What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

It's time to let him go. You lose some speed in a late inning pinch running scenario, but not much else. I think he's more flashy than consistent with the glove. Definitely a baller, but still prone to mistakes.

Maybe they're preparing Ortize as the headliner in a big trade. I guess we'll find out within a week, but if not, Mateo needs to be off this team.

15 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

BB's aren't very productive in high leverage situations

Not sure I agree. They keep the inning going. Now if you want to argue that he's a not a run producer in those situations because of taking walks, then I agree, but they're not outs so they count for me.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure I agree. They keep the inning going. Now if you want to argue that he's a not a run producer in those situations because of taking walks, then I agree, but they're not outs so they count for me.

No matter how you slice it, Adley’s .716 OPS in high leverage situations isn’t very good.   But I thihk drawing a walk in a high leverage situation is just fine, especially when you’re the no. 2 hitter in the lineup so presumably a pretty good hitter is folliwing you.

Also, I think a lot of people don’t know what is included as a “high leverage” situation.  It doesn’t necessarily require runners on base.   Let’s say you are leafing off in the 9th inning in a game where your team is tied or down by a run.  That’s a high leverage situation, and in that scenario, a leadoff walk is huge.  

• Upvote 1

Despite what any numbers say, I prefer seeing someone like Santander, Mullins, Henderson, OHearn, Urias a big spot.   Just think they are more likely to come through.  There’s a mixture of patience and aggressiveness.   Hays, Mountcastle and Mateo are too agressive and give AB’s away.   Rutschman and Cowser are too passive and let first pitch fastballs go by.

As good as Rutschman is, how many times do you see a fastball down the middle for strike one.  Next pitch is usually a ball or something that’s a pitchers pitch that he swings at.

Despite the 3 run homer last night, I have more faith in the other hitters if they get the fastball in the fastball count.  Rutschman gets into lots of hitter counts but still can’t take advantage.  

Edited by RZNJ

Back to Mateo.  Last night he came up late in the game in a bunt situation, failed twice on bunt attempts on good pitches to bunt, then struck out.  One more thing he can’t do well that a crappy hitter needs to be able to do.  

I’m on a bit of a rampage now.  His at bats literally infuriate me at this point.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Back to Mateo.  Last night he came up late in the game in a bunt situation, failed twice on bunt attempts on good pitches to bunt, then struck out.  One more thing he can’t do well that a crappy hitter needs to be able to do.  

I’m on a bit of a rampage now.  His at bats literally infuriate me at this point.  

Elias to Sigbot:

"We are going to have to do something.  Hyde is still with us and most of the boys in the dugout are ok and pulling for Jorge.  But I think the canary in the mine is dead.  Over at OH we've lost @Frobby.  It like the engineers report of the Titanic after the iceberg.  The ship will go down.  It is merely a matter of time.

Let Britton know.  It's time."

• Haha 1

You IL Mateo if you are going to do something.  Let him get healthy.  He has value healthy and it might allow for a reset.  A guy like him could be valuable in the playoffs as a pinch runner and also defensive replacement (if he is healthy and gets over his latest issues).

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You IL Mateo if you are going to do something.  Let him get healthy.  He has value healthy and it might allow for a reset.  A guy like him could be valuable in the playoffs as a pinch runner and also defensive replacement (if he is healthy and gets over his latest issues).

I think that ship has sailed.  Sure you can IL him let him get healthy but during that time on the IL better younger players (Ortiz) are going to surpass him.  It has been mentioned by a few people here and I agree, he needs regular playing time and he isn't good enough to get regular playing time on this team anymore.

I feel bad for Jorge Mateo.  This was always the outcome.  He was given the job outright last year and to his credit he was a phenomenal defender and on a few brief occasions he showed signs of coming around with the bat.

Coming into this year he was provided with the same opportunity as Frazier.  Hold down the middle infield until the young guns are ready.  Mateo came out of the gate on fire.  But he has been caught and he now plays like a player who knows his time, with this team, has passed.  

It really does appear that not being the everyday guy messes with his head.  IDK, but wether he goes to IL or DFA, I am going to miss him, but the time has come.

• Upvote 1