Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

We'll never get to know, but I'd hazard a guess that if he hadn't seen Fernando Tatis do it with Juan Soto up he wouldn't have been as apt to try.     Its great to be young and a Baltimore Oriole, and hopefully also play almost every day for a large number of years.

Had Mountcastle been available, might have been interesting to see if Hyde would have pinch hit for O'Hearn against the lefty 2 out, man on 3rd.    If we get TBR, Poche and Diekman are coming for the Gunnar --> O'Hearn section.

Wednesday Mountcastle expectations were voiced and it is a Patrick Corbin night, so we'll see some loud actions this evening.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Worst part was the headfirst dive. Very lucky to avoid serious injury to the hands or head on that one. They should ban those at the plate to take away any incentive for players to try that. 

So you'd rather have them slide feet first, swapping the danger of avoiding serious injury to the hands or head for a serious leg injury?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you'd rather have them slide feet first, swapping the danger of avoiding serious injury to the hands or head for a serious leg injury?

I've always understood that sliding is safer than diving. Is that off base? And yeah, I'd much rather have a leg injury than a head injury. Not sure about leg vs hand. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We'll never get to know, but I'd hazard a guess that if he hadn't seen Fernando Tatis do it with Juan Soto up he wouldn't have been as apt to try.     Its great to be young and a Baltimore Oriole, and hopefully also play almost every day for a large number of years.

Had Mountcastle been available, might have been interesting to see if Hyde would have pinch hit for O'Hearn against the lefty 2 out, man on 3rd.    If we get TBR, Poche and Diekman are coming for the Gunnar --> O'Hearn section.

Wednesday Mountcastle expectations were voiced and it is a Patrick Corbin night, so we'll see some loud actions this evening.

FWIW - Mayo played 1B last night in the AAA championship game.  Is that plan B for Mountcastle missing a playoff series?  Sure, it'd take some roster management and an injury...

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Gunnar does not seem to be a "If x did it so will I" type but I don't know.  I loved it and if the throw wasn't perfect he probably be safe.  A bad injury would be tragic but it wasn't like he didn't think it was a smart move.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why would MLB players prefer diving headfirst if they knew it wasn't as safe?

Football players do lots of things that they know aren't safe and will continue to do so until rules are put in place and enforced to stop them. Money, helping the team, and getting on ESPN are factors. MLB players are no different IMO. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/sports/baseball/headfirst-slides-increase-risk-of-injury.html

Video analysis of half of the games played in the major leagues in 2015, prorated for the entire season, estimated the rate of injury to be one for every 249 headfirst slides, compared with one for every 413 feet-first slides.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Me too.  But it stirs the imagination to wonder why he'd be at 1B in a championship game instead of 3B (or even DH).  Lester was at 3B and Diaz was DH.

That is interesting, because unless I'm wrong, I thought Diaz was considered an excellent defensive 1B..... If we can clinch soonest, maybe Coby gets a couple games at the end of the season. It's fun to be talking about this stuff, imagination stirring, indeed.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Football players do lots of things that they know aren't safe and will continue to do so until rules are put in place and enforced to stop them. Money, helping the team, and getting on ESPN are factors. MLB players are no different IMO. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/sports/baseball/headfirst-slides-increase-risk-of-injury.html

Video analysis of half of the games played in the major leagues in 2015, prorated for the entire season, estimated the rate of injury to be one for every 249 headfirst slides, compared with one for every 413 feet-first slides.

Well, we weren't talking about football but ok.