I Love Aaron Hicks!

Mr-splash

On 6/12/2023 at 1:17 AM, LA2 said:

In his 10 games as an Oriole, Hicks has arisen from his Bronx grave to go:

10 for 29, with 7 BB, incl. 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 HR, 1 SB, 4 RBI, 8 R

.345 / .472 / .586 / 1.058

SSS, but he leads the team in BB/K and BB%, and is second only to Adam Frazier in low SO%.

SSS, but he looks happy and active in the Oriole dugout as opposed to the morose sulker he had become in the Yankees'.

SSS, but combined with his last 7 games with the Y's, "Hicksie" has gone 16 for 46 in 17 games, with 10 BB, incl. 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 12 R. BA/OBP: .348 / .565.

It's too bad that the next series against the Y's are not until the beginning (away) and end (home) of July....

Now 16 for 49 with 10 BB as an Oriole: .327 / .441 / .551 / .992

Combined with last 7 games with the Ys, Hicks has gone 22 for 66 in 23 games with 13 BB: .333 BA / .468 OBP. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Now 16 for 49 with 10 BB as an Oriole: .327 / .441 / .551 / .992

Combined with last 7 games with the Ys, Hicks has gone 22 for 66 in 23 games with 13 BB: .333 BA / .468 OBP. 

It's really interesting watching his at bats, great eye-knows the pitchers and has a plan.  Despite their limitations I don't doubt Hicks and Frazier will advance a runner late in a game. 

• Upvote 1

June month to date Chase Rates on the ballclub (I hadn't a clue O'Hearn has gone full Soto this month):

O'Hearn 20, Hicks 29, Gunnar 30, Adley 33, Hays/Frazier/Santander 39, Urias 40, Mateo 56

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=40&type=5&season=2023&month=6&season1=2023&ind=0&team=2&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31

The team walk rate is next to last, notwithstanding O'Hearn and Hicks sharp June eyes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SemperFi said:

It's really interesting watching his at bats, great eye-knows the pitchers and has a plan.  Despite their limitations I don't doubt Hicks and Frazier will advance a runner late in a game. 

Impressive that he has both a big leg-kick and good eye and bat control.

• Thanks 1

I have a good friend who is a Yankee fan. He is so pissed that Aaron Hicks is doing well for the O's. He also bet me (on Sunday when the Yanks were 4 games behind us) that the Yankees would not only be even with the O's by July 16, but they would be 2 games better

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta find a way to keep him in the lineup when Cedric comes back as long as he’s hitting this well. 

I said it in the game thread, get rid of Mountcastle, Tony to 1B, Hicks to RF.  O’Hearn can DH. 

I reached peak Mountcastle and McKenna months ago. Mountcastle was great on a losing team. Now he is a drag on a playoff team. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I said it in the game thread, get rid of Mountcastle, Tony to 1B, Hicks to RF.  O’Hearn can DH. 

That's exactly what I'd like to see, but unfortunately I don't envision that they would be willing to get rid of Mountcastle at this point.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta find a way to keep him in the lineup when Cedric comes back as long as he’s hitting this well. 

Drop Lester and McKenna. Platoon Mountcastle and O’Hearn at first or DH.  Santander DH’s or plays first. Hicks in right. I would not totally give up on Mountcastle just yet. 

2 hours ago, Spakman said:

Drop Lester and McKenna. Platoon Mountcastle and O’Hearn at first or DH.  Santander DH’s or plays first. Hicks in right. I would not totally give up on Mountcastle just yet. 

I concur. On all of this. I would still play Santander in RF occasionally though. There are times he shows flashes like when he guns down a runner with this arm or like that time in Chicago this season the batter smoked the ball and the data showed percentages would suggest it would be a hit, but Santander got a great jump and read on on it to beat it to the spot and catch it.

But I like the idea of Mullins, Hicks, and Hays playing the outfield together.