The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s true that we don’t have one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL, but we are right on par with any team in Game 2-4 of a series. Plus, we’ve had a good record this year versus Cole, Gausman, and Mclanahan. 

Grayson has been pitching like an ACE. I’m not reading too much into that we had our #4 SP go up against Castillo last night. That’s going to happen in a 162 game season. 

True but remember in the playoffs pitching rotations are shortened so you see teams using their best starters more often.  It is do or die almost every game.

Love Grayson but I don't think he can be someone we can count on to be a lockdown ace in the playoffs. 

Rookie.  Most innings pitched of his career.  Pressure.  Etc.  Would be asking a lot to have him be a pitcher who can shut a team down in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Thanks.  Yes that is me.  Been lifting almost all my life since I was a teen.  Still go 4 times a week.   Plus played and still play any and all sports. 

Nice. I went into Marine Corps at 19 and got out at 23. I was sedentary before then. They got me into shape, but in the Marines I only did things like pull ups, push ups, running, etc. When I got out I started pumping iron. Been lifting for over a decade now. I'm 37. You don't see a lot guys my age still doing it.

17 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

No I do not know who this thread starter is. Just commenting that he looks like he is putting in serious work. 

Been an Oriole fan since I was a kid growing up in MI.  Shouldn't even say fan.  I would say addict haha.  

I used to go out my dad's car at night for hours when you could get AM stations better and try to pick up radio stations from Toronto, NY, Milwaukee etc just to listen to a static filled call of the game.

We are talking back in the Ken Singleton Tippy Martinez and Sammy Stewart days.    I lived and died O's baseball.  Still do.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

True but remember in the playoffs pitching rotations are shortened so you see teams using their best starters more often.  It is do or die almost every game.

Love Grayson but I don't think he can be someone we can count on to be a lockdown ace in the playoffs. 

Rookie.  Most innings pitched of his career.  Pressure.  Etc.  Would be asking a lot to have him be a pitcher who can shut a team down in the playoffs. 

Mclanahan is out for the season. The Yankees and Mariners are out of the playoffs right now. We rocked Sonny Gray, Framber Valdez, and Kevin Gausman, the last time we faced them. Rocked them. 

What team are we afraid of?  The Astros?  Their 5-9 of their lineup is terrible. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Nice. I went into Marine Corps at 19 and got out at 23. I was sedentary before then. They got me into shape, but in the Marines I only did things like pull ups, push ups, running, etc. When I got out I started pumping iron. Been lifting for over a decade now. I'm 37. You don't see a lot guys my age still doing it.

That's great.  Seriously.  These days when I go to the gym here in S Cal it is mainly just teens and young 20s.  The few older people who go seem to just do a few sets and sit there on their phone. 

Kind of irritating to see.

I do at least 8 different exercises within an hour, at least 4 sets each with some drop sets.  Try to keep the heart pumping so I get a cardio and a lifting workout at the same time.

That pic was taken last year at LA Fitness.  Had just turned 54.  :)  Most people take me for high 30s to 40 at most.  Combo of good genes and working out and playing sports all my life. 

Keep up the hard work. 

• Upvote 1

We’re going to consolidate this roster come September and especially for the playoffs. Kremer and Wells will be replacing Fuji, Webb, and Baker in middle relief. Holliday will be at SS.

How much better does the pen look like with Kremer and Wells?  Heck, even Irvin was hitting 94/95 in short relief. I’ll take that from a lefty?  How deep will our lineup be with Holliday batting 9th?

Right now we’re in regular season mode. We will condense the 26 man roster for a playoff series. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mclanahan is out for the season. The Yankees and Mariners are out of the playoffs right now. We rocked Sonny Gray, Framber Valdez, and Kevin Gausman, the last time we faced them. Rocked them. 

What team are we afraid of?  The Astros?  Their 5-9 of their lineup is terrible. 

In the American League?  I would say Houston, the Rays, Toronto and especially Texas are the teams to worry about. 

Houston because they just win and have been there before....many times.  Kind of like how the Colts used to have issues with the Pats even though the Colts usually had more talent.  The Patriots were just winners. 

Toronto and the Rays because I think they are more talented right now.   Texas just because they are playing out of their freaking minds. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re going to consolidate this roster come September and especially for the playoffs. Kremer and Wells will be replacing Fuji, Webb, and Baker in middle relief. Holliday will be at SS.

How much better does the pen look like with Kremer and Wells?  Heck, even Irvin was hitting 94/95 in short relief. I’ll take that from a lefty?  How deep will our lineup be with Holliday batting 9th?

Right now we’re in regular season mode. We will condense the 26 man roster for a playoff series. 

I agree that would help. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We need to separate out (1) not winning the World Series, and (2) not making the playoffs.   Those are two very different things.  

I don’t expect the Orioles to win the World Series.  They could, but the odds are against them.   The odds are against any team, even the best one, winning the World Series.  And there are probably a couple of teams as good or better than the Orioles, and teams that have more playoff experience.  So, I hope the Orioles win the World Series, and I believe there’s a chance they might, but I won’t be crestfallen if it doesn’t happen this year.

Not making the playoffs, however, would be a travesty.  I wouldn’t have said that before the season, but it’s certainly the case now.  The O’s are 26 games over .500.   They could play .500 ball from here and win 94 games.   Right now, the winning percentage needed to make the playoffs projects out to 88-89 wins.  It would be absolutely pathetic if the O’s failed to top that at this stage.  They have the 7.th easiest remaining schedule in the entire major leagues.

So no, it would not be “OK” for the Orioles to miss the playoffs.  It would be the biggest choke job in Orioles’ history, by far.   

The reason why I put not making the playoffs as a possibility is because the O's really have not had a major slump all year.  Pretty unusual.  Been very steady.  But with the pressure of a pennant race and shaky pitching AND lots of younger players and average players having career or very good years so far?  I think the chances of a collapse are   there. 

I certainly hope that doesn't happen and chances are it won't happen, but I do sense some weaknesses that if things start to snowball?  It could get bad. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

In the American League?  I would say Houston, the Rays, Toronto and especially Texas are the teams to worry about. 

Houston because they just win and have been there before....many times.  Kind of like how the Colts used to have issues with the Pats even though the Colts usually had more talent.  The Patriots were just winners. 

Toronto and the Rays because I think they are more talented right now.   Texas just because they are playing out of their freaking minds. 

We are 18-9 against the teams you named. Yes they can beat us in a series. Any team can beat any team in a series. Really amazing analysis you're providing listing off the next 4 best records in the American League as teams that can potentially beat us. 

• Upvote 1