Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I don’t think we are getting better defense at SS/3B than we got last year.  If anything, it hasn’t been as good as last year.  What I can’t say is whether the increase in DP’s is just a matter of more good opportunities arising.  For example, Gibson has induced a ton of DPs.  10 of the team’s 28 DP’s have come with him on the mound. 

The shift being banned might also play a factor.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has a stat called DPR that measures runs gained/lost through proficiency at turning double plays.  Frazier is at 0.0, so exactly average per this stat.  Here are my own opinions:

1.  Frazier is excellent at starting double plays.  He’s quick, his throws are accurate, and he makes the backhand flip with aplomb when that’s required. 

2.  When Frazier is the pivot man, he gets his throws off quickly but his arm is a bit below average.  

Put the two together, and the DPR stat matched my eye test.  

By the way, O’s second basemen have been involved in 25 double plays, most in the league and about 50% more than the average team.  

This is probably fair.  It is definitely on the pivot that I have noticed an issue.  I would describe the throws as more than slightly below average.  Perhaps this is just because we spent a year watching Odor at the pivot.

8 hours ago, forphase1 said:

So did Odor.  Didn't justify or mean we should have played him every day. 

You're comparing apples and oranges. Odor makes mental errors and strikes out a rally-killing FOUR times more often than he walks. Frazier has been an island of defensive stability in a surprisingly erratic IF and has actually walked more than he's K'd. His current .713 OPS is consistently about a significant .080 or more higher than Odor's throughout last year. Frazier runs the bases intelligently and has even stolen 6 bases (Odor's total for all of 2022).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Odor makes mental errors and strikes out a rally-killing FOUR times more often than he walks. Frazier has been an island of defensive stability in a surprisingly erratic IF and has actually walked more than he's K'd. His current .713 OPS is consistently about a significant .080 or more higher than Odor's throughout last year. Frazier runs the bases intelligently and has even stolen 6 bases (Odor's total for all of 2022).

Sure,  Frazier is a huge upgrade over Odor, no doubt.  But I still think it apples to apples as we have young guys who could have filled those roles better than trotting either veteran out there game after game.   Just because Odor was much worse,  that doesn't negate the fact that the Frazier signing was not needed as we have plenty of viable options in the minors who would very likely be putting up even better members than Frazier currently is, both on offense and defense.   

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Sure,  Frazier is a huge upgrade over Odor, no doubt.  But I still think it apples to apples as we have young guys who could have filled those roles better than trotting either veteran out there game after game.   Just because Odor was much worse,  that doesn't negate the fact that the Frazier signing was not needed as we have plenty of viable options in the minors who would very likely be putting up even better members than Frazier currently is, both on offense and defense.   

I understand your point, but going on how Henderson and Vavra have performed this year--and Mateo's defense this season as well--I wd say it's far from a good bet that any of the minor league infielders wd have done as well as Frazier or, let us not forget, the other hurdle of Ramón Urias. In fact, if forced to make a wager, I would bet against it.

Talk about head-scratchers: rWAR currently has Frazier at 1.0 rWAR, third best on the team.  That’s a 5 rWAR pace.   fWAR has him at 0.4, a 2 fWAR pace, which feels a lot closer to reality.  Still, a 2 WAR season would be solid.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Talk about head-scratchers: rWAR currently has Frazier at 1.0 rWAR, third best on the team.  That’s a 5 rWAR pace.   fWAR has him at 0.4, a 2 fWAR pace, which feels a lot closer to reality.  Still, a 2 WAR season would be solid.  

Frazier's also on pace for 15 HR's, which would be a nice total from him. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have said it a ton of times..a 2 WAR season from him wouldn’t be a surprise.  As long as his defense is good enough, that’s within reach.

Edited by Sports Guy

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been kind of surprised at how every so often Frazier will turn on a pitch and yank  it out of the yard.  Mostly, he’s a slappy hitter, but once in a while he ambushes one. 

He’s still a pro player. All of them can run into one from time to time.