2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, Frobby said:

He’s hitting .667 since Jujy 25. 😇

Look, if Hicks when we signed him had played like Cowser did the first two weeks he was on the team, he would have been released.  But he didn’t.   He played well when we absolutely needed him to, and that’s going to earn him some rope.  

Convrrsely, if Cowser had played like Hicks did in his first few weeks with the Orioles, he never would have been sent back down.  But he didn’t.  He didn’t take advantage of his opportunity the way Hicks did.   And that why Hicks is getting the opportunity now.  

I'd go so far as to argue if Cowser played as well as Westburg is now, ~.700 OPS he would never have been sent back down.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s hitting .667 since Jujy 25. 😇

Look, if Hicks when we signed him had played like Cowser did the first two weeks he was on the team, he would have been released.  But he didn’t.   He played well when we absolutely needed him to, and that’s going to earn him some rope.  

Convrrsely, if Cowser had played like Hicks did in his first few weeks with the Orioles, he never would have been sent back down.  But he didn’t.  He didn’t take advantage of his opportunity the way Hicks did.   And that why Hicks is getting the opportunity now.  

2 weeks should not a season make. Judging someone off a few good weeks is a really dumb way to do things especially when that player’s defense hasn’t been that good and they haven’t been that good for most of the last several years.

I actually don’t mind him in a limited role but I also don’t see the need for the  multiple pinch hitter late in the game role guys. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2 weeks should not a season make. Judging someone off a few good weeks is a really dumb way to do things especially when that player’s defense hasn’t been that good and they haven’t been that good for most of the last several years.

I actually don’t mind him in a limited role but I also don’t see the need for the  multiple pinch hitter late in the game role guys. 

Truth is, they don’t need a 14th position player.   But MLB gave them one, so they’ll take it.  

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which Hicks hasn’t done.  He has a .795 OPS in an Oriole uniform and has been worth 0.6 rWAR in 43 games.   I can’t imagine why Hyde would prefer him to Cowser, who has a .433 OPS and has been worth -0.8 rWAR in 26 games.  

You're right.

I tend to think had Cowser been called up instead of signing Hicks, maybe Cowser would be over those initial growing pains and making a real contribution now. I would have preferred that because Hicks had a 2-3 year stretch where he wasn't good. I'm surprised he's been a good as he has. I thought he was going to be another Phillips/Aguilar.

At the end of the day, I don't think Hicks or Cowser getting more ABs is going to make much difference in where the team ends up even though I think if Cowser gets ABs and can get over the growing pains, he'll make a bigger contribution in the playoffs. He potential is higher than Hicks.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Adley is going to get a rest then why not against an opposing starter with a 6.43 ERA. Orioles should be able to win a game against the Angels without their A+ lineup. 

The guy has pitched like 7 innings.  I wouldn’t get too worked up about his ERA.

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Well, he had a 4.95 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP over 20 AAA starts this season.

The average ERA in the PCL is 5.75.   The average WHIP is 1.625.   To say it’s an extreme hitter’s league is an understatement.   

Look, I’m not building up this guy to be Clayton Kershaw.   But it wouldn’t be that shocking if he gave them a decent outing.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The average ERA in the PCL is 5.75.   The average WHIP is 1.625.   To say it’s an extreme hitter’s league is an understatement.   

Look, I’m not building up this guy to be Clayton Kershaw.   But it wouldn’t be that shocking if he gave them a decent outing.   

And we seem to have a tendency to make not-Kershaw pitchers look like Kershaw. I was thinking this specifically when Ty Blach did a Clayton imitation against us.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that it would be shocking if Rosenberg turned in a decent outing.  In fact, he profiles as the type of pitcher that has given the O’s trouble.  But he is a 28 year old career minor leaguer who has had limited success this season.  A minor league journeyman without overpowering stuff.  From what I can tell he has a nice change-up which he will throw almost as much as his fastball.   With all of that said, it would not be shocking if the O’s knock him around a bit.