The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I am ready for the pendulum swing from They Aren't Spending Enough to They're Spending It Wrong in however many milliseconds it takes the Orioles Twitter feed (or whatever they use) to propagate.   Might be this winter, might be next winter.   

I don't think Adley Rutschman is going to leave BAL never having played for a $125-$150mm ballclub.    If he's here long term, Elias I believe will get to spend a billion plus on MLB payroll through the end of Jackson Holliday's years of Club control.

I have been consistently and intensely anti-Rodon since the very start so in the ludicrously unlikely event that Elias completely reverses course and signs him to a massive long-term contract, I reserve the right to criticize the move as much as I want.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but they've also traded away a lot of good talent over the years. it does seem like they are trying to stop that by risking these long term deals on young players. That's a risk because not all of these guys are going to work out. 

There is risk for sure but extensions can fit with the model if they can help retain talent for below market rates. Of course, the player and agent have to agree.

37 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I am ready for the pendulum swing from They Aren't Spending Enough to They're Spending It Wrong in however many milliseconds it takes the Orioles Twitter feed (or whatever they use) to propagate.   Might be this winter, might be next winter.   

I don't think Adley Rutschman is going to leave BAL never having played for a $125-$150mm ballclub.    If he's here long term, Elias I believe will get to spend a billion plus on MLB payroll through the end of Jackson Holliday's years of Club control.

If they can extend both Adley and Gunnar you could get 6/6.5 years of Adley/Gunnar/Holliday from 2024-30. 

Right now peak Orioles looks to be 25-27. If they are good in 24 and Holliday is “ready” I don’t think they will hesitate to bring him up. 

Be nice to have as many runs as possible with that trio. Potential to compare to Brooks/Frank/Boog. 

If Cowser pans out or Westburg/Ortiz/Mayo etc it’s hard not to be excited. You could have a mid 90’s Indians type home grown team.  

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

All of this begs the question: were the Orioles truly offering Correa a huge contract last off-season per all those rumors? 

Maybe, but not now, Because Gunnar, Mateo, Westburg, and Ortiz. 

I know there’s a lot of bad feelings around here because we didn’t land one of the big SP, but I like where we’re at. I think we’re a WC team, lots of factors in play, and that we can “buy” at the deadline and get better dollar return on our prospects then. I do think we need to enter the season with a vet bat. Brantley and Voit, seem like the best two options. I think Brantley would help our lineup avoid some of those long slumps that happened last year. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe, but not now, Because Gunnar, Mateo, Westburg, and Ortiz. 

I know there’s a lot of bad feelings around here because we didn’t land one of the big SP, but I like where we’re at. I think we’re a WC team, lots of factors in play, and that we can “buy” at the deadline and get better dollar return on our prospects then. I do think we need to enter the season with a vet bat. Brantley and Voit, seem like the best two options. I think Brantley would help our lineup avoid some of those long slumps that happened last year. 

I certainly like where we're AT. No complaints there, really.

I just don't like where we'll BE if ownership doesn't pony up for either a) extensions for our young core or b) legitimate free agent talent to supplement that core with. 

We only have so many years with this core. Adley even less time due to the CBA. 

12 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I have been consistently and intensely anti-Rodon since the very start so in the ludicrously unlikely event that Elias completely reverses course and signs him to a massive long-term contract, I reserve the right to criticize the move as much as I want.

That's quite a word salad to say you won't be happy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

I'm thinking 3.5 to 4.2 ERA (a 12 to 14 win guy) with an indication that their HR numbers would benefit from Camden Cavern.

People over-value this, IMO. So what if an average pitcher comes here and gets a superficial boost from pitching in NuCamden? The Camden boost only applies for half the games, and the other pitcher is getting the same park advantages in those games. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's quite a word salad to say you won't be happy.

I'm just saying, if we were to sign Rodon (we obviously won't, but let's pretend it's possible for a second), it would be pretty damn hypocritical if I were to suddenly cheer for it just because "hurr durr, we spent da moneys!"

So I'll continue b*tching about it if Elias shocks the entire world and signs him.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I certainly like where we're AT. No complaints there, really.

I just don't like where we'll BE if ownership doesn't pony up for either a) extensions for our young core or b) legitimate free agent talent to supplement that core with. 

We only have so many years with this core. Adley even less time due to the CBA. 

I just think the organization is in a very good place, and such good things happened at the MLB and in the farm, that we now need to evaluate what we really have. Anything can happen, but I think we’ll be in the thick of the WC hunt in July, and we’ll have a better overall handle on guys like Ortiz, Norby, Mayo, Stowers, and the recent draft class. You don’t want to spend all this time building a system and then sell low on those players I just mentioned. 

The 4-13 start to last year is also fresh in everyone’s mind too. However, We don’t need to sign a bunch of FA to prevent that. We need to have our best players up on OD, and have our needs filled as best as possible. 

I think Brantley is the best fit on the market for us right now. Hopefully the Astros get Varshu(sp?) via trade and won’t have room for Brantley. I think Brantley is well worth the Kyle Gibson 1/10-12 million type deal. We just gotta be able to have him, and Santander, be the primary DHs, to keep them both healthy. 

This thread is all over the place, and mostly because we didn't sign Bassitt. Kinda funny if you think about it.

As it relates to long term extensions for young talent, all I really have to say is I assume a new ownership group will be different than the current ownership group. Let's hope that happens very soon. Who knows, maybe the intra-family squabble made that happen sooner than otherwise expected.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bassitt was a guy I preferred and I thought that was a contract the Orioles could have matched or beat (not knowing their budget of course). 

Rodon is the only TOR guy left but I'd be shocked if the Orioles somehow pulled that off. He's perfect fit for Camden Yards now. 

Other than that, it's going to have to be a trade if they want an impact guy in the rotation. Check out this thread for those option.

Would you go 7 years for Rodon at $30mm per as rumored?  

17 minutes ago, deward said:

People over-value this, IMO. So what if an average pitcher comes here and gets a superficial boost from pitching in NuCamden? The Camden boost only applies for half the games, and the other pitcher is getting the same park advantages in those games. 

For some guys it seems to have made a significant difference. I was dorkind around with a spreadsheet the other night...

PA ERA BA OBP SLG OPS
Dean Kremer Home 250 2.84 0.239 0.293 0.317 0.611
Dean Kremer Away 262 3.63 0.285 0.341 0.46 0.801

Jordan Lyles Home 356 3.47 0.277 0.329 0.399 0.725
Jordan Lyles Away 418 5.25 0.275 0.333 0.5 0.833

Cionel Perez Home 125 0.29 0.2 0.28 0.218 0.498
Cionel Perez Away 109 2.73 0.242 0.303 0.343 0.646