Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

Its should be Grayson time in 5 days.  

He has had 5 starts at Norfolk in June.    He has pitched 6 innings in 4 of 5 games.  He has pitched at least 90 pitches in each game.  4-0,  2.22 ERA,  28.1 IP,  39 K,   1.06 WHIP

Time for a promotion.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its should be Grayson time in 5 days.  

He has had 5 starts at Norfolk in June.    He has pitched 6 innings in 4 of 5 games.  He has pitched at least 90 pitches in each game.  4-0,  2.22 ERA,  28.1 IP,  39 K,   1.06 WHIP

Time for a promotion.

The command has still been off by a lot of reports. You certainly can bring him up now and hope he figures it out up here but it’s also easier to manage his innings in the minors right now and with the AS break coming up, him being up after that makes some sense to keep the IP down and have him for the second half.

I haven’t watched him pitch since he has been down in Norfolk, so I will have to rely on those who have. But what I do know is that if the command issues that caused him to be send down haven’t been addressed, him coming back up will be pointless. 

Of course we know he can dominate AAA hitters because he has all the talent in the world. But middle middle fastballs and cutters at this level don’t miss bats, they go a long way as he saw. 

I’m hopeful that he can get the ship righted but what I saw from him during his time here said he still has a lot of work to do. There were WAY TO MANY non-competitive pitches (way out of the zone) COMBINED with pitches that were perfectly center cut for hitters. Very bad mix.

Agree with all points on here, but I just don’t think he will truly learn/adjust until he is up here getting major league hitter feedback. He needs to miss and get the immediate result of missing to a major leaguer. I know that’s not necessarily what we want in our rotation as we are contending, but it’s not like we have a better option to go to at this point.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The command has still been off by a lot of reports. You certainly can bring him up now and hope he figures it out up here but it’s also easier to manage his innings in the minors right now and with the AS break coming up, him being up after that makes some sense to keep the IP down and have him for the second half.

Leaving him at Norfolk to throw 6 innings every 5 or 6 days in not minimizing his innings pitched.   They count no matter where he pitches.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Leaving him at Norfolk to throw 6 innings every 5 or 6 days in not minimizing his innings pitched.   They count no matter where he pitches.

But he’s only pitching once a week down there. Up here, he will pitch more often than that.

33 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Agree with all points on here, but I just don’t think he will truly learn/adjust until he is up here getting major league hitter feedback. He needs to miss and get the immediate result of missing to a major leaguer. I know that’s not necessarily what we want in our rotation as we are contending, but it’s not like we have a better option to go to at this point.

You don’t think he learned the first time he torpedoed here? You think he learned some painful lessons watching the rockets leave hitters bats after he throw a crappy center cut pitch? 

I hope that he learned about what he can’t get away with here as opposed to AAA. If he did not take those lessons with him the first go round, we have some larger issues/concerns.

55 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I don't think it has anything to do with feedback, it has to do with his ability to command his stuff. His command doesn't have to be sharp for AAA hitters. I haven't wtched his last two starts so I I'll need to look at the statcast numbers to see if it has improved, but putting up good numbers against AAA hitters is good, it doesn't necessarily mean he will have success up here. 

Saying that, at some point he's going to be needed so hopefully he can find it more often than not. Hopefully he's also working on controlling his emotions on the mound and limit those meltdown innings.