Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

All three balls hit his way looked “too fast” for him, as in the game speeds up.  I usually hear that about the jump from AAA to the majors, but it does look like the game is just faster than he’s used to.

Of course it might also be pressure from the attention, or even the trouble he had getting a hotel room for whatever reason they gave (too young? didn’t arrive with the team? who knows)

But it looked like the game had sped up on him.  And that doesn't worry me at all. 

The first 15 minutes of the MLB Pipeline podcast this week is devoted to Jackson Holliday and his promotion.  A few tidbits:

1.  They peg the chances of a further promotion to the Orioles this year at 1%.

2.  They think there’s only a 15-20% chance he’s on the 2024 OD roster.

3.  If he does make it, they think it’ll be at 2B.

4.  They wonder if the O’s will send him to the AFL.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mlb-pipeline/id906717198?i=1000626864834

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

I tend to agree with their take generally but I think #2 is closer to 50%, and if he goes to the AFL and performs well, those odds only go up. 

Off-season moves that are made will also heavily influence the percentage variance of #2. 

I tend to agree with this.  I think Mateo will be traded and Urias will still be around. Ortiz and Holliday will compete for the last infield spot.  If Holliday gets it, he will play every day and they will aim for ROY.  If not, he is likely down until about the time Gunnar came up under the auspices of them working with him at tons of different positions. 

On 9/6/2023 at 6:27 PM, Frobby said:

4.  They wonder if the O’s will send him to the AFL.

I kinda hope they don't. The kid's already had the longest baseball season of his life, and next year is going to be as tough or tougher.  Let him decompress for a couple three months.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

OOOOOMG whyyyyyyy would we draft him #1 if he’s going to end up at 2nd base??????

It is what it is. Maybe he'll start showing some impressive skills at SS In Norfolk next year.  Ortiz or Henderson is kind of a high bar to clear defensively. 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

OOOOOMG whyyyyyyy would we draft him #1 if he’s going to end up at 2nd base??????

I know this is a little bit sarcastic, but if Holiday becomes a perennial all-star second baseman, is anyone going to be upset that we took him? 

Also, let's say he's behind Henderson and Ortiz defensively at SS right now, if he starts his career at 2B, it doesn't mean he can't still move to SS if there's a need.

I'm not saying he can't play SS in the major leagues, but I think his bat will be his main value during his career.

Saying all that, Anthony Volpe has shown that you can play SS effectively with a below average arm if you get rid of the ball quickly and have good range/hands. He's been rated as a plus defender by every metric besides double play runs saved. I think Holiday's arm is  better than Volpe.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.

If we’d known that Holliday was going to end up at 2B, we could have just taken a true 2B in Termarr Johnson. I read that that guy has a 70 hit tool. Pretty impressive. And just checking the stats, it looks like he made it all the way to HIGH A this season at the young age of 19 — with an OPS in the mid-.800s at each stop. Precocious. Extraordinary.

This Holliday would have to be something pretty special to be the better choice over that guy in a Battle of the 2Bs. Seems like Elias (unlike Termarr Johnson) sometimes swings and misses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agreed.

If we’d known that Holliday was going to end up at 2B, we could have just taken a true 2B in Termarr Johnson. I read that that guy has a 70 hit tool. Pretty impressive. And just checking the stats, it looks like he made it all the way to HIGH A this season at the young age of 19 — with an OPS in the mid-.800s at each stop. Precocious. Extraordinary.

This Holliday would have to be something pretty special to be the better choice over that guy in a Battle of the 2Bs. Seems like Elias (unlike Termarr Johnson) sometimes swings and misses. 

What am I missing?  That's not quite the same as Jackson being in AAA now.  Plus Jackson has the possibility of playing SS or (at worst) a plus 2B.