Giants Series

Just Regular

Black and orange, bay bee!  My two lifetime teams - the G men from birth to 14 (1957) when they left the spacious Polo Grounds for SF and later the “Stick”.  My boys Willie had fun.  I turned to the Orioles in 1966 when a kid in the office in DC  mentioned Brooks and the Orioles.  I latched on and have hung on for the ride since.

We have pseudo reunions with Mike Yaz and Alex Cobb.  Too bad Austin Wynns wore out his welcome @Legend_Of_Joey 😇.  Who will deposit one in the bay?  Gunnar?  Frazier?  O Hearn?  Tony Tater?  Hicks?

I fear that I won’t see the first two games except condensed and then Sunday I golf so will be watching from my cart 🥲.  I do love that new stadium vice the Stick.  I made it out to the Stick once.  Go Black and Orange!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I do love that new stadium vice the Stick.  I made it out to the Stick once. 

Me too.  It was Fernando Valenzuela’s phenom rookie year, and my housemates and I made a trek to the ‘Stick to see the phenom face the Giants.  I’m pretty sure it was this game.   All I know is, it was frigging freezing in that stadium!  Horrible place to see a ballgame.  

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

I watch the Giants fairly often(my wife’s team) and I can say the series is tougher than what you see on paper since they had such a terrible start.
Schmitt and Bailey have been some great additions coming up playing solid defense and hitting well.
Doval has been red hot his last 11 save opportunities striking out 20 in 12 2/3. Taylor Rogers is looking good and Tyler giving you that weird arm angle and they are getting back Luke Jackson from TJ this series. 
It is chilly and damp and the first two games are starting at 10pm eastern, so who knows what effect that will have on the team. The air is heavy, so it is more difficult to get it out of the park. 
All I know is I can’t give my wife too hard of a time if they win and will get a lot of shit from her and her dad if they lose. 

I was in SF to watch Os play once and my son (3 at the time) said “Go Os” to almost everyone he saw on the streets wearing black and Orange.  

It’s a common misconception but Balls actually fly farther in “heavy” or humid air.

While humid air does feel heavier, it is actually less dense than dry air, as the molecular weight of the water in humid air is less than that of the nitrogen and oxygen dominating air that is dry. As a result, the ball will actually fly farther when air is humid, but only a small amount.

• Like 1

A very well played game. We just play playoff level baseball. We just missed two homers. Frazier had a great turn on a double play. The Giants were up for the game but that’s just how we handle business this year. Webb had a nasty two seamer working. 

I think we put some runs up against Cobb. Hicks and O’Hearn are giving us a bit of a spark in the middle/bottom of the lineup. 

18 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I was in SF to watch Os play once and my son (3 at the time) said “Go Os” to almost everyone he saw on the streets wearing black and Orange.  

It’s a common misconception but Balls actually fly farther in “heavy” or humid air.

While humid air does feel heavier, it is actually less dense than dry air, as the molecular weight of the water in humid air is less than that of the nitrogen and oxygen dominating air that is dry. As a result, the ball will actually fly farther when air is humid, but only a small amount.

I get a strange look from people there when I yell O during the national anthem, but it is an unconscious reaction. 
Thanks for the insight, whatever it is, the ball doesn’t fly there as well as say Baltimore in July. It is always chilly and damp. May be the temperature and/or the breeze coming in from the bay that effects it, but you can clearly see how hard it is to hit it into the bay there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I rolled over this morning and watched the highlights of last nights game and immediately regretted not turning off the sound.

Melanie Newman is just painful. “Gunning for McCovey Cove! The young  Gun!”

Seriously?

I feel your pain. Just awful. And there are loads of minor league announcers more competent that would love to have that job. 

• Upvote 2

I rolled over this morning and watched the highlights of last nights game and immediately regretted not turning off the sound.

Seriously?

It’s better if, say, Gary Thorne says those words. 

Seriously?

I like the way Palmer has learned how to rapidly say something to contain the damage or confusion rendered by Newman's sentences, intonation, and failed metaphors. He's a lot more polite and forgiving than he was with Hunter.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 2

Seriously?

Sadly that was probably her best call of the night. I’ve never heard ‘play by play’ as bad as that game. She never talks about the at bat that’s going on. At one point she never said the batters name until he struck out on a 2-2 pitch. 

I wish she was better because she seems to have a good personality and definitely has a lot of enthusiasm for baseball in general. I respect her getting where she has in a male dominated profession. It brings me no joy to call her out. But PBP is just not for her. Like, at all. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Sadly that was probably her best call of the night. I’ve never heard ‘play by play’ as bad as that game. She never talks about the at bat that’s going on. At one point she never said the batters name until he struck out on a 2-2 pitch. 

I wish she was better because she seems to have a good personality and definitely has a lot of enthusiasm for baseball in general. I respect her getting where she has in a male dominated profession. It brings me no joy to call her out. But PBP is just not for her. Like, at all. 

The best thing about having Melanie doing PBP on the TV broadcast is that it means she’s not doing PBP on the radio broadcast, where you actually need the announcer to give a concise, timely and accurate description of what’s happening on the field.   On TV she’s not great, but it doesn’t really matter as much, since we can all see what’s happening.  On radio PBP she’s unbearable.  

I will add that I like her a lot on the pre- and post-game shows, and she’s fine doing color.  She’s also a solid interviewer.  Just not good at in-gsme description, which is harder than it looks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Seriously?

Last night:

"Félix Bautista gets the strike-out, gets the side!"

Of fries?

• Haha 2

Just to pile on here, so grateful for that OH poster's tip to switch to the synchronized radio feed for audio alongside the video feed in the MLB.TV app! Refreshing to hear the radio PBP which I haven't experienced much since my transistor-radio youth.