International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

If they pull off one or more of these, it will slightly lessen the sting of a weak off-season, with the results TBD years from now.

It’s all too easy for us to remember when the team’s idea of “international signings” meant claiming Rio Ruiz off waivers in 2018, or getting Miguel Gonzalez from the Mexican league in 2011. 

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Having such a small frame, will he be any better than Pinto who has a similar height and caps out at 95? I guess roll that lottery ticket, nothing to lose.

Topping out at 16 is different than topping out at 18, 19, or 20.   Maybe.   As for his size, maybe he gets a couple inches taller over the next 2 years.   That's probably also normal for a 16-17 year old.

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Having such a small frame, will he be any better than Pinto who has a similar height and caps out at 95? I guess roll that lottery ticket, nothing to lose.

The kid is 16.   I’m 6’2 but I’m pretty sure I was under 6 feet at his age.  As to Pinto, I’m hopeful he can be a major league contributor, but we’ll see.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Any relation between Felix Amparo and last year’s signee Edwin Amparo?  It’s not that common a surname compared to certain others in Latin America.  

Amparo is an Iberian SurName (Spain & Portugal) that means refugee.  Most Amparo’s are found in the Philippines & Dominican Republic (where 1 in 4,000 have that surname). Edwin is from Sanchez, DR.  Once we get some more info on Felix will be interesting to see where he is from...Not sure if they are related but watching a couple YouTube videos Felix has some great footwork, hands, and a super quick release.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The kid is 16.   I’m 6’2 but I’m pretty sure I was under 6 feet at his age.  As to Pinto, I’m hopeful he can be a major league contributor, but we’ll see.

They can test for Bone Age and project how much more growth someone is likely to have.

Not saying the O's are doing that but it is a thing.

For the record I was 5'10" at 12 and topped out at 5'10 1/2".

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Like 1