Roch: Scout talks Os and Os prospects

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I’m just surprised Roch was allowed to acknowledge that it’s past time for Westburg to be called up. He must be coming soon. 

Of course. Roch is an organizational mouthpiece. He only does/says what the organization approves of. 

On 5/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, DirtyBird said:

Henderson got hot and brought his average over .200 briefly, but is enjoying being able to stink on a more regular basis. Great news.

This is a bit at this point, right? It's quite annoying to peruse the threads on here and seeing this practically exact same comment on every one. 

Now I see where Frobby got his "Ortiz doesn't run well!" comment. 

I've spoken with a lot of scouts of my time and there's a lot of "scout speak" in these notes. 

The thing is, statcast information has really allowed teams to be able to really identify whether a player can do something or not, not just based on the observations of a scout who may see a guy what, 15-20 times a year, maybe more if the team only gives a scout one team (A rarity now from what I hear).

Now, I'm not knocking the scout here because other than his wrong comment about Ortiz's speed, I don't see a ton to disagree with him with though as others have noted, there are some pretty generic comments (Again, it's a quick conversation not a detailed scouting report).

An interesting side discussion comes from him saying that Ortiz and Cowser "moved the needle" for him. I find that interesting because a lot of scouts won't come off their initial looks unless the players really develops something new. 

Ortiz moved almost everyone's needle of him once he started hitting what, last June at Bowie? His defense was always the same but watching the healthy version of Ortiz hit has been impressive.

Cowser has improved this year, albeit in a small sample size, against lefties. That's the biggest thing for me. He still swings and misses too much on offspeed pitches, but this year he's not swinging through too many fastballs. I agree with the scout that Cowser could play CF right now, but I think he will settle in left field where the cavernous Camden Yards needs that second "CF-type" outfielder.  

Unless the Orioles plan to trade Mullins, I'd be giving Cowser a lot more time in LF vs CF, or at the very least splitting time. But the Orioles continue to play him almost solely in CF (26 starts) with him getting just 6 starts in LF and 1 in RF. 

48 minutes ago, LTO's said:

This is a bit at this point, right? It's quite annoying to peruse the threads on here and seeing this practically exact same comment on every one. 

He's just a troll. Every post of his I've noticed is some sarcastic one to two sentence post which is usually meant to antagonize, or a stupid take.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Aglets said:

Did Roch just set his twitter feed to private?     I can't see his tweets anymore.   Anyone have any idea what happened?

From what Roch said in the comments on his blog posts, he may be off Twitter for the next several days while his account gets reinstated.

On 5/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, orioles22 said:

There was some debate last year on here about Westburg playing short in the majors. I think it's pretty clear now there are several in front of him there. It may come down to Ortiz or Westburg at second with the other being traded or moving to third in the unlikely event the Orioles move Gunnar for a No. 1 pitcher.

How much longer can you go with Mateo's bat at SS.  He's been MIA for almost a month.  I would like to see some sort of Ortiz/Mateo platoon at SS w/ Mateo being a IF backup too.

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

How much longer can you go with Mateo's bat at SS.  He's been MIA for almost a month.  I would like to see some sort of Ortiz/Mateo platoon at SS w/ Mateo being a IF backup too.

Both are right handed batters. How will that “platoon” work?

I don’t think it matters that much for the long term as both/either is merely a placeholder for Holliday. I’m not sure Mateo has a lot of trade value. Maybe Ortiz has more?

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Both are right handed batters. How will that “platoon” work?

I don’t think it matters that much for the long term as both/either is merely a placeholder for Holliday. I’m not sure Mateo has a lot of trade value. Maybe Ortiz has more?

Ortiz gets most of the playing time until Mateo finally gets on a hot streak.  I assume the Analytical wizards know enough to come up with an equitable division.