Johnny Cueto ….Would you do 2 years for $11 million per ?

Roll Tide

2 years for $22 million ($11 million per)….Would you ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. 2 years for $22 million ($11 million per)….Would you ?

I am heading in the direction of a pitcher who makes perfect sense for the Orioles — aging right-hander Johnny Cueto. I say aging, but aging doesn’t mean incapable or in effective. Cueto, who will turn 37 years old on Feb. 15, was very effective on a consistent basis for the White Sox in 2022. The 5-foot-11, 229-pound right-hander tossed 158.1 innings and had a very solid 3.35 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP during the 2022 season. That rounded out to a 3.5 WAR, according to Baseball Reference.

Cueto was not even signed until April 5. Even without a spring training of any meaning and starting out at Triple-A Charlotte, he still managed to start 24 games.

If the Orioles want to make a move that makes too much sense, contact Cueto’s representatives and take him off the board at two years for $22 million

I think he’s a better gamble than Wacha.

https://pressboxonline.com/2022/12/28/stan-the-fan-charles-why-johnny-cueto-makes-perfect-sense-for-orioles/

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Hard pass if it requires 2 years.

Curious… would you have given 2 years to Verlander? I think he got 86 million in hopes of returning 12 -13 WAR. Cueto is younger and no reason to think he wouldn’t be healthy. 7-8 WAR for $22 million would be a steal

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Curious… would you have given 2 years to Verlander? I think he got 86 million in hopes of returning 12 -13 WAR. Cueto is younger and no reason to think he wouldn’t be healthy. 7-8 WAR for $22 million would be a steal

I would have given Verlander 3 years if that is what it took to sign him.

I still wouldn't give Cueto a second year and I'm not even sure I would give him the first one.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would rather have Bundy for one year. He’s only 30. He’s always better in the 1st half then the 2nd half. He tires out.  We really only need a SP to bridge us to Means. The LF wall helps his homer issues. Fly all pitcher so the shift ban shouldn’t affect him as much. 

All you folks talking about Means returning to old form and we need to save him a spot are funny. If we get Means back in any capacity this year, that’s great. Counting on him for anything, or penciling him in to a rotation is foolish. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would rather have Bundy for one year. He’s only 30. He’s always better in the 1st half then the 2nd half. He tires out.  We really only need a SP to bridge us to Means. The LF wall helps his homer issues. Fly all pitcher so the shift ban shouldn’t affect him as much. 

Past couple years it’s been right handers that Bundy has had issues with. Nothing a giant wall moved back can’t fix, right?

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I really think I would rather go with Voth or Wells and give them a chance to win the 5th spot then any of remaining free agent choices.  Wells has a higher floor imo but a lower ceiling then Voth from what I saw last year.  

We have many fifth spot possibles … Voth, Wells, Watkins, Baumann, etc etc  Pass on Cueto.