The biggest development of 2023 will be…

Frobby

It's terrible to put this kind of pressure on him, but I really think this season hinges on Grayson Rodriguez's success. So in that sense, him emerging as the team's ace has to be the biggest development of the season. And this would be at the minor league level, but I think Kjerstad will be a a top 20 prospect (in all of baseball) going into the 2024 season so I guess that would be a pretty big development too. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Gunnar blows away all expectations he wins the MVP.

Some folks have very high expectations.

Good point. I'll also go with Mountcastle gets more selective as a hitter and has a breakout all star level season. I don't think he's going to develop Adley's plate discipline, but Mountcastle will learn to stop chasing bad pitches so often. 

I'm not sure it happens for Mountcastle, but it would be cool to see.

Not to take away from many others, but last year - Adley. We thought but there are never any guarentees. Then the rubber hit the road and WOW. What a difference maker. 

Biggest development this year? I'm trying to temper my expectations, but this year I'm hoping for consistent pitching. Give me five starters who can generally get through 5 innings and keep the team in the game - a relief corps as good or better than last year - plus an offense that does a much better job with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. That's my hope - that's my prediction - and I want to see as many contributers to the above as possible. For once, I feel that's not an unreasonable development to expect - so am excited to see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

I already expect Grayson to be a TOR SP.  No 'development' in how I'm interpreting it.  He just needs to be healthy and prove it at the MLB level.  Sure, prospects have missed that last step, but I'm not entertaining that thought!

Hall sticking as a TOR SP would be a big development for a real window beginning in 2024.

Povich adding something to his resume would be a development.  Kjerstad and Mayo taking AA by storm would be a development.  Jackson reaching AAA would be a development (AA is expected in my mind).  

A bigger appetite for trades at the top of the conveyor belt and from depth.

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest developments will be guys like Basallo and other prospects from the Dominican.  Bencosme, Tavera, etc.  A guy like Jud Fabian is up there, too.   

I'm confident that Rodriguez will be good at the ML in his first season.  Henderson is going to be good.  Holiday will do well.  I'm not too worried about those guys.

Let's put it this way, we're going to graduate Henderson, Rodriguez, probably one of Westburg or Diaz, Hall...and I still think we're going to head into 2024 with a top 5, top 10 system with more guys that are in the organizational 10-20 range now that'll move up.  Plus whatever draft picks we get.

Good time to be an Orioles fan, for sure.

• Upvote 2

We will be fortunate if GRod has a sub 4 ERA. I don’t see him as any more important than the rest of the starters.  If he is ever a true ace (and the odds are against that), it won’t likely be in 2023.

The biggest development to this year will be revolved around all the young players, not just one.

Everything about this team and the future success of this organization hinges on them. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, waroriole said:

DL Hall. He has the same ability to leap up the charts as Gunnar. The talent and arm is all there. It’s just a matter of refining his command. 

In 5+ years in the organization he hasn't shown consistent command at any level. It is probably an unrealistic expectation that he will do that this year.