Moves in the near term

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s what I have been saying. But some posters don’t see it that way. They don’t want to part with any talent except for our scraps like Urias. Or believe Norby and Prieto and Hall can get us an ace.

I get it though, some posters are in love with any prospect that wears orange and black. There’s even a believes that our rotation is better than any other in the AL. 

To me the best is when they build trade packages around two or three guys you know they want off the team anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the best is when they build trade packages around two or three guys you know they want off the team anyway. 

I don’t understand the logic of believing that we can acquire other team’s valued pieces for parts/players that have little to no value to us. I’ve heard posters suggest Mateo could fetch back worthwhile pieces, like other teams haven’t seen him hit in May and how easy he has been to get out. Someone else said a TOR starter could be acquired for Stowers, Prieto, and Norby. 

I question if some poster don’t just sip the “orange and black kool-aid” but actually bathe in it? I think are some people this in love with any plans and every prospect we have that they tend to exaggerate or over-inflate their value? Or just believe that other teams are run by a bunch of morons? Or that Elias and co are just that much smarter than everyone else?

As you mentioned most trades take place in the context of value exchanged for value.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t understand the logic of believing that we can acquire other team’s valued pieces for parts/players that have little to no value to us. I’ve heard posters suggest Mateo could fetch back worthwhile pieces, like other teams haven’t seen him hit in May and how easy he has been to get out. Someone else said a TOR starter could be acquired for Stowers, Prieto, and Norby. 

I question if some poster don’t just sip the “orange and black kool-aid” but actually bathe in it? I think are some people this in love with any plans and every prospect we have that they tend to exaggerate or over-inflate their value? Or just believe that other teams are run by a bunch of morons? Or that Elias and co are just that much smarter than everyone else?

As you mentioned most trades take place in the context of value exchanged for value.

Who has suggested trading guys with no value for talent we need?

I think you are completely over exaggerating what people are saying. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Who has suggested trading guys with no value for talent we need?

I think you are completely over exaggerating what people are saying. 

I’m never going to be a guy who calls people out personally or name drops. Just take a look around in this thread and about the last page or 2 in the Kjerstad thread. It’s right there in plain sight.

Once/if you do I’m curious to get your interpretation of those things if you think that I’m exaggerating.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah but we might be at the point where our actual spare parts are worth something. Westburg, Norby, Stowers, and Hall, all have value and might be able to land us a top SP. That’s a good package to throw at a Dylan Cease trade. Then just give Ohtani 10/500 this offseason and stack our rings up. One can dream. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m never going to be a guy who calls people out personally or name drops. Just take a look around in this thread and about the last page or 2 in the Kjerstad thread. It’s right there in plain sight.

Once/if you do I’m curious to get your interpretation of those things if you think that I’m exaggerating.

I don’t see anything you are talking about in this thread. I saw some people mention guys like Urias and Mateo but I saw no one say they would be the top piece.

I also saw YoU say you don’t like Gioloto. So, that doesn’t really mean much. Your opinion on a player and people suggesting guys with can trade for a player(s) are 2 completely different things.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see anything you are talking about in this thread. I saw some people mention guys like Urias and Mateo but I saw no one say they would be the top piece.

I also saw YoU say you don’t like Gioloto. So, that doesn’t really mean much. Your opinion on a player and people suggesting guys with can trade for a player(s) are 2 completely different things.

So just one page back, you didn't see this quote by one poster,

"To answer your other question, I'd trade Norby, Prieto, Hall, and Stowers. But I'd trade Urias, Mateo, and Santander first. I'd trade Mountcastle too, but he might have the least perceived value to other teams of any of those guys."

Not intending to single anyone out, but this is just one of many examples of posters potentially overrating some of our guys.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

"To answer your other question, I'd trade Norby, Prieto, Hall, and Stowers. But I'd trade Urias, Mateo, and Santander first. I'd trade Mountcastle too, but he might have the least perceived value to other teams of any of those guys."

Not intending to single anyone out, but this is just one of many examples of posters potentially overrating some of our guys.

