Westburg is near ready

wildcard

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Planting your flag on the "I still expect him to be a significant upgrade over Odor" hill is probably one of the safer hills to plant said flag! :D

My counter argument is I would be happy to plant my flag on the "All of the four 40-man roster options available this offseason for major league minimum or slightly more would be a significant upgrade over Odor" hill. ;)

According to this, the "all in" San Diego Padres look like they're going to put Odor on their roster, weirdly enough.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/padres-rougned-odor-appears-set-for-roster-spot/

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

According to this, the "all in" San Diego Padres look like they're going to put Odor on their roster, weirdly enough.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/padres-rougned-odor-appears-set-for-roster-spot/

Eighty at bats of Odor are more palatable than 426.

I haven't look at their farm in a hot minute but I'm guessing the are probably a bit thin in the upper minors right now.

22 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Odor is a quality veteran presence. If he going to bat 100 times a year and play a little defense late when you already have a stacked team, why not. Much different then running him out as your everyday 2nd baseman.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Odor is a quality veteran presence. If he going to bat 100 times a year and play a little defense late when you already have a stacked team, why not. Much different then running him out as your everyday 2nd baseman.

Veteran presence!  I love veteran presence :)

I agree, this is a good role for him.  And I think he's a good dude.  His teammates last year seemed to love him for whatever that's worth (not much, I know).

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Veteran presence!  I love veteran presence :)

I agree, this is a good role for him.  And I think he's a good dude.  His teammates last year seemed to love him for whatever that's worth (not much, I know).

AS much as I disliked having him starting everyday last year and think he was a misjudgment by Elias and company, I will never disparage him as a teammate. He's certainly a 1st class teammate guy and there is some value in that in the right situation.

• Upvote 2

If I was running this team like a video game, I would have put a package together to trade for an Ace like Burns or Fried which included moving some Infielders to make room to provide an opportunity for Westburg and Ortiz to show what they can do in the Majors. I really think Westburg doesn't have anything left to prove in the minors. I think he will be a great Major League player and deserves his opportunity. But I'm just a fan, so what do I know?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not that it probably counted for much, but Rougy had a nice spring, .316/.422/.474.   

One thing I think the Orioles will miss with Rougy, is his timely clutch home runs. A 2nd thing they will miss is his double play arm.  Yes, Rougy barely batted .200, but when he hit his 15 homeruns and turned 2, it really mattered and impacted the game in favor of the Orioles.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Well @eddie83seemed to be appalled by the preconceived notions against Frazier.

Excuse me, he was floored.  

People worried about his spring stats. Talking about his personality. 

I’m not telling anyone to support the move but don’t bury the dude because you wanted someone else. Give him a chance. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was not pro-Frazier, but probably less anti-Frazier than a lot of folks.  No, I would not be upset if Westburg was our starting 2B right now.   In fact, I’d be excited to see it.  Frazier doesn’t excite me but I still expect him to be a significant upgrade over Odor.  

Thing is with Urias and Mateo here is Westburg the starting second baseman anyway? 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It seems like Westburg would be a better fit on the roster over carrying both Stowers and Vavra.  It would've been nice if he got some time in LF during ST.  

Frazier can play LF, make him the utility guy and option one of Stowers or Vavra and put Westburg fulltime at 2B. I know they're giving Frazier a big ol' check, but he can move around and earn it. 

(Also, I know this isn't what is going to happen, but it's how I would try and orchestrate it)

• Upvote 1