Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

If they signed him, it would most likely be for 1 year (at least to start). If it doesn't go well, or he's a distraction, you cut him because he's making league minimum and its low risk. You tell the media you wanted to give him a chance to hit the reset button, however he chose to continue to make decisions you couldn't agree with and you felt it was best to cut ties. 

I think its probably more likely that he walks the line and is worth the risk bc of the potential to get a low cost 3+ WAR arm.

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If they signed him, it would most likely be for 1 year (at least to start). If it doesn't go well, or he's a distraction, you cut him because he's making league minimum and its low risk. You tell the media you wanted to give him a chance to hit the reset button, however he chose to continue to make decisions you couldn't agree with and you felt it was best to cut ties. 

I think its probably more likely that he walks the line and is worth the risk bc of the potential to get a low cost 3+ WAR arm.

The guy was potentially on his way to a 6 rWAR season in 2021 when he got put on admin leave. Someone mentioned the homers are a concern. I would argue that OPACY would be the best park for him in a reclamation effort. 

I don’t know if he’s going to give you that type of season but I would suggest that at the league minimum, there isn’t a pitcher acquisition that can offer the same potential ROI.

I still maintain that the Dodgers are an ideal trading partner for the Orioles. As has been discussed ad nausea, Mateo profiles as a fit for their current needs. I don’t think the O’s can offer Mateo straight up for Bauer without them taking on most, if not all of the money owed to Bauer but that handicaps them from being able to make additional moves and remain under the CBT. Do the O’s take on half and the Dodgers throw in another arm for additional assets going to LAD from Bal?

That is where my head is with the situation. In discussing assets for assets, I don’t think you stop at Bauer. 

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hey, I just got a drone for Christmas! lol

@Tony-OH If you get certified as a drone pilot you can make some pretty good money. I have a colleague down in the Wilmington, NC area who flies for-hire and makes a good chunk of change doing it. Plus, it’s like his favorite thing to do so a big win-win for him. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

If you mean, washed up as a player, how could you possibly know that?  He was worth 3.0 rWAR in half a season in 2021, before his suspension.  Put it this way, if not for the baggage, every team in MLB would be glad to have him for the major league minimum. 

Haha man, I was doing a really good job not engaging in this thread but in a moment of weakness I fired off this bad post and almost immediately deleted it. Of course you quoted it within the 60 seconds it took for me to change my mind.

I have no evidence. I've heard rumors barely worth mentioning that he can't hit 90 and is way out of shape. No one is actually reporting that though. Do I think he'll fail at a comeback? Yes I do. But that's nothing more than my own flippant opinion.

Anyway, back to trying to pretend this thread doesn't exist. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha man, I was doing a really good job not engaging in this thread but in a moment of weakness I fired off this bad post and almost immediately deleted it. Of course you quoted it within the 60 seconds it took for me to change my mind.

I have no evidence. I've heard rumors barely worth mentioning that he can't hit 90 and is way out of shape. No one is actually reporting that though. Do I think he'll fail at a comeback? Yes I do. But that's nothing more than my own flippant opinion.

Anyway, back to trying to pretend this thread doesn't exist. 

Not doubting you, but out of sheer curiosity, where have you heard these rumors? 

41 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Not doubting you, but out of sheer curiosity, where have you heard these rumors? 

I second this. Someone else posted a video of him over the summer going against Cod League guys and he was sitting mid 90s. He was screwing with them just as he does with the major league guys, which some say irks some folks. 

Edited by banks703

10 hours ago, banks703 said:

Pretty great little blog or whatever that is. Nice find. How did you happen upon that? 

Bauer and Eric Sim, (KoJ) live in a world where social media presence is everything. They found each other and benefit from the mutual exposure. Eric Sim, if you can get past the obscenity, is hilarious. He's a dude who has created his own internet persona and is thriving;

If Bauer is sitting 92-93, touching 95 on an indoor mound without the luxury of major league coaches or a major league training program, I feel pretty confident that he’s still got the arm talent 18 months after throwing in a game that matters. 

@Jim'sKid26 Nice find!

Also it’s nice to see Jake finding something to do now that baseball is behind him. 

38 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Bauer and Eric Sim, (KoJ) live in a world where social media presence is everything. They found each other and benefit from the mutual exposure. Eric Sim, if you can get past the obscenity, is hilarious. He's a dude who has created his own internet persona and is thriving;

I’m sorry, Buddy. I didn’t see that you were responding to me. Thanks for the info. 

Unfortunately, we are all living in that world where social media presence is everything. There was a poll conducted by something (I’m butchering it I know because I can’t recall off of the top of my head) of kids 11-16. They were asked what career they wanted to pursue when they are older. It was Doctor, social media influencer and YouTube star as the top 3. 

Kids dream more today about being an influencer than an astronaut or athlete. Times is crazy. 

• Upvote 1

This thread is representative of why I don’t want the orioles to pick this guy up. He’s a distraction. This guy and his pretty bizarre history will be discussed over and over and over by the national media, all over social media, and even by diehard Orioles fans. I want the focus on Grayson, Adley, Gunnar, D.L., etc. I want the Orioles to win, but not at all costs. 

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

I second this. Someone else posted a video of him over the summer going against Cod League guys and he was sitting mid 90s. He was screwing with them just as he does with the major league guys, which some say irks some folks. 

Please elaborate or provide a link.

Are you saying that he participated in any type of game (or simulated game) over the summer, while under the terms of a MLB contract?  That would clearly (even under suspension) violate a MLB contract-see attached Service 5.a (page 340 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement-did not change between 21/22) and no 18.b would not apply as it pertains to post season games (barnstorming/winter ball).   

https://www.mlbplayers.com/cba

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

I thought he was a loser before the allegations, and I'd rather the Orioles not enter a Josh Lueke-esque situation by signing him. That being said, purely based off schadenfreude, I am curious regarding reports of him being bad at baseball.  

The Dodgers have one of the smartest front offices. They probably have more info on the situation than any other team. They don't generally have a super strict policy against players with baggage, considering Julio Urias served his time and came back. So they at least seem to regard Bauer as a lot worse. Are there reasons it would be worse for them to have him on the team than us?