Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is there tho?

I don't think it comes up as often as you do.  Keep in mind not only do you need a stolen base you need to have a situation in which you can replace the baserunner with Mateo and not hurt your chances more than the value of the stolen base.  You aren't going to run for Adley in the third for instance.

Mateo has begun a game on the bench 35 times this year.  He’s been used as a pinch runner 5 times, stealing 2 bases and scoring 1 run.  In three of those games, he stayed in as a defensive replacement.  He’s also played in 8 other games as a defensive replacement at SS, and one in CF.  So, that’s probably the best indicator we have of how often his defensive and baserunning skills would be used off the bench.  

One of my big concerns is that he seems to play less consistent defense when he’s not in the lineup every day.   That seriously diminishes his value as a defensive replacement.  

4 hours ago, Go_Os said:

Ortiz will be up after rosters expand.  That seems pretty clear to me.  There is no reason to make any big changes as long as we are winning.  Mateo's speed will be needed in the playoffs.

They can only add 2 players now.  Judging by how the Orioles operate I think 1 of those probably will be a pitcher.  I don't think that's how it should be but that's probably what they'll do.

A lot of people think Kjerstad is probably the position player that will be added.  You may be right and it's Ortiz instead, but I don't think it's a certainty at all unlike the old days where you could add pretty much the entire 40-man.

I believe there is a max of 14 pitchers after Sept 1 and Means or Hall may be ready to contribute by then. Ortiz, although deserving and already on the 40-man, is still redundant with Westburg, Frazier, Urias already here and Gunnar playing every day. A dangerous bat like Kjerstad's may be more valuable to post season success than Ortiz.

After this year Frazier will be gone. So perhaps Ortiz opens up 2024 getting essentially the at bats Frazier is getting this year. Gunnar at SS, and Urias/Westburg/Ortiz rotating around 2B/3B as needed. Elias may just want Ortiz to continue to get at bats, because unless there's an injury it's still going to be difficult for the remainder of 2023 on the Orioles. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Mateo is the only guy on this team that would have been safe at home today.  That’s why he is on the team. You need someone like that in the playoffs. 

No you don't.

Who did last year's Astros team have like that?

It is a great weapon to have in a very specific situation that doesn't come up all that often.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mateo is the only guy on this team that would have been safe at home today.  That’s why he is on the team. You need someone like that in the playoffs. 

Our first round pick this year would have made it.

That's it.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No you don't.

It is a great weapon to have in a very specific situation that doesn't come up all that often.

In the playoffs, if Ortiz was on the team, how many times would he see the field. He has no elite skill greater than our starters. Mateo does, speed 

28 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

In the playoffs, if Ortiz was on the team, how many times would he see the field. He has no elite skill greater than our starters. Mateo does, speed 

This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Joey’s glove is better than everyone’s on the current 26 man and that includes Ced.

As much as I would like to see Joey getting ABs at the highest level and considering how special his glove is, I don’t see his promotion (or any position player’s promotion) as important as adding arms.

Today’s game showed once again how vital healthy arms are to playoff teams. I love Fuji’s potential and as devastating as he can be, the O’s need more consistency from the pen. These dramatic games are great learning experiences for the team but they are awful for keeping my hair. Better pitching = more hair for Ben. I vote for more hair for Ben. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

This is a little bit of an exaggeration. Joey’s glove is better than everyone’s on the current 26 man and that includes Ced.

As much as I would like to see Joey getting ABs at the highest level and considering how special his glove is, I don’t see his promotion (or any position player’s promotion) as important as adding arms.

Today’s game showed once again how vital healthy arms are to playoff teams. I love Fuji’s potential and as devastating as he can be, the O’s need more consistency from the pen. These dramatic games are great learning experiences for the team but they are awful for keeping my hair. Better pitching = more hair for Ben. I vote for more hair for Ben. 

This is a statement not based in reality.

Agree with you about everything else.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No you don't.

Now do the teams that is closest to this team, the 2015 Royals. 

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think their version of Mateo was good enough to start.

Actually, their starting SS was pretty much like Mateo: Alcides Escobar--

662 PAs, 3 HR, 17 SB; 67 OPS+ / 1.7 dWAR

Our Mateo is currently:

289 PAs, 6HR, 25 SB; 65 OPS+ / 0.8 dWAR

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 4