Is Anthony Santander Our Best Hitter Right Now?

johnrambo

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do. He’s one of the many players this team has that shouldn’t be getting everyday at bats. But hey, people like him so you can’t say “mean things” about him.

He's just so inconsistent. He'll hit 5 HR's in a week and then suck for a couple. The problem is, they're not going to replace him heading into the final 40 or so games. 

22 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

He's just so inconsistent. He'll hit 5 HR's in a week and then suck for a couple. The problem is, they're not going to replace him heading into the final 40 or so games. 

MLB is littered with players just like him. I said this the other day but there are very few everyday players in this league. There are very few “must start” everyday guys. 

We need to stop acting as if these guys should be treated as such.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

MLB is littered with players just like him. I said this the other day but there are very few everyday players in this league. There are very few “must start” everyday guys. 

We need to stop acting as if these guys should be treated as such.

They're going to keep putting him in the middle of the lineup. 

Like I said, they're not going to replace him this late in the season. I find it unlikely that he will try to trade him this winter too. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They're going to keep putting him in the middle of the lineup. 

Like I said, they're not going to replace him this late in the season. I find it unlikely that he will try to trade him this winter too. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

But that’s the thing..you don’t need to replace him this year but taking at bats from him, resting him some and not pretending like he’s an everyday guy should be happening.  Play him 5-6 games a week…ie, rest him 1-2 games a week. Nothing wrong with that.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s the thing..you don’t need to replace him this year but taking at bats from him, resting him some and not pretending like he’s an everyday guy should be happening.  Play him 5-6 games a week…ie, rest him 1-2 games a week. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you resting him for Hicks, Cowser or Mckenna because those are his replacement options.  In reality the offense is pretty pedestrian.   We have no great hitters but a bunch of slightly above average hitters.  Only O'Hearn OPSing over .800 yet 8 guys over .765.  The sum is defiantly greater then its parts in this offense.   

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who should be playing instead of him?  They are in a playoff push.  Are you going to sit Gunnar too, who has been struggling just as much if not more?  What about Hays?  He is in a bit of a slump.  He will be right around and .800 OPS by the end of the season.  That is going to be one of the better numbers on the team.  Now next year, I agree they have to figure out how to make room for Kjerstad, Cowser, and later likely Mayo and Holliday.  That will involve dealing off some vets. 

Santander being the best hitter on the team is the biggest weakness. Who is the Orioles batter that strikes any amount of fear in the opponent? Is there a single batter where opposing pitchers say, "I can't give into *preceding hitter* because [blank] is on deck?" Never. It also happens to be the teams best strength. Besides Mateo you can make a claim that every position player is at least league average to good for their position, so no true lineup weakness.

Just now, baltfan said:

Who should be playing instead of him?  They are in a playoff push.  Are you going to sit Gunnar too, who has been struggling just as much if not more?  What about Hays?  He is in a bit of a slump.  He will be right around and .800 OPS by the end of the season.  That is going to be one of the better numbers on the team.  Now next year, I agree they have to figure out how to make room for Kjerstad, Cowser, and later likely Mayo and Holliday.  That will involve dealing off some vets. 

Gunnar plays because Gunnar’s defense and speed still make him valuable even if he is slumping some. 

Well Cowser should still be here getting his time so he can get better for October. However, since he’s not, they don’t have many choices.

I would  have a different roster construction right now. Mateo and Hicks wouldn’t be on it for me and we would see more of a rotation amongst many guys.

Mullins and Henderson would be playing everyday (well Mullins perhaps sit occasionally to protect the groin). Mounty playing everyday right now. Otherwise, it’s a rotation.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar plays because Gunnar’s defense and speed still make him valuable even if he is slumping some. 

Well Cowser should still be here getting his time so he can get better for October. However, since he’s not, they don’t have many choices.

I would  have a different roster construction right now. Mateo and Hicks wouldn’t be on it for me and we would see more of a rotation amongst many guys.

Mullins and Henderson would be playing everyday (well Mullins perhaps sit occasionally to protect the groin). Mounty playing everyday right now. Otherwise, it’s a rotation.

I like Cowser, but he was the biggest black hole by far in the lineup and there weren’t a ton of indications that was turning around.  Maybe getting set down can let him reset.  Would you really bet on Cowser having a higher OPS than Santander for the rest of the season?

27 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I like Cowser, but he was the biggest black hole by far in the lineup and there weren’t a ton of indications that was turning around.  Maybe getting set down can let him reset.  Would you really bet on Cowser having a higher OPS than Santander for the rest of the season?

Sigh…why do people keep spinning this Cowser thing in this way?

This has zero to do with him being better than Hays or Santander or really anyone outside of Hicks or Mateo.

It’s just simply finding a way for him to get at bats and get enough at bats to justify him being here and a way to rest guys that shouldn’t play every game because they just aren’t good enough to play every game.

It is nothing more than that. 

Edited by Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He won't be around .800 OPS unless he goes on another stretch like he had in May.

You mention Hays slumping - he has gotten nights off and oved down in the lineup.  Mullins got moved down in the lineup when he slumped. Tony Taters is immoveable. 

Honestly, Westburg is giving the team some of the best AB's now. I would keep moving him up in the lineup.