.  Just something that a fan like me has noticed on tv.  I don't know if it's really a thing or not - and I don't know what, if anything, can be done to fix it if it's really a thing.  Seems like a pitcher from anywhere in the world who has worked his way up to being a MLB pitcher would have almost certainly experienced umpiring issues along the way and learned to deal with it somehow, but I don't know.

I absolutely agree with that observation. I mentioned it to my wife the second or third time we saw him pitch. He seems very high strung. Don't know whether he just needs more experience (he's not that young), a sports psychologist, or a dose of now legal recreational substances.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I wanted them to get two stud relievers at the deadline this year.  

I think they're going to try to patchwork it from within...DL Hall, Means, etc.  I don't really think that's a great idea but we'll see how it shakes out.

Don’t forget Tyler Wells, I think he has the best chance at making an impact as a reliable high leverage reliever assuming he isn’t needed back in the starting rotation.

I agree with you that Elias should have traded for at least one impact relief pitcher at the trade deadline. The likes of Fujinami, Perez and others aren’t the answer when it comes to beating teams like the Astros in a playoff series. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don’t forget Tyler Wells, I think he has the best chance at making an impact as a reliable high leverage reliever assuming he isn’t needed back in the starting rotation.

I agree with you that Elias should have traded for at least one impact relief pitcher at the trade deadline. The likes of Fujinami, Perez and others aren’t the answer when it comes to beating teams like the Astros in a playoff series. 

I wonder if they could match up Wells against the bottom of the order. His biggest issue has been home runs. He could be very effective as a dependable pitch to contact guy. 

3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Heh?  It’s pretty common practice in training.  Also, some teams use “dummies”.  I’ve always thought it was a no brainer for guys getting ready to come int ok the game.  Why wouldn’t your prepare as close to game situation as possible? 

Wild Thing Major League GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1