Giants Series

Just Regular

Excepting Palmer and McDonald, the current O’s broadcasters are solidly mediocre. If I wasn’t an O’s fanatic I would never tune in…and I randomly listen to games just because I like the broadcasters. Thankfully I got to watch/Listen to Jon Miller and Dave Flemming call the game on the MLB App.

44 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I haven't been here long, so you've never seen me hate on him. I always liked him ever since he was doing NHL for ESPN in the 90s. I couldn't believe that MASN was able to get such a big time broadcaster when he was calling Orioles games.

My favorite will always be Jon Miller when he was calling Orioles radio broadcasts. I wonder if he's calling the Giants game while the Orioles are playing? I would love to get patched into that and hear it.

I wasn't trowing shade at you or anyone in particular, I don't even remember which users used to criticize him.

I was just so shocked at the time to see so many people not enjoying his calls.

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Was looking for the Giants Series and found one more bash Melanie Newman thread.  Guess I’ll have to keep looking.

You're not wrong, but I think we've done our best to keep our bashing to a minimum so far this year.  So every now and then it needs a release.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Thorne had a great voice. Maybe that’s all you need to have for some people and that’s fine. Potato potahto.

I prefer knowledge of the game, identifying pitches properly, knowing who’s at bat, not treating the game as a sideshow while telling human interest stories during it, etc.

Rubbish, again. 

2 hours ago, Etch said:

people gotta vent ... watched the highlights of last night's game on Youtube this morning ... and who should grace my ears on a few plays but the GOAT ... Jon Miller!!! ... and especially so when he'd call a play after Melanie called a play ... good Lord he was ours for all those years ... thanks Peter ... thanks for nothin'!!

I was looking forward to hearing the San Francisco feed on XM last night because of Miller. Age is getting to him though... just not the same. Still, it was nice to hear him call an O's game again.

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was looking forward to hearing the San Francisco feed on XM last night because of Miller. Age is getting to him though... just not the same. Still, it was nice to hear him call an O's game again.

He definitely is not that same as the guy I listened to on my transistor radio, but the changes are subtle compared to the ones in me! One shift is that the frank crankiness that got him fired by Peter is even franker and crankier:

“I have to guess the D-backs decided the heck with the big leagues, let’s just not be a big-league team for the split-squad [game],” Miller said. “…They have sent no public relations people over here, no information about who the manager is or anything at all about it. If they don’t want to be a big-league team, we’ll just treat them like a sandlot team.

https://www.knbr.com/2023/03/05/jon-miller-rips-bush-league-diamondbacks-during-spring-training-game/V

• Thanks 1

I was listening to the radio broadcast vs the Giants last night on my drive home, and I was impressed with Geoff's calls on a few of the double plays. I really like his trademark "You can count 'em for 2!!" call on double plays. Geoff doesn't have a classic deeper style of voice but he still calls the play by play and brings the excitement while the action is happening. I can only speak for myself and I, for one, appreciate that.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Great. He starts heating up and then there’s a back issue. 

He is hitting .176 with an OPS of .624 the last 7 games I don’t think that is heating up.   He isn’t even walking much anymore as teams probably figure no need to pitch him so careful if he can’t hit.  

14 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

He definitely is not that same as the guy I listened to on my transistor radio, but the changes are subtle compared to the ones in me! One shift is that the frank crankiness that got him fired by Peter is even franker and crankier:

“I have to guess the D-backs decided the heck with the big leagues, let’s just not be a big-league team for the split-squad [game],” Miller said. “…They have sent no public relations people over here, no information about who the manager is or anything at all about it. If they don’t want to be a big-league team, we’ll just treat them like a sandlot team.

https://www.knbr.com/2023/03/05/jon-miller-rips-bush-league-diamondbacks-during-spring-training-game/V

I still love, “Adios pelota” as he did when Wade launched his on Friday.