Most overrated/underrated?

now

Obviously subjective, with so many variables: tool ratings, future projections, scouts vs. stats, multiple ranking lists, etc. 

We've already seen some differences of opinion on the BA list of prospects. What about for the system as a whole, current MLB roster included?

Just spitballing here (I'm a fan, not an expert pundit), but here are my picks (in no particular order): 

Most overrated (step down from the pedestal, sir):
Mountcastle, Stowers, Westburg, Hays, Mullins

Most underrated (don't sleep on these dark horses):
Vavra, Baker, Voth, Vespi, Norby

Who else?

• Upvote 1

My pick for most underrated is Kjerstad. I think he's going to be reminding us this season that he was a #2 pick. 

I would disagree that Hays is overrated - everyone is kind of down on him at the moment. And I actually think Mountcastle is slightly underrated when you take into account his peripherals last season. But I get what you mean. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to take it as I think it's viewed by the front office and/or management, i.e. who I think they overrate or underrate based on usage and the way they are handled.

Most overrated: Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Mateo, Hall, Frazier, Odor  😉  

Most underrated: Ortiz, Westburg, Stowers

Overrated.

1. Grayson Rodriguez -  I see a big guy who’s not that athletic and hasn’t shown me the elite breaking stuff.  Fastball/changeup #3 starter.

Underrated

1. Colton Cowser -  I don’t think anyone is down on him but I think he has the highest offensive upside of anyone in the system.  Easy power to all fields. Beautiful swing.   Great eye at the plate.   If the contact issues aren’t a thing, look out.

Overrated…DL Hall. Comes across as an overhyped Tanner Scott to me

Underrated…Heston Kjerstad. Maybe I put too much weight in overcoming adversity but myocarditis is a pretty intense diagnosis at such a young age. But add that to my belief that the dude can hit and that he could be in the middle of the order in a couple years. Though I think he may end up the 1B of the future, I think his bat could play there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

My pick for most underrated is Kjerstad. I think he's going to be reminding us this season that he was a #2 pick. 

I would disagree that Hays is overrated - everyone is kind of down on him at the moment. And I actually think Mountcastle is slightly underrated when you take into account his peripherals last season. But I get what you mean. 

I agree on Kjerstad 100%.  I know the kid that was drafted in back of him, and he spoke very highly of his character so I'm pulling for him.  I also think the MVP of the AZ fall league carries some weight.  We could argue whether he should have gone 2 or 10 but he's still elite.  

2 hours ago, now said:

Obviously subjective, with so many variables: tool ratings, future projections, scouts vs. stats, multiple ranking lists, etc. 

We've already seen some differences of opinion on the BA list of prospects. What about for the system as a whole, current MLB roster included?

Just spitballing here (I'm a fan, not an expert pundit), but here are my picks (in no particular order): 

Most overrated (step down from the pedestal, sir):
Mountcastle, Stowers, Westburg, Hays, Mullins

Most underrated (don't sleep on these dark horses):
Vavra, Baker, Voth, Vespi, Norby

Who else?

Fun thread.

Overrated: Bradish, Kremer

Underrated: Santander, Hays (sometimes), and Urias. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Overrated.

1. Grayson Rodriguez -  I see a big guy who’s not that athletic and hasn’t shown me the elite breaking stuff.  Fastball/changeup #3 starter.

Underrated

1. Colton Cowser -  I don’t think anyone is down on him but I think he has the highest offensive upside of anyone in the system.  Easy power to all fields. Beautiful swing.   Great eye at the plate.   If the contact issues aren’t a thing, look out.

I like both these picks. GRod has had a few bad outings (incl. in a playoff game?) that show he isn't superman, as we might hope from his billing as "best pitching prospect on the planet." (TINSTAAPP sez hi.) Plus, as an Oriole fan the default setting is "Cavalry-shy."

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Some interesting responses, this is really all about personal perspective. I’ll say:

Overrated: Mateo, Kremer, Hays

Underrated: Hall, Westburg, 

Yea I think saying Hall has become underrated is spot on.  Seems like so many are just dismissing him.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think saying Hall has become underrated is spot on.  Seems like so many are just dismissing him.

A 5.1 BB9 in 5 minor league seasons will do it. Do you think that number goes up or down when he makes it to the O’s for an extended time? 

16 minutes ago, oriole said:

A 5.1 BB9 in 5 minor league seasons will do it. Do you think that number goes up or down when he makes it to the O’s for an extended time? 

A hopeful comp would be Sandy Koufax... his BB9 (all totals in MLB play):

ages 19-24: 6.0, 4.4, 4.4, 6.0, 5.4, 5.1
ages 25-30: 3.4, 2.8, 1.7, 2.1, 1.9, 2.1

And to double the sample size, here's a bonus lefty:

ages 24-28: 5.7
ages 29-42: 2.7

I'm saying, there's a chance... ;)

Edited by now