Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Sure, but that bat has to be in the lineup against RHP. He moves pretty well for a bigger guy. I don’t want him out there five games a week, but he can play out there 1-2 times a week until Mullins comes back, or Cowser comes up.

O'Hearn is the best first baseman we've got.  His Ops is over one.  As long as he keeps hitting he's going nowhere.  

3 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

O'Hearn is the best first baseman we've got.  His Ops is over one.  As long as he keeps hitting he's going nowhere.  

I agree, for now. There may be days where Santander, and even Urias, plays 1B. If they bring up another OF, or when Mullins comes back, fine. But, IMO, I would not take him out of the OF for one misplay. He is decent out there. I like O’Hearn, and I said so at the time of his acquisition.

Its a long season, and I would keep running him out there, on occasion, to keep his versatility. We may have further injuries that necessitate him playing there more. I like that Hyde plays him there. 

• Upvote 1

I went back and was reading the thread when we first got OHearn. It was amusing because, at the time, he was coming off a horrible start to his career and yet the local media was trying to do a sell job on us that he was the MOO bat we were looking for.

Well, as it turns out, maybe they were right. The shift really hurt him in years past. He has always been a guy with big power, hits the ball hard and will take a walk.

He turns 30 in a month. Could he have a late run in his career and put together a few good years?  I guess it’s possible. Right now, I wouldn’t treat this as anything more than a hot streak and just assume he will cool off considerably but maybe the shift being gone has helped him mentally and he’s just more locked in or something.

Either way, he’s a must start right now, especially against righties. Maybe things change over the course of the next few weeks but for now, you keep putting him out there..just not in the OF.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

So far, a little reminiscent of Steve Pearce emerging from several years of meh part-time play to reach a new level with the O’s. 

I've been thinking a lot about 2023 Ryan O'Hearn as a 2014 Steve Pearce analog as well.

11 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

So far, a little reminiscent of Steve Pearce emerging from several years of meh part-time play to reach a new level with the O’s. 

Just now, Babkins said:

I've been thinking a lot about 2023 Ryan O'Hearn as a 2014 Steve Pearce analog as well.

To go along with the 2023-Aaron–Hicks-as-2012-Nate–McClouth vibes.

I didn't like that Hyde took out O'Hearn in the game last night just because a left handed pitcher came in. Sometimes you have to look deeper at the splits than just "Oh that guys a lefty, just like my batter!" for real data, and sometimes you just have to trust your guy when he's hot. As they say, strike while the Iron is hot.

I think O'hearn should be starting at 1B every day. Or at least DH in some capacity with a platoon being the bare minimum of playing time he gets. He should get as much playing time as his performance allows. And he's been performing with an OPS of 1.015. Only Aaron Hicks has anything higher on the team right now.

Keep playing them.

When Mountcastle comes back, I love the idea others have suggested of platooning both of them. I say that more as Mountcastle's struggles against RHP than I do of O'Hearn. Mountcastle can be dangerous when he faces RHP. That's when his power really comes to the plate.

51 minutes ago, Babkins said:

To go along with the 2023-Aaron–Hicks-as-2012-Nate–McClouth vibes.

I like these.

How about O'Hearn as 1979-83 John Lowenstein or 1983 Jim Dwyer.  I really like him as a pure platoon player and I think he could work well with Mountcastle.  The problem is a 1B platoon is a big roster-spot hog in today's game.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-ryan-ohearn-adjustments-breakout-royals-20230623-mut7w3wijzg5zk6dtisd2i75gm-story.html

Great article on O'Hearn's battign tweaks. It's great to see this kind of stuff. Obviously it's impossible to make everyone instantly better like this (Mounty, Mateo, etc), but it's enormous for the organization when it works out. Especially with guys like O'Hearn who were cast-offs but still young. 

It's enough to make me wonder if Fuller/Borgschulte could have gotten anything out of Chris Davis if they were around then. I have a feeling Davis wouldn't be as willing to implement changes. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, Filmstudy said:

I like these.

How about O'Hearn as 1979-83 John Lowenstein or 1983 Jim Dwyer.  I really like him as a pure platoon player and I think he could work well with Mountcastle.  The problem is a 1B platoon is a big roster-spot hog in today's game.

He's also no Trumbo/Mancini/Mountcastle in RF.  He played OF in his formative years and has roughly ~200  OF games there in his career.  I value defense a lot more than most here so I don't want him out there often but he moves well and looks comfortable, on the error he broke well had a decent route looked the ball into his glove and just missed.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-ryan-ohearn-adjustments-breakout-royals-20230623-mut7w3wijzg5zk6dtisd2i75gm-story.html

Great article on O'Hearn's battign tweaks. It's great to see this kind of stuff. Obviously it's impossible to make everyone instantly better like this (Mounty, Mateo, etc), but it's enormous for the organization when it works out. Especially with guys like O'Hearn who were cast-offs but still young. 

It's enough to make me wonder if Fuller/Borgschulte could have gotten anything out of Chris Davis if they were around then. I have a feeling Davis wouldn't be as willing to implement changes. 

Great post!

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The Mateo experience should make people reluctant to trust the long-term effects of batting tweaks. It's still far more likely that O'Hearn reverts back to the guy from the last four years than it is that he's made real gains on this scale. He's been a fun story and a big help over the past month, and he should continue to eat into Mountcastle's PT as long as he stays hot, but I hope the club won't decide to give him the same kind of rope they've given to Mateo if/when he shows signs of regression.