Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That wasn't my question.  I don't deny that it isn't dangerous.

My question still stands.  Why would they continue to do it if it's more dangerous?

Probably similar to why people drink & drive / text & drive etc, despite common knowledge of the risks. Or why something like 90% of entrepreneurs believe their venture will succeed even though really a small fraction of them do.

Even when people know the stats, they don't think the bad outcome is going to happen to them. 

There's a positive to head first sliding otherwise teams wouldn't let their players do it.

Injuries are going to happen. No sense worrying out them. Gunnar is a gamer. I love the play.

I'm sure this is something he discussed with the staff. Someone saw something that made this a decent idea to try.

I was surprised, also surprised because of the batter's handedness. Stealing home happens so infrequently, I just assumed you'd do it when the batter can block the view of the catcher somewhat, or the extra step to clear the way would be one too many things to do in 3 seconds. 

He was awfully close. 

When this sort of thing happens, despite not being safe, I hope it means the other team will spend a bit more energy on caring about that - which hopefully leads to mental mistakes to the batter. Hard to quantify this, but I have no doubt baserunners who are threats create games within the game.

Perfectly executed by the Nats. Hats off to them.

Edited by AdamK

2 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

It appeared that Gunnar would have been safe but for the heads-up play by the Nat’s pitcher, Robert Garcia, as it looked like he quick-pitched after Gunnar broke for home.  The other thing to remember is that the O’s still need to close out the division and that run would have been helpful. 

Gunnar would have been safe but the pitcher accidentally threw a cutter to the catcher that tailed right into Gunnar.  If he puts the ball anywhere else he's safe.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's because it's easier to reach for a base/home plate with your hands than it is with your feet.  Much more easier to try and touch a corner of a bag or home plate with your fingers than a foot.  And easier to stay glued to the bag, too.

That's why they do it, despite the increased health risks.

They do it because you get there faster with a head first slide but it definitely is easier to reach for the plate/base also.   This guy thinks so to.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna26975693#

• Thanks 1