TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Completely agree. I like Vavra but we simply have higher upside players ready for those PAs both in the outfield (Cowser, Stowers) and the infield (Westburg, Ortiz). 

We're getting a .683 OPS out of DH by the way. The worst of any position besides 2b so far. That includes a 1.0222 OPS in 7 games from Adley at DH, so suffice to say the other guys rotating in there are not getting the job done so far. 

It's frustrating to watch Elias bring up guys like Vavra and Stowers, who might be something but might not and then not give them enough playing time to find out.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Cowser has a clear path opening for him in the MLB, same with Westburg with Frazier's 628 OPS. 

Its only a matter of weeks before Elias makes the call, if not sooner for both at this point.

I’d jump right out of my chair if Westburg & Cowser came up together and replaced Vavra & Frazier.  How fun would that lineup be to watch every night.  DH & 2B OPS would get boosted immediately 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Frazier and his 8 million contract say otherwise.

Guess we are about to find out.  My feeling was they’d kick him to the curb when the time was right.  Man I hope they don’t disappoint me.  Would be a gut punch to have Frazier blocking The kids while he is playing poorly. Especially while team is on a heater.   Add gas to the fire!!

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Guess we are about to find out.  My feeling was they’d kick him to the curb when the time was right.  Man I hope they don’t disappoint me.  Would be a gut punch to have Frazier blocking The kids while he is playing poorly. Especially while team is on a heater.   Add gas to the fire!!

The time was right before he was signed. 

I've been a Cowser fan for a long time and figure he's part of the long-time plan. I'd much rather he get another two months or so in Norfolk though and ride it out with who we have until July, at least. I hate watching prospects bounce back and forth. I'd like to see him have the job on opening day in 24.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

When do we clear the service time clock or has that happened already?

Not sure what you mean.

Do you mean they can get the extra year?  That's past.

Super 2 is still in play.

And he of course can do like Adley did and earn his freedom a year earlier.

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I'm not so sure.  Option Vavra and less PAs for McKenna to make room for near full-time PAs for Cowser, sure.  But I don't see Frazier being benched that quickly.  Though I don't think Frazier's in the 2B seat (veteranosity or otherwise) like Odor was either.  Maybe another month...

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Frazier and his 8 million contract say otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if that is true it doesn't mean Elias is going to cut him or even take away his the majority of his at bats.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And let’s not forget, a LH 2nd baseman was a publicly stated need by Elias.

I think Frazier is headed for the bench in June IF three things about the current status quo stay that way: 1, Frazier isn't hitting. 2, Westburg and/or Ortiz are hitting well in AAA. 3) The other current O's infielders are all still here and healthy. 

I don't think the 8M price tag guarantees a year-long starting spot. A bunch of factors are different than last year that prevent this from being Odor Pt 2. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I think Frazier is headed for the bench in June IF three things about the current status quo stay that way: 1, Frazier isn't hitting. 2, Westburg and/or Ortiz are hitting well in AAA. 3) The other current O's infielders are all still here and healthy. 

I don't think the 8M price tag guarantees a year-long starting spot. A bunch of factors are different than last year that prevent this from being Odor Pt 2. 

I think the 8M guaranteed 400+ at bats if he is healthy and not traded.

Doesnt mean he starts as much as he is now but he will still be taking at bats away from players he shouldn’t.

• Upvote 1