Austin Voth 2023

HakunaSakata

After watching Voth today, it reinforced my suspicions. Yes he needs a clean inning. But he also needs a clean game. He seems like the type of pitcher who will make some mistake pitches his 1st inning but then settle down in the following innings.

He's not a bullpen guy. And he shouldn't be used as a bullpen guy. I'm convinced of that now more than ever. He's a guy who needs some length to get settled in. And you'll never be able to go to him with runners already on the bases. He needs a cushion to get settled in.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've always been a proponent of keeping a poorly producing pitcher because he gets poor results with his left hand instead of his right.

I’ve never understood the lefty fetish.  But hopefully Irvin will settle down. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

After watching Voth today, it reinforced my suspicions. Yes he needs a clean inning. But he also needs a clean game. He seems like the type of pitcher who will make some mistake pitches his 1st inning but then settle down in the following innings.

He's not a bullpen guy. And he shouldn't be used as a bullpen guy. I'm convinced of that now more than ever. He's a guy who needs some length to get settled in. And you'll never be able to go to him with runners already on the bases. He needs a cushion to get settled in.

So in that case Voth still needs to be DFA'd, because once Bradish comes back, there's no room for Voth in the rotation. As I mentioned before (I believe it was in this thread), Voth - even when he was pitching well as a starter - couldn't last much past 5 innings. So having him in the rotation is too much of a liability because it taxes an already-thin bullpen. We can't afford Voth and his batting practice pitches in the bullpen while we're down Givens and Tate.

I think Irvin will eventually get another shot in the rotation. The downside of continuing to carry Voth just isn't worth it. We need better arms in the bullpen, and he'll only be one of the 5 best options for the rotation if 2 injuries occur (not counting Bradish and his current IL stint).

There's such a marginal difference between Voth and Spencer Watkins as starters, it's just not worth keeping Voth unless Elias and Sig REALLY believe in his spin rate analytics. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Yep, I saw thought. I have a feeling he'll be back up for his next start (for better or worse). 

I really think it comes down to how well he pitches, the performances of Kremer and Rodriguez, and injuries. If no one gets hurt and Irvin gets bombed in AAA, I doubt he comes back up for his next start. In the event of no injuries and a bad start at AAA for Irvin, I think it would take a meltdown by Kremer or GRod in their respective next starts for Irvin to come back up as soon as he's eligible.

23 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Yep, I saw thought. I have a feeling he'll be back up for his next start (for better or worse). 

He has to stay down for ten days unless someone gets hurt.  Plus, we have two off days next week so we don’t need five starters.  His next start will be in Norfolk.  We’ll see what happens after that.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It is time to put Voth back in the rotation when Givens and/or Tate return.

He was been very good, except for the time Hyde ridiculously decided to put him in for the 9th at the last minute.

Grayson has not been good.

I don't know about putting him back in the rotation but he's come around quite nicely.  I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it but if Grayson has a few more bad outings and if Voth keeps pitching well, I think the case could be made.

14 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I think Irwin goes to the rotation before Voth.

Possibly. That would make the numbers game/roster management much more difficult though.

Adding Voth to the rotation would make thing pretty simple when Givens and Tate return.

Option Rodriguez and Gillaspie

Recall Tate and Givens

16 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I think Irwin goes to the rotation before Voth.

All of the Norfolk lefties have earned some consideration as of late. Drew Rom earned himself a promotion but he never got to pitch. I think it would be better to have a LHP as a starter anyway than convert another starter to the bullpen. DL Hall had a nice start last week himself, and the franchise has a lot of hope for him.