Cade Povich 2023

Getz

Povich pitched this afternoon and was pulled after 2.2 innings and 61 pitches, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K’s.  All 3 runs scored in the 3rd inning and he threw a lot of pitches that inning, so I guess that’s why he was pulled so quickly.   Anyway, consistent with his pattern of never throwing 2 good games in a row.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Povich pitched this afternoon and was pulled after 2.2 innings and 61 pitches, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K’s.  All 3 runs scored in the 3rd inning and he threw a lot of pitches that inning, so I guess that’s why he was pulled so quickly.   Anyway, consistent with his pattern of never throwing 2 good games in a row.  

And you complain that he lacks consistency.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Dean Kremer lead the minors in strikeouts once.

Not saying it's a bad thing that Povich is up there, just that it doesn't mean he's going to be a great MLB starter.

Agreed that it’s only one indicator among many.  And preventing runs while eating innings is the priority.  
But the K strength is stronger with Povich.  In 2018 the vast majority of Dean’s K’s were in A+ ball.  79 IP with 114 Ks (52.1 IP with 64 Ks in AA).  Povich has 99 Ks in 66.1 IP in AA.

Povich and McDermott have tidy multiples of 5 on all of the K and BB percentages right now - Povich 35 and 10, McDermott 30 and 15.    xFIP thinks Povich is best in the Eastern League.     The K rates are 1-2 in the league.

The bad ERA is a black mark, but I could see Povich tagging along with Mayo.    If a Norfolk performance to Labor Day is good enough, then...

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Povich and McDermott have tidy multiples of 5 on all of the K and BB percentages right now - Povich 35 and 10, McDermott 30 and 15.    xFIP thinks Povich is best in the Eastern League.     The K rates are 1-2 in the league.

The bad ERA is a black mark, but I could see Povich tagging along with Mayo.    If a Norfolk performance to Labor Day is good enough, then...

I wish they were a bit further along - Povich would be a nice potential bullpen piece for the stretch run.

2 hours ago, deward said:

Povich now has a 5.42 ERA in 94.2 AA innings, with a 4.2 BB/9 and 16 HR allowed. If another team is intrigued by the K rate and wants him as part of a package at the deadline, I'm selling.

His era is high but his FIP is 3.79 and xFIP 3.00. 

We will see if he can normalize a little. 

Edited by Mooreisbetter27
  • Upvote 1