Should the Orioles retire Mussina’s number?

SilentJames

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said, at their peaks, it’s close. I never definitively said which was better but there is unquestionably an argument for it.  Complete dismissal of it shows ignorance to actual performance and it shows nostalgic feelings.

Hilarious you are here on an OH site saying that my belief that Jim Palmer was the best Orioles pitcher is because of “nostalgia “ lol 

Some people always have to be right.  They are usually wrong. 

5 hours ago, SilentJames said:

Buster Olney has been grinding this ace for the last 12 hours. The Orioles have not retired Mussina’s number and this is a grave offense to Olney. 

so how do we feel? 
options:

1) The Orioles should do it and the fact they haven’t is an insult (the Olney position) 

2) The Orioles should do it but they haven’t and it’s their call so meh.

3) The Orioles shouldn’t do it because he didn’t go into the Hall as “an Oriole,” and the team has to draw the line somewhere. 

4) I really don’t care 

5) The Orioles shouldn’t do it because Mussina is a traitor and I still haven’t gotten over it. 

For me, it's not about him going to the NYY. Sure, he is a professional and the NYY were winning the WS every year at the time. The problem is that Mussina is a self-absorbed individual who disparaged the organization on his way out. So I don't see why the Orioles are compelled to retire his number. A team's hall of fame is not based only on performance, it's not like the hall of fame itself. Earnest Byner was the first Ravens to have his number retired.

32 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Hilarious you are here on an OH site saying that my belief that Jim Palmer was the best Orioles pitcher is because of “nostalgia “ lol 

Some people always have to be right.  They are usually wrong. 

Because I believe you are using nostalgia. Most older fans do. And btw, younger fans do it too. You were right with what you said before.

That said, you essentially said there is no discussion on who is better. That’s factually wrong.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

For me, it's not about him going to the NYY. Sure, he is a professional and the NYY were winning the WS every year at the time. The problem is that Mussina is a self-absorbed individual who disparaged the organization on his way out. So I don't see why the Orioles are compelled to retire his number. A team's hall of fame is not based only on performance, it's not like the hall of fame itself. Earnest Byner was the first Ravens to have his number retired.

How did he disparage the organization?

No to retiring his number. To me you have to be a generational player and part of championship team. I absolutely love Mike Mussina but he falls just outside that box. Should the Angelos family grow up and stop holding 20 year old grudges yes. He should be here embracing this team and being recognized for his greatness.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because I believe you are using nostalgia. Most older fans do. And btw, younger fans do it too. You were right with what you said before.

That said, you essentially said there is no discussion on who is better. That’s factually wrong.

Actually what I said is that “best pitcher” is an opinion, not a fact and thus subjective not objective.  
And actually as a baseball fan and psychiatrist/neuroscientist, I am marginally familiar with how opinions are formed lol 

And what you “believe” about me is inaccurate. 

Edited by tntoriole

Just now, tntoriole said:

Actually what I said is that “best pitcher” is an opinion, not a fact and thus subjective not objective.  
And actually as a baseball fan and psychiatrist/neuroscientist, I am marginally familiar with how opinions are formed lol 

It’s not really an opinion though…at least not a well informed opinion if you are just using your eyes and ignoring stats.

It's really more about the team than the player.  BRob, FRob, Jim, Eddie, Cal and Earl were all part of championship teams.  Mike Mussina was not.  Not his fault, but the fact that he left for the Yankees doesn't help.  

And if Buster Olney can't get over the Orioles not retiring Mussina's number then that's a pretty good reason not to as well.

No.  If he elected to go into HOF as an Oriole and he could have then I would see it differently.  Also he didn’t go in as a HOF with the Yankees probably because he knew that would have been ridiculous.   83  career WAR definitely for me belongs in HOF was a better pitcher with the Os than the Yanks and should have reminded everyone of that and elected the Os cap which would have led to retiring 35.