Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

21 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Until/if he moves off 3B, I’m sticking with Austin Riley as the comp, but with a much better arm. There was a strong sentiment that Riley would have to move off third too through his rookie year and into his 2nd season. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/austin-riley-663586?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

The O's have better reasons to move him than the Braves did with Riley.

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mayo now has 30 home runs and over 100 RBI's after tonight's game. I don't if that will get recorded to his regular season stat line, but he is going to be a monster.

And Mayo is five years younger than the average AAA player.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mayo--000cob

image.thumb.png.f93a3d4067096a2ab1ffedbc5529ba42.png

Five years younger than the average AAA player, but more like 2-3 years younger than the average AAA prospect.  

17 hours ago, deward said:

The O's have better reasons to move him than the Braves did with Riley.

Do they?  In 2019, Riley’s rookie year, they had Josh Donaldson at his peak manning 3rd base.  Matter of fact, they stuck Riley out in LF just to get his bat in the lineup. 

Then in 2020, Donaldson left, and Riley moved back to 3rd and his defense was atrocious.  He heard the whispers, worked hard and has been vastly improved since.  Certainly not a GG’er, but definitely more than serviceable. 

It is my opinion Mayo is hearing these same whispers (similar to those that said Gunnar is going to move off SS…and look at what he’s done) and has been working his tail off so he can stick at 3rd a la Riley. 

Anyway, Riley is an outstanding comp for Mayo. 

Edited by scarey1999

9 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Do they?  In 2019, Riley’s rookie year, they had Josh Donaldson at his peak manning 3rd base.  Matter of fact, they stuck Riley out in LF just to get his bat in the lineup. 

Then in 2020, Donaldson left, and Riley moved back to 3rd and his defense was atrocious.  He heard the whispers, worked hard and has been vastly improved since.  Certainly not a GG’er, but definitely more than serviceable. 

It is my opinion Mayo is hearing these same whispers (similar to those that said Gunnar is going to move off SS…and look at what he’s done) and has been working his tail off so he can stick at 3rd a la Riley. 

Anyway, Riley is an outstanding comp for Mayo. 

Unless they decide to move Holliday off of short, then there's no opening at 3b. The only way Mayo gets a shot at 3b is if Gunnar stays at short, Holliday shifts to 2b, and Westburg loses his job. Possible, but I think it's a lot more likely that Mayo ends up usurping Mountcastle. 

3 hours ago, deward said:

Unless they decide to move Holliday off of short, then there's no opening at 3b. The only way Mayo gets a shot at 3b is if Gunnar stays at short, Holliday shifts to 2b, and Westburg loses his job. Possible, but I think it's a lot more likely that Mayo ends up usurping Mountcastle. 

I thought that was Basallo's position?  I'm looking forward to 5 years of Holliday, Henderson, Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo, Rutschman as the first 6 in the order.   That would be fun.