We really are in a monster of a division

dystopia

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m surprised Toronto is struggling (negative run differential). I thought they looked like WS contenders and the best team in the East on paper. Of course it’s very early. 

Yes Pirates are tied for the fourth best record in the majors. Dodgers and Padres are below  500 and the Astros are now at. 500.

On 4/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, JR Oriole said:

I can't say that I am particularly anxious to face divisional rivals in these series.  The only two series we have lost this year were to Boston and New York. Last year, we lost the season series to all four rivals.  We were a pretty good team last year and especially so outside of our division, but the AL East seemed to have our number in key games like they so often have in the past. So I need to see us start to win these series on a consistent basis before I get excited about matching up with them. 

Boston is, on paper, not even close to a typical last place team. They are far better than that, which speaks to the ridiculous strength of the division. I am glad we are no longer the doormat to gift wrapping everyone 90 wins like we were just 2 seasons ago.  

This is a mentality that serves a team that is terrible.  WE are no longer in that box  IF you want to win a title, you have to measure up against these guys.  You certainly can't expect to beat em if you don't want to play em.  

Consider em a measuring stick.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:01 AM, Sports Guy said:

Just worry about yourself. If the Os can keep stacking wins, things will take care of themselves. 

This is the how we should look at it.

4 hours ago, foxfield said:

This is a mentality that serves a team that is terrible.  WE are no longer in that box  IF you want to win a title, you have to measure up against these guys.  You certainly can't expect to beat em if you don't want to play em.  

Consider em a measuring stick.

This is the how we should look at it.

That’s how I feel.  Obviously I enjoy it when we fulfill our mission against the weaker teams, but we also need to show the good teams who’s boss.  One of the huge disappointments last year was we blew the chance to win the season series with Tampa, Toronto and Boston at the end of the year.  This year I want to stomp them, and the Yankees.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s how I feel.  Obviously I enjoy it when we fulfill our mission against the weaker teams, but we also need to show the good teams who’s boss.  One of the huge disappointments last year was we blew the chance to win the season series with Tampa, Toronto and Boston at the end of the year.  This year I want to stomp them, and the Yankees.  

We were 9-9 against Boston, Toronto, and Tampa heading into our last game with each of them and with a chance to win the season series against all three, we lost each game.  Those three wins were the difference between 83 and 86 wins and the playoffs.  

I totally agree with you guys about how we as fans should feel and how the team should feel about matching up with our divisional rivals.  But I need to see us actually come through and win these big games against them before I believe we are there.  It starts with Boston this coming week.  Have to at least take 2 out of 3, especially with first ballot HOF slugger Duvall out of the lineup.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

We were 9-9 against Boston, Toronto, and Tampa heading into our last game with each of them and with a chance to win the season series against all three, we lost each game.  Those three wins were the difference between 83 and 86 wins and the playoffs.  

I totally agree with you guys about how we as fans should feel and how the team should feel about matching up with our divisional rivals.  But I need to see us actually come through and win these big games against them before I believe we are there.  It starts with Boston this coming week.  Have to at least take 2 out of 3, especially with first ballot HOF slugger Duvall out of the lineup.  

Please for everything Holy tell me you are being sarcastic with this.