Rangers Series

Moose Milligan

I'm expecting something of a let down after they kicked ass on this road trip. It'll be up to the veterans, Hyde, and the coaches to do what they can to make sure that doesn't happen, but human nature is what it is. 

I will be ecstatic is we go 2-1, but am expecting to lose 2 of 3. Please don't let us get swept. 

Orioles sent out some info to Birdland members:

• Parking lots open 3 hours before the game Saturday
  • Gates open 2 hours before the games Friday and Saturday (Saturday had been announced previously, the Friday information is new)
  • O's parking is sold out for Saturday and Sunday (as well as Monday vs Cleveland) so it sounds like big crowds are expected

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

(26) Rodriguez vs. (47) Gray

(38) Kremer vs. (30) Heaney

(41) Bradish vs. (49) Dunning

Active AL roster standing in K-BB at 30 IP.    deGrom naturally is #1 at this if you de-select "Active Roster" but for now he still seems on track for October.     Everyone is Bottom Half or in Grayson's case barely above the line, not somewhere he should stay.

Bruce Bochy looks like he has a set lineup and is riding his nuggets like Buck.    The Last 6 Lineups on Roster Resource - the four bench players have just 3 starts in the 54 Player/Games available.

Team Batting Splits - OPS is 775 v. RHP, and 831 v. LHP.    Fangraphs gives them as the second team after Tampa to have passed 10 WAR from its Batters before Memorial Day.     AL wRC+ leaders as Tampa has cooled some entering the series are TBR 138, TEX 119, TOR 110, BAL 109.

TEX having done all this with Seager and deGrom mostly absent is impressive.    I forget if Brandon Hyde got a Manager of the Year, but between 3 WS rings, 3 years on the sidelines and veteranosity Bochy looks like the favorite.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Looks like the toughest team the O's have faced.   They hit,  They pitch well and They field well.

But.....They have the 28th best pen in the MLB.   

I think TOR and TEX are similar in that when you have a lot of money for expensive pitchers, you can get Stars and Scrubs structures.     Certainly on the cheap TBR and Elias know they can make up some of that by amassing stronger reliever depth, or just knowing how to coach up any AAA arm better than the other guy.      The Active Roster K-BB readouts for the "up" guys entering tonight:

BAL "A": 31-31-29-19      BAL "B": 15-15-12-4

TEX "A": 24-20-13-12      TEX "B": 10- 8- 6- 6

Kyle Gibson is sort of a baseball strategy of playing chess for a draw from the opening move, and can be very helpful in the big game of "what's being attrited are pitcher's arms".

Two franchises that were recently awful and rebuilt in very different ways. 

I like the Rangers, I am not saying they are better but statistically they are much better. They have the payroll ($150m) most of us desire and think the Orioles ultimately can afford, they can compete and win for elite free agents. 

Most important to me-they were able to compete against the Orioles and win on the type of mid tier starters most of us desired and thought the Orioles could afford (Gray, Evoldi, Heaney, Odorizzi).  Why were they such a more attractive destination then Baltimore?  Don't give me taxes because although Texas has no income tax with higher sales and property taxes they are similar.  They don't have that beautiful left field Elias built.  AL East maybe. Lifestyle, maybe but that is subjective.  An ownership and management team committed to providing the resources to win, and a better place to further my career....bingo.         

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But the O's aren't playing the AL East, they are playing the AL West.

Well I consider the AL east the best AL division, so I'm always interested in seeing how opponents outside the AL east matchup vs them.