Not an April Fools Joke - Lewin Diaz Back, O'Hearn DFA

Yardball85

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

"Per the 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement, arbitration-eligible players who settle with their teams on a salary for the subsequent season without going to a hearing will be eligible to receive full season termination pay, even if they are released prior to the start of the season (this rule will go into effect after the 2022 season). Previously, the salary for such players only became guaranteed if the player was on the Major League roster or injured list when the regular season began. Arbitration players who were cut before then would be owed either 30 or 45 days' worth of termination pay, depending on the point in Spring Training the player was released."

So the way I read this, the Orioles are on the hood for all $1.4 million of O'Hearns salary which could very well mean i was wrong, the Orioles very well be paying a AAA 1B, $1.4 million this year.

Jim Carrey Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

I still think he will be the 26th man but yes they are on the hook for all of it. 

I didn’t get it when it first happened but I just think Mike saw an opportunity to add back Diaz and it cost him nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do they need one?

I mean having a good one is nice.

But I don't want a guy just because he's left handed.

Doesn’t it cost like $500k for a rule 5 draftee?  I didn’t see up in arms about Politi. 

700k to bring Diaz and O’Hearn to ST. Seems worth it to me. 

Elias may not have don’t the big FA signings, but we can’t hold the necessary little moves against him. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Roch did try to sell OHearn as the LH bat when he was traded. 

No...he didn't. He said many times in his articles that the team was looking at LH 1B/DH/OF hitters. I remember him saying the same things he said about O'Hearn when they acquired Diaz and Cordero. All he said was that O'Hearn fit the perameters. Not once did he say that any of these guys were even locks to make the team. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand the frustration with the offseason. Looking at this for what it is… we had no LH internal depth options for 1B. We just got two of those. We just improved the 40th/41st spots on the 40 man roster. All for 700k. 

If the Orioles had signed Bassitt I wonder what percentage of the criticism we presently see over this even occurs. 

I see a GM making moves on the margins  and it ticks people off.

I’m with you. I don’t get it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Doesn’t it cost like $500k for a rule 5 draftee?  I didn’t see up in arms about Politi. 

700k to bring Diaz and O’Hearn to ST. Seems worth it to me. 

Elias may not have don’t the big FA signings, but we can’t hold the necessary little moves against him. 

I don't generally like wasting energy on the rule V draft either.

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

As an actual ML player. Why is OHearn preferable at 1B to Westburg or Norby or Vavra?

He fits a specific role. He has nothing to do with those players. He isn’t some major piece. 

Why would they play Westburg at 1B? Or either of the others? Just to force their way onto the team? Those guys aren’t 1B. 

Is anyone worried they bench Mountcastle over him? 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do they need one?

I mean having a good one is nice.

But I don't want a guy just because he's left handed.

Let's remember, this is an organization that started Kelvin Gutierrez at 3B on opening day last year and had a bench of Odor (2b), Chris Owings (UTL), McKenna (OF) and Bemboom (C) on the opening day roster.

They gave Nevin (184) more PAs than McKenna, Vavra, Henderson and Stowers (yes I know most of those were when Urias went on the IL) and yes, decided when they needed help against left-handers, benched Stowers (who has torn up LHP in the minors despite being left-handed) for a washed up 32-year old who was just released by the Marlins because he couldn't hit right or left handers. 

But remember, Elias has a master plan that we can't understand and has information we don't, so we should always just defend his choices.

So no, being good is apparently not something a player needs to be to be signed and played by the Orioles.

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

No...he didn't. He said many times in his articles that the team was looking at LH 1B/DH/OF hitters. I remember him saying the same things he said about O'Hearn when they acquired Diaz and Cordero. All he said was that O'Hearn fit the perameters. Not once did he say that any of these guys were even locks to make the team. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Per the 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement, arbitration-eligible players who settle with their teams on a salary for the subsequent season without going to a hearing will be eligible to receive full season termination pay, even if they are released prior to the start of the season (this rule will go into effect after the 2022 season). Previously

Thank you, that’s directly on point.   So, the O’s are on the hook to O’Hearn for the $1.4 mm, unless some other team claims or trades for him now.  

Personally, I think that CBA change was an important one for the protection of the players.