Sizing Up The Orioles Ahead of The Trade Deadline (MLB Network)

Billy F-Face3

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

What?? I’m not aware of that.

Cowser still has prospect status as far as I know. 

@Sydnor statement was that Mayo may be our second best prospect. And I was asking according to that opinion, did that mean better than Kjerstad and Cowser?

31 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Coby Mayo isn’t blocked, and regardless of what the national rankings say, he might be our second best prospect not currently in MLB.

That's the statement Sydnor made.  Do you see the part about not currently in MLB?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What?? I’m not aware of that.

Cowser still has prospect status as far as I know. 

@Sydnor statement was that Mayo may be our second best prospect. And I was asking according to that opinion, did that mean better than Kjerstad and Cowser?

I said second best prospect not currently in MLB. Cowser is in MLB.

Yes, I like him better than Kjerstad. He is 3 years younger than Kjerstad and at the same level now. He had a higher OPS than Kjerstad at AA this year despite being 3 years younger. He had a higher wRC+ (176 to 159). I have seen them both play, and my opinion is that he is more athletic than Kjerstad. I also think he has more raw power. I could be wrong. Nevertheless, the fact that Mayo put up better numbers at the same level despite being 3 years younger, along with what I’ve seen, leads me to favor Mayo.

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

Coby Mayo isn’t blocked, and regardless of what the national rankings say, he might be our second best prospect not currently in MLB.

Well, the point was more about the general concept of trading a couple of hitting prospects.  I kind of like Kjerstad but I'm willing to go with Mayo being better.  If Kjerstad was a trade piece would you be okay with it?

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

I said second best prospect not currently in MLB. Cowser is in MLB.

Yes, I like him better than Kjerstad. He is 3 years younger than Kjerstad and at the same level now. He had a higher OPS than Kjerstad at AA this year despite being 3 years younger. He had a higher wRC+ (176 to 159). I have seen them both play, and my opinion is that he is more athletic than Kjerstad. I also think he has more raw power. I could be wrong. Nevertheless, the fact that Mayo put up better numbers at the same level despite being 3 years younger, along with what I’ve seen, leads me to favor Mayo.

I appreciate you sharing the details that inform your opinion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Well, the point was more about the general concept of trading a couple of hitting prospects.  I kind of like Kjerstad but I'm willing to go with Mayo being better.  If Kjerstad was a trade piece would you be okay with it?

I’m fine with trading Kjerstad. Honestly, I’m fine with trading any of them depending upon the return (not trying to be a cop out, I just don’t know who is realistically available and I’m not great at coming up with fake trades).

I don’t think they’re all going to reach their 90th percentile outcomes, and I don’t think they all will have a spot in the lineup, so trading some prospects will happen. Obviously, I, like everyone, value certain prospects more than others, and it’s fair to say that I value Mayo very highly because of his age and production at that age, so I wouldn’t move him without a significant return.

4 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We've got a stable of mediocrities.  

Let's take Jack Flaherty as an example.  He's been up and down over his career due to injuries.  So far this season his weakness is walking a lot of people (4.7 BB/9) - otherwise, he has 8.6 K/9, 0.6 HR/9 and an FIP of 4.01.  He's averaged 5.2 innings per start and gave up no runs his last two outings.  He is somebody that would improve the rotation but not on the front end.  He'd cost something like $2.5 mil for the remainder of the season and none of the Orioles top prospects.

I, like many other people here, would much prefer his teammate Jordan Montgomery, and would certainly be talking to the Cardinals about their asking price.  But I also do not believe Elias will place the highest bid when multiple teams are bidding (I'm reading Toronto and Philly among others are in on Monty).  I'm talking about what I think will happen, and somebody in the realm of Flaherty - somebody who perhaps Elias thinks the Orioles can improve - is the more likely scenario.

14 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Let's take Jack Flaherty as an example.  He's been up and down over his career due to injuries.  So far this season his weakness is walking a lot of people (4.7 BB/9) - otherwise, he has 8.6 K/9, 0.6 HR/9 and an FIP of 4.01.  He's averaged 5.2 innings per start and gave up no runs his last two outings.  He is somebody that would improve the rotation but not on the front end.  He'd cost something like $2.5 mil for the remainder of the season and none of the Orioles top prospects.

I, like many other people here, would much prefer his teammate Jordan Montgomery, and would certainly be talking to the Cardinals about their asking price.  But I also do not believe Elias will place the highest bid when multiple teams are bidding (I'm reading Toronto and Philly among others are in on Monty).  I'm talking about what I think will happen, and somebody in the realm of Flaherty - somebody who perhaps Elias thinks the Orioles can improve - is the more likely scenario.

I've never worried about the details.  I'm not that interested.  Aparicio going to the O's broke my heart.  That's the last time I cared that much.  

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If you think the O's rotation is ok now, how does it look w/ one of our better starters injured.  Most of the teams we are competing for playoff spots have had major injuries to the starting rotation.  Tampa Bay, New York and Texas have had multiple injuries.  I'm sure a lot of contenders have had rotation injuries.  O's chances would be a lot worse w/ only one above average starter.  I'm not jinxing anything, pitching injuries just happen. 

Legitimate question and the Orioles still have some young arms that are getting stretched out.

The best chance for another top 3 starter is probably still Grayson, but he's also most likely to hit an IP limit.

I have no issue with a trade for a starter, but I want it to be a lefthander for reasons given above.

Just now, Filmstudy said:

Legitimate question and the Orioles still have some young arms that are getting stretched out.

The best chance for another top 3 starter is probably still Grayson, but he's also most likely to hit an IP limit.

I have no issue with a trade for a starter, but I want it to be a lefthander for reasons given above.

I'll be a bit suprised if Grayson gets shut down due to innings after Elias' comments earlier in the year.

30 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Who do you think the Orioles would need to trade for Flaherty?  And is the plan a pure rental or aspirations to re-sign?

5 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Who do you think the Orioles would need to trade for Flaherty?  And is the plan a pure rental or aspirations to re-sign?

I guess this would fit the "specific trades" thread but a look into their future - if they trade from pitching they definitely need pitching back.  They also don't seem to have a ready replacement for Goldschmidt at 1B, unless they move Jordan Walker there because he's been atrocious defensively, but then there's a hole in the outfield.

So, something like Kyle Stowers and Drew Rom.  Rom is 18th in the Orioles Pipeline and floundering in AAA, but would probably be around 10th in the Cardinals Pipeline.  I'm not sure what the value of Stowers is anymore but it's probably higher in Saint Louis.

As far as re-signing him, it would depend on how he finishes the season, as well as how the team doctors feel about him.  And the money of course.  But if things go well, that would be great.  He's only 27.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I appreciate you sharing the details that inform your opinion.

I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here, but one more thing to consider with respect to Mayo and his age is a point that Tony has made several times, which is that if he had gone to college, he would’ve been in this year’s draft. Instead, he’s in AAA, and has performed. He’s actually 8 days younger than Bradfield. How he has performed at this point is exceptional and who knows where he would have been picked if he had gone to college and developed at the same pace.

Edited by Sydnor

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Acting like Kremer does not exist is a mistake.  He has started 12 games since May 1st.  He has allowed 3 or few runs in 10 of them.   He is 9-4 on the year.

I just read through the thread.  Who is acting as if Kremer doesn’t exist?

I certainly agree Kremer could be in the playoff rotation if he pitches well in the second half.  It’s reasonable to hope he couid pitch as well as he has since May 1, or maybe even a little better.  And, it seems to me like he has pitched some of his best games in big moments.   

None of that would stop me from acquiring another pitcher who I think is better than Kremer, if one is available.