The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I remember that time period vividly. Peter Angelos publicly complained against the idea of the Expos moving into Washington, and he fought against the Expos trying to move to Washington. Peter was adamantly against it and expressed concerns that they would be treading on the Orioles market. At the time, I didn't think it mattered and I didn't think much of it, but all these years later, I think Peter Angelos turned out to be right when he expressed his reservations about Washington getting the Nationals.

Me too, he never forced baseball to handle the matter in court. 

On 8/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, dystopia said:

They might use Gibson for long relief.

Roch has said Gibson is a lock for the playoff rotation. Of course he is just passing along current team PR, until that PR becomes outdated. Plans change. Talent and results wise, Gibson isn’t someone that should be in our top 3.5 starters. How many do we need for the playoffs anyway? I haven’t watched the playoffs in awhile and it seems the schedule/format has changed a lot recently. 

IDK how many innings Kremer, Bradish, and Grayson can throw, but I don’t really see them going on the Tyler Wells plan. I’d say it’s more likely they just keep starting until they hit that front office imposed limit. The extra day of rest from the 6 man rotation will help, but they could still hit their limit before the playoffs. 

Could we see an all veteran playoff rotation? Gibson, Flaherty, Means, Irvin I guess? Again, I’m unsure if the 4th starter is really needed. That would be boring, but maybe necessary? 

4 hours ago, Winter said:

Better title to this thread would of just been "Regardless of what happens from here on out the season was a success" which it was because many saw a regression with the team but it didn't happen, this team can win a playoff series, can they beat the Braves/Dodgers in a 7game series? It would take a big upset no doubt about that, but the AL? we can beat any of them..

I am not sure whether the O's could beat either team, but, the O's have played 83 games against teams with teams greater than .500 (47-36). The Braves 65 (40-25) and the Dodgers 62 (only 32-30). The O's can play with anybody. And, maybe it's not measurable, they out hustle every team I've seen. They bust it down 1st base, take the extra base..they are exciting to watch.

• 1 month later...

I hate to say this, but I said it over a month ago.  This team will struggle to make the playoffs.

You have a line up hitting wise that IMO is lacking true impact players other than GH.  Compare it to other power house line ups and by comparison it is TERRIBLE.  People can say Adley is great all they want to but I said since the first game of the year at Boston that he somehow turned into a slap hitter instead of a driver of the ball, and that has held true all year.  Watch his swing, especially as a lefty.  He tries to just bing something into left field.  Zero power.  It is kind of disgusting to watch tbh.

Who else do they have on this team that are true Game Changers besides GH?  No one.  You have a few good hitters in AS and Cedric and then......a bunch of re treads and also rans.

Pitching?  Do they have a true #1?  Or even a #1A?  No.   Feleix is gone.  We all know this.  He is not coming back this year.

This team is going to struggle to make the playoffs.  Major fade out coming up.  I got ridiculed for saying this in August but I even believe this more today.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

This team is going to struggle to make the playoffs.  Major fade out coming up.  I got ridiculed for saying this in August but I even believe this more today.

Well, you’re going to get ridiculed