I didn’t see where that poster was advocating for a particular SP coming back in the trade. Based off what they’re willing to offer, it may not be much of an upgrade on our current staff. I would also say there are always gonna be people with unrealistic views on what they’ll give up in a trade but most people on here understand if you’re looking for a TOR SP, significant value will need to be traded. Unless it’s someone like EdRod, who will likely be opting out this year. 

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And who did they say they would trade those guys for?

I mean, that would be a good amount for a rental player for sure..maybe too much.

Edited by Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I didn’t see where that poster was advocating for a particular SP coming back in the trade. Based off what they’re willing to offer, it may not be much of an upgrade on our current staff. I would also say there are always gonna be people with unrealistic views on what they’ll give up in a trade but most people on here understand if you’re looking for a TOR SP, significant value will need to be traded. Unless it’s someone like EdRod, who will likely be opting out this year. 

That person's response was an answer to a question that I posed to them in terms of who they would be willing to trade in order to seriously upgrade our starting rotation.

That response has been typical in terms of when I have asked several posters about who they would be willing to trade. I even had a few posters tell me that what we have is good enough. That Grayson is going to come back soon and be a serious contributor and between he and Means, we will be okay. Now to be fair, when I asked those same few folk which team of our projector playoff opponents would rather have our rotation than theirs, no answer ever comes back.

I guess I haven't been a part of the board long enough just yet to distinguish between the knowledgable/realistic fans and the delusional ones?

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And who did they say they would trade those guys for?

I mean, that would be a good amount for a rental player for sure..maybe too much.

The question that I posed at the time, was who would you be willing to trade for an impact starting pithing who would be a serious upgrade?

That package of prospects is the answer that I got. But I have seen ideas that were even more weighted in our favor. There even some posters who think that Mateo has some sort of trade value after these last 5 weeks of hitting, like other teams haven't watched what we all have seen...lol

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The question that I posed at the time, was who would you be willing to trade for an impact starting pithing who would be a serious upgrade?

That package of prospects is the answer that I got. But I have seen ideas that were even more weighted in our favor. There even some posters who think that Mateo has some sort of trade value after these last 5 weeks of hitting, like other teams haven't watched what we all have seen...lol

Well, the thing you appear to be missing is what the definition of an impact player is.

So, basically you are seeing people name names and then jumping to a conclusion that they are saying to trade those guys for ace starters. I’d be willing to bet that’s not what is happening.  It’s just  what is happening in your own mind.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, the thing you appear to be missing is what the definition of an impact player is.

So, basically you are seeing people name names and then jumping to a conclusion that they are saying to trade those guys for ace starters. I’d be willing to bet that’s not what is happening.  It’s just  what is happening in your own mind.

Gotcha thanks

41 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That person's response was an answer to a question that I posed to them in terms of who they would be willing to trade in order to seriously upgrade our starting rotation.

That response has been typical in terms of when I have asked several posters about who they would be willing to trade. I even had a few posters tell me that what we have is good enough. That Grayson is going to come back soon and be a serious contributor and between he and Means, we will be okay. Now to be fair, when I asked those same few folk which team of our projector playoff opponents would rather have our rotation than theirs, no answer ever comes back.

I guess I haven't been a part of the board long enough just yet to distinguish between the knowledgable/realistic fans and the delusional ones?

Were you talking about upgrading the rotation for the rest of this season with a rental or a TOR with years of control. Those are two totally different trade packages. 

A top 100 prospect and a couple 45FV guys would bring back a pretty significant rental piece I would think. Although I could be delusional I haven’t figured that out yet.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Were you talking about upgrading the rotation for the rest of this season with a rental or a TOR with years of control. Those are two totally different trade packages. 

A top 100 prospect and a couple 45FV guys would bring back a pretty significant rental piece I would think. Although I could be delusional I haven’t figured that out yet.

Well we have to consider both. But my preference would be a pitcher with more years of control than this one, since we will have the same hole at the front of our rotation next year as well, and maybe into the future beyond that.