The Streak

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I'm not moving the goal posts. The 4 game max losing streak was based exactly on your hypo - winning first game only of one series and last game of next.

Yeah, but I still pointed out a situation where we can lose 5 games in a row, which you said is a long losing streak.  And we can still keep this "streak" intact.  

So thanks for agreeing with me that the whole "streak of not having been swept" is silly.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep.

I think those are pretty dumb too.

Williams hit higher for the season than DiMaggio did in his streak.

Streaks aren’t “dumb”, they’re just factoids. The sweep streak doesn’t indicate anything other then that the Orioles are a consistent team, but that doesn’t mean a team that’s been swept several times this year can’t also be consistent. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Streaks aren’t “dumb”, they’re just factoids. The sweep streak doesn’t indicate anything other then that the Orioles are a consistent team, but that doesn’t mean a team that’s been swept several times this year can’t also be consistent. 

You are right, the streak itself isn't dumb. 

Caring about the streak is dumb.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kremer today.  So...who knows what we're gonna get.  

I'd lean towards yes but this team continues to surprise me.

Either way, it's kind of a silly streak.  An obscure thing to follow and care about....I sort of get it, it speaks to winning consistently but it's not that big of a deal.

Consistency over such a long period of time is pretty interesting, at least it is to me. The whole streak thing is meaningless, but I enjoy it. I want to see how long they can keep it going if only for my own entertainment. So maybe it’s obscure, so what? Still impressive 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Consistency over such a long period of time is pretty interesting, at least it is to me. The whole streak thing is meaningless, but I enjoy it. I want to see how long they can keep it going if only for my own entertainment. So maybe it’s obscure, so what? Still impressive 

If it hasn't been done in almost 80 years, it's impressive 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Me too. Especially given that the O’s lost 19 straight games as recently as August, 2021.  Nice to be regularly reminded that the O’s are no longer doormats. 

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are right, the streak itself isn't dumb. 

Caring about the streak is dumb.

the streak is a thing to care about, in a sense. Not caring about not getting swept is like saying you dont care if they win or lose. I didnt know we had this streak until I read this thread right now but all I cared about today was getting a win so we werent swept. That stopper can be a big thing going into the next series. Momentum means a lot this time of year and especially in the playoffs. These things may add up for us come that time...

3 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

the streak is a thing to care about, in a sense. Not caring about not getting swept is like saying you dont care if they win or lose. I didnt know we had this streak until I read this thread right now but all I cared about today was getting a win so we werent swept. That stopper can be a big thing going into the next series. Momentum means a lot this time of year and especially in the playoffs. These things may add up for us come that time...

Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher, and Seattle has plenty of really good ones.

• Upvote 1