Opening Day Impressions

Moose Milligan

While I don’t think Santander is a great or even good outfielder, I think some of this is a little much. The Hays/Santander switch implies that LF at Fenway is easy to play, which I don’t agree with. It certainly has less ground to cover for sure, but it’s a gimmicky spot that is a little tricky. Plus it was 36 and windy. Now with that I will say 2 things: 

1. Would have rather seen Stowers get the start.

2. Definitely would have liked McKenna to be out there in the 8th.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

While I don’t think Santander is a great or even good outfielder, I think some of this is a little much. The Hays/Santander switch implies that LF at Fenway is easy to play, which I don’t agree with. It certainly has less ground to cover for sure, but it’s a gimmicky spot that is a little tricky. Plus it was 36 and windy. Now with that I will say 2 things: 

1. Would have rather seen Stowers get the start.

2. Definitely would have liked McKenna to be out there in the 8th.

Yeah I said the same about McKenna when Santander misplayed that one in the 8th. 

I was very surprised to see so many defensive issues, especially considering the players who were involved. If Mullins is going to start misplaying balls AND not hit lefties, he really should start getting less playing time. I hope they experiment with a McKenna platoon earlier in the season than later. Obviously not right away. But yesterday was not a good game for Mullins despite the walks and the steals. Not saying he is without his strengths of course, the writing just seems to be on the wall after his lefty struggles resurfaced last year. Mullins is one of my favorite players too, so I say this despite my bias. 

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

I was very surprised to see so many defensive issues, especially considering the players who were involved. If Mullins is going to start misplaying balls AND not hit lefties, he really should start getting less playing time. I hope they experiment with a McKenna platoon earlier in the season than later. Obviously not right away. But yesterday was not a good game for Mullins despite the walks and the steals. Not saying he is without his strengths of course, the writing just seems to be on the wall after his lefty struggles resurfaced last year. Mullins is one of my favorite players too, so I say this despite my bias. 

No need to worry about Mullins. That was a flukey play. McKenna is a staple of our one hit lineups. The bullpen is the biggest concern. Will Voth get a shot in MR/SU?

The worst opening day performance in modern O's history is probably Jonathan Schoop's 2018. He went 0-for-5, 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position.  And in a tie game he came up in the bottom of the 10th with the bases loaded, one out and the winning run 90 feet away and grounded into a double play.

That or maybe Milt Pappas' start in '61 where he went just 1.2 innings, allowing three hits, four walks and six runs in the expansion LA Angels' first game.

Palmer, McNally, and Sutcliffe threw opening-day shutouts. In '77 Palmer took the loss in an opening game where he went all 10 innings.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know how to calculate WAR but I think Adley deserves at least .5 WAR alone for today.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well he did make the 2 outs on the bases. 

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fine, .3 WAR.

Fangraphs has Adley at 0.4 fWAR today. Bb-ref hasn’t posted anything yet.  

• Upvote 1