What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

9 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. Mateo's defense and speed aren't good/useful enough to justify the holes in his bat, but they're still usable skills from the bench. Does Frazier do a single thing well?

But Joey should have been starting over Jorge a long time ago now. If Hyde felt like he needed some reason to justify the optics of sitting Mateo down for another rookie, he has it after these past few games.

I don’t know if we’ve been watching the same team. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Mateo has failed to make makeable plays at least 4 times in the last 9 games, every one of them in a consequential spot.  His offense isn’t bad, it’s HORRENDOUS.  He’s absolutely forfeited his privilege to play for a c C o tending team.  

Frazier has flaws but he’s been WAY, WAY better than Mateo for the last three months.  It’s not even a close call.   

The question shouldn't be which one of Mateo or Frazier should be allowed to stay on the roster and start games. Neither of them are starters anymore. And if I have to choose between one of them on the bench, I'll take Mateo. He can come in as a pinch runner and for situational defense. Adam Frazier can... bunt?

11 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. Mateo's defense and speed aren't good/useful enough to justify the holes in his bat, but they're still usable skills from the bench. Does Frazier do a single thing well?

But Joey should have been starting over Jorge a long time ago now. If Hyde felt like he needed some reason to justify the optics of sitting Mateo down for another rookie, he has it after these past few games.

But the defense has gone, inexplicably. He is playing himself out of that playoffs pinch runner/defense role. There is nothing left. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mateo has failed to make makeable plays at least 4 times in the last 9 games, every one of them in a consequential spot.  His offense isn’t bad, it’s HORRENDOUS.  He’s absolutely forfeited his privilege to play for a c C o tending team.  

Frazier has flaws but he’s been WAY, WAY better than Mateo for the last three months.  It’s not even a close call.   

Yeah, there's no reason he should be on the team at this point.  His calling card on defense is forfeit.  As for his speed, well you can't steal 1st base.  We have other people who can pinch run.  Not as fast as him but fast enough that we can't justify him being on the roster at this point.  Having said that, I fully expect him to be on the team going forward sadly.

12 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Good defense? Every ball hit him either boots double clutches the throw or just misses it.

Also I saw people complaining that he didn't bunt in the 9th...are we forgetting his bunting disaster a couple weeks ago? He can't do that either.

I loved the guy late last year and early this year, but he has just fallen off SOOO badly.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

The question shouldn't be which one of Mateo or Frazier should be allowed to stay on the roster and start games. Neither of them are starters anymore. And if I have to choose between one of them on the bench, I'll take Mateo. He can come in as a pinch runner and for situational defense. Adam Frazier can... bunt?

Adam Frazier has a league average OPS that is above average for a 2B.   He does a lot of situational things well.  Mateo is a guy you can bring in late in the game to blow a key defensive play.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno who downvoted this post but that was silly. Everything here is spot on. 

I was a big Mateo defender this off-season but he’s no longer defensible and he hasn’t been for quite some time.  The defense is no longer elite and has been bad in some recent big moments.  He hardly ever gets on base so the speed isn’t really a threat to steal anymore. 

Sad to see because he’s a good, likable guy with tremendous talent and I think he’s a good teammate but he needs to go. He’s worn out his welcome.  

I was a defender of Mateo too despite his inconsistent bat and even thought maybe Mateo could have a role as backup infielder. I don't think this anymore. Urias is more suited to be a super sub who can backup at 2B/3B/SS.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Adam Frazier has a league average OPS that is above average for a 2B.   He does a lot of situational things well.  Mateo is a guy you can bring in late in the game to blow a key defensive play.

Is Adam Frazier the starting 2B on a world series winning team? More than Urias or Westburg or Ortiz? Is Adam Frazier the 2B on this team next year? If not, he shouldn't be starting. And Mateo obviously shouldn't either. Neither has much positional versatility from the bench, but Mateo plays a more important position and fields it better in addition to the pinch running ability.

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Frazier's bat has been better than Mateo's but his defense has deteriorated before our eyes since the AS break.  I honestly would feel more confident about the O's future this season if they both were replaced with Ortiz and Kjerstad with Urias taking an even greater role in the IF - just not at SS.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno who downvoted this post but that was silly. Everything here is spot on. 

I was a big Mateo defender this off-season but he’s no longer defensible and he hasn’t been for quite some time.  The defense is no longer elite and has been bad in some recent big moments.  He hardly ever gets on base so the speed isn’t really a threat to steal anymore. 

Sad to see because he’s a good, likable guy with tremendous talent and I think he’s a good teammate but he needs to go. He’s worn out his welcome.  

Was Os4days.

One of those posters who downvote other folks posts as much as they post anything themselves.

• Upvote 1

I suspect Mateo gets a start against a left hander tomorrow.  It may be close to his last chance but it sounds like Gunnar will be a day to day thing.  With Gunnar hurt I just don't see them DFA Mateo and playing another rookie in Ortiz.  Yes he is hitting at AAA but so was Cowser and Westburg.  Do you throw in another rookie with Hicks and Mullins out as well?  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fraizers slugging percentage is only 10 points lower than Adleys 🙃