If you could add 1 prospect down the stretch, who would it be?

brvn52

Which prospect would most help the O's down the stretch?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect would most help the O's down the stretch?

• Joey Ortiz
    • Heston Kjerstad
    • DL Hall
    • Coby Mayo
    • Jackson Holliday
    • Other

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ortiz because it means that Mateo has to go.  

The way that they've held onto Jorge, I'm not sure that he would be the one to go for Joey. I'm a big fan of Jorge but it's well past the time for them to move on from him. I can't understand their reluctance, especially since they've recently reassigned TWells and Baker. I mean, I realize that it's the O's and this is what this regime does but I don't understand it. Jorge must have compromising pictures of Elias or John Angelos or something because it just doesn't make sense for Jorge to remain on the 26 man. 

• Upvote 1

I chose HK for a few reasons. First, we have an infield logjam even without Mateo. Hard to want to call up another glove-first MIFer when we don't need to make defensive substitutions for Gunnar or Urias, so I think Ortiz is a little redundant. Urias should be getting more ABs while Westburg and Fraizer duke it out over ABs from 2b. Second, if I thought he was truly ready, my choice would have been Holiday by an absolute landslide, but I'm not sure what we could reasonably expect from such a young kid right now, and the whole point is to get more production in the lineup for a playoff push (side note, there's a chance we see him in September anyway, unless the rumor I was was total BS, which I kinda suspect it was). Third, we are gonna see DL Hall eventually anyway unless he has a total meltdown at AAA, plus I no longer really consider him a prospect, even if he technically still is. Lastly, I think HK would come up and rake immediately and give our offense another gear that it really needs to hit more often. Maybe wishful thinking, but one of these guys has to come up and hit right away at some point. It does happen lol.

Also, remember that we will get Mullins back at some point. I don't think that's being too hopeful. We're a different team with him. Hicks, too. Getting those guys back will be a nice shot in the arm for us offensively and defensively.

Edited by Sanfran327

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday. Elias fired the Gunnar bullet at last season. I think he does the same this year. That’s part of the reason we haven’t seen Ortiz. I think Elias does this on 8/31. Holliday would still keep his ROY status for next year. 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility because Holliday can hit ML pitching today. He's been out with illness for a bit so that may have some impact on a September call-up for him, though I think their need for arms is probably more of a factor. 

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday. Elias fired the Gunnar bullet at last season. I think he does the same this year. That’s part of the reason we haven’t seen Ortiz. I think Elias does this on 8/31. Holliday would still keep his ROY status for next year. 

I’ll be shocked if Holliday is called up this year.  When Gunnar was called up, he’d had two full years in our MiL system plus the 2020 experience at the Alt site, and he’d been raking in AAA for more than two months.   Holliday has only been in the system for a year and he’s played 10 games of AA.   I just don’t see Elias jumping Holliday to the head of the line even if he probably is the most talented player in the system.  Talent isn’t everything; experience and development also matter when considering what a player can contribute right now. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be shocked if Holliday is called up this year.  When Gunnar was called up, he’d had two full years in our MiL system plus the 2020 experience at the Alt site, and he’d been raking in AAA for more than two months.   Holliday has only been in the system for a year and he’s played 10 games of AA.   I just don’t see Elias jumping Holliday to the head of the line even if he probably is the most talented player in the system.  Talent isn’t everything; experience and development also matter when considering what a player can contribute right now. 

I agree, but I also think we can take a chance on his bat in September. The bigger risk is that we do like what we did with Adley, and wait until after June next year to call him up and he still finishes top 2 in ROY and wins the year of service time back. I’d rather we just lump all our chips together this year and have them going for a WS together. 

This time last year nobody saw Gunnar coming. Holliday is cut from that same cloth. 

Game One vs RHP

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Santa S DH

5. O’Hearn L 1B

6. Hays R LF

7. Hicks S RF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Holliday L SS

McCann, Mountcastle, Mateo, Westburg, Urias

Edited by sportsfan8703

17 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The way that they've held onto Jorge, I'm not sure that he would be the one to go for Joey. I'm a big fan of Jorge but it's well past the time for them to move on from him. I can't understand their reluctance, especially since they've recently reassigned TWells and Baker. I mean, I realize that it's the O's and this is what this regime does but I don't understand it. Jorge must have compromising pictures of Elias or John Angelos or something because it just doesn't make sense for Jorge to remain on the 26 man. 

It's really hard to understand.

The ONLY thing I can think of...and it's grasping at straws, I'm not saying this is THE reason but it could be A reason...they think they can get him back to being a good hitter.  That there's a player in there that's closer to the heaters he was on last year and this year.  That they've got some newfangled analytics/camera system/tech that would blow our minds away and the rest of the general public has no idea about it...but whatever this software is, whatever this camera system is, it's telling Elias and Sig that they can get Mateo fixed.

That's the only reason I can think they'd be keeping him around.  Other than he's a good clubhouse guy, the team is winning, etc.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's really hard to understand.

The ONLY thing I can think of...and it's grasping at straws, I'm not saying this is THE reason but it could be A reason...they think they can get him back to being a good hitter.  That there's a player in there that's closer to the heaters he was on last year and this year.  That they've got some newfangled analytics/camera system/tech that would blow our minds away and the rest of the general public has no idea about it...but whatever this software is, whatever this camera system is, it's telling Elias and Sig that they can get Mateo fixed.

That's the only reason I can think they'd be keeping him around.  Other than he's a good clubhouse guy, the team is winning, etc.  

I agree with this. They only have to keep Mateo another 4 weeks to be able to work with him all offseason. They could bench him in September for Ortiz or Holliday. That way they can get a look at Mateo all the way through ST. 

27 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I chose HK for a few reasons. First, we have an infield logjam even without Mateo. Hard to want to call up another glove-first MIFer when we don't need to make defensive substitutions for Gunnar or Urias. Urias should be getting more ABs while Westburg and Fraizer duke it out over ABs from 2b. Second, if I thought he was truly ready, my choice would have been Holiday by an absolute landslide, but I'm not sure what we could reasonably expect from such a young kid right now, and the whole point is to get more production in the lineup for a playoff push (side note, there's a chance we see him in September anyway, unless the rumor I was was total BS, which I kinda suspect it was). Third, we are gonna see DL Hall eventually anyway unless he has a total meltdown at AAA, plus I no longer really consider him a prospect, even if he technically still is. Lastly, I think HK would come up and rake immediately and give our offense another gear that it really needs to hit more often. Maybe wishful thinking, but one of these guys has to come up and hit right away at some point. It does happen lol.

Also, remember that we will get Mullins back at some point. I don't think that's being too hopeful. We're a different team with him. Hicks, too. Getting those guys back will be a nice shot in the arm for us offensively and defensively.

I'm assuming you are calling Ortiz a glove first middle infielder?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with this. They only have to keep Mateo another 4 weeks to be able to work with him all offseason. They could bench him in September for Ortiz or Holliday. That way they can get a look at Mateo all the way through ST. 

Well, if that's the reasoning, it's pretty poor.  There's more talent and not enough IF positions for all of them.  Mateo doesn't fit in....quite frankly, let some other team try to iron his issues out.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, if that's the reasoning, it's pretty poor.  There's more talent and not enough IF positions for all of them.  Mateo doesn't fit in....quite frankly, let some other team try to iron his issues out.  

I can see it. Elias and Sig like to hoard. Just like how we’re not just going to give away Norby and Stowers this offseason. Deep depth is what works for 162. After all this time I think they are ok with him over Ortiz for the next for weeks for the chance to work with him until next OD.