Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I do like that outfield. Pushes Santander to the bench when Adley is DH, but right now Santander isn't providing much. Question is does he merit a long leash. He was second on the team last year in OPS and led the team in HR. We thought Santander DH would be the approach this year with Stowers starting in RF. Maybe they are just waiting to pull the trigger on Cowser. 

I think he’s a little banged up.  Doesn’t look like he’s moving too well.  And seems like he is laboring when he swings.  Maybe an IL stint would do him some good. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think he’s a little banged up.  Doesn’t look like he’s moving too well.  And seems like he is laboring when he swings.  Maybe an IL stint would do him some good. 

Absolutely, if anyone is banged up we should be playing healthy guys, we have the depth to do so. Santander missed a couple games earlier due to some kind of vague back issue. If Santander or Hays is at all banged up, I agree they should go on IL. We have plenty of depth with guys ready to step in. Stowers may be the logical choice if we don't want to make any 40 man moves.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Absolutely, if anyone is banged up we should be playing healthy guys, we have the depth to do so. Santander missed a couple games earlier due to some kind of vague back issue. If Santander or Hays is at all banged up, I agree they should go on IL. We have plenty of depth with guys ready to step in. Stowers may be the logical choice if we don't want to make any 40 man moves.

Stowers isnt crushing the ball right now, but it would be nice to see him get his shot especially if both Hays & Tony are not 100%.  

• 2 weeks later...

Roch this AM in his column described Hays' finger injury as 'grotesque'.  Apparently not just a bruise/contusion, but a nasty cut also.  I really don't get the resistance to IL a player in a situation like that; its only 10-day IL right?  He'll wind up sitting a few days anyway, why not IL him, not play short, and let him fully heal, rather than playing through it?

It would be one thing if we didn't have players in AAA who are pushing for a call up anyway.  Seems like a great chance to get one of Westburg or Cowers (I'd guess Westburg) for a look.

This seems to be a trend w/ the Os, resisting the IL in such cases.  I'm not sure if other teams do the same.  But I don't get it, in such a long season, 10 days isn't really much.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:04 AM, Fiver6565 said:

Roch this AM in his column described Hays' finger injury as 'grotesque'.  Apparently not just a bruise/contusion, but a nasty cut also.  I really don't get the resistance to IL a player in a situation like that; its only 10-day IL right?  He'll wind up sitting a few days anyway, why not IL him, not play short, and let him fully heal, rather than playing through it?

It would be one thing if we didn't have players in AAA who are pushing for a call up anyway.  Seems like a great chance to get one of Westburg or Cowers (I'd guess Westburg) for a look.

This seems to be a trend w/ the Os, resisting the IL in such cases.  I'm not sure if other teams do the same.  But I don't get it, in such a long season, 10 days isn't really much.

Because that would put pressure on Elias to call up Cowser.

Like Westburg, he wants them to keep raking in AAA to increase their trade value without the risk of exposing them to major league pitching.

6 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Like Westburg, he wants them to keep raking in AAA to increase their trade value without the risk of exposing them to major league pitching.

This is an interesting theory I have seen thrown around a bit around here. I don’t disagree with it but also can’t really find anything to support it. 

Do you think this makes Ortiz the orgs favorite of the AAA top 100 guys since they brought him up for a few games?

On 5/10/2023 at 10:28 PM, yark14 said:

Elias might trade one of Cowser or Westburg. He's not trading them both unless an opportunity arises for a bona fide ace with multiple years of control remaining. He hasn't called them up because he is reluctant to mess with what is currently a very successful big league roster. 

I liked the fact that he hit a homer to RF last night and hit one to the RF wall the night before.  That usually tells me that a hot streak is coming.  As SG said, Hays has been very steady so far this year, but like any player, some stretches are hotter than others.  His May OPS is .691, mainly because he hadn’t homered this month, until yesterday.  But I feel it’s going to spike up over the next week or two.