Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who do we remove from our pen to add a traded for reliever?  That’s the problem for Elias. How do we get to the extra pitcher in September?

Bautista, Cano, Columbe, Baker, Baumann, Fuji, Perez, long man

I don’t think it’s hard to make room at all. Krebhiel, Perez, and Baker can all be easily upgraded. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who do we remove from our pen to add a traded for reliever?  That’s the problem for Elias. How do we get to the extra pitcher in September?

Bautista, Cano, Columbe, Baker, Baumann, Fuji, Perez, long man

Any not named Bautista or Fujinama (because he was newly acquired).

The bullpen is really Baustista and then a steep fall off of a cliff to everybody else. Not a tough decision at all IMO.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would Verlander care about this? The time it would take Angelos to move the team would exceed Verlander's window as a Major League ballplayer.

Sorry, I guess obvious sarcasm isn’t obvious enough without a 😜 

2 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

I don’t think it’s hard to make room at all. Krebhiel, Perez, and Baker can all be easily upgraded. 

Upgraded?  But they’re still 1 IP guys. You’d be swapping them out for another 1 IP reliever. You’d still have the same problem. You only have 8 spots. 

The issue is that Baker and Perez don’t have options. Over a 162 game season, you need to be able to option your relievers outside of your top guys. 

We’re already maxing out the 8th spot by having a reliever like Khreibel versus a classic long man. 

We’re spoiled. Sometimes you gotta run your relievers out there other than Bautista and Cano in high leverage situations. Over 162, that means using your 7th/8th best reliever. 

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.  Everyone here wants a guy like Verlander, no one wants to part with what it'll cost to get him (including me, I don't want to give up what it'll most likely cost to get him).

But that's the game, and if Elias lands Verlander no one can accuse him of not going for it.  

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The bullpen is really Baustista and then a steep fall off of a cliff to everybody else. Not a tough decision at all IMO.

Baker or Perez goes 

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No crap it is.  99% of relievers in MLB are a steep drop from Bautista. Sorry. You’re 6th, 7th, and even 8th best reliever, has to pitch. 

Why does Elias keep giving Hyde a fresh arm in the 8th spot of the pen and Hyde not using them. Nobody else has options. 

Sometimes we’re going to lose close games. It happens. We’re lucky, and very spoiled, that we’re this far into the season and have only dealt with a little bit of fatigue from Cano. Remember Bautista was struggling right before the miracle of Cano showed up. 

So we’re so spoiled as a fan base that we’re asking Elias to find the next Cano, not trade away too much, and this next Cano better be able to get 6 outs every two games?  

Seems realistic. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.  Everyone here wants a guy like Verlander, no one wants to part with what it'll cost to get him (including me, I don't want to give up what it'll most likely cost to get him).

But that's the game, and if Elias lands Verlander no one can accuse him of not going for it.  

I think the positive PR alone would justify the move in the short term.  Massive attendance boost, national articles, etc.  if he kills it, Elias is a god.  If he doesn’t, oh well he tried.  With that said, it’s a massive gamble and not one I’m sure I’d take.  I think the Verlander deadline magic is a once in a career story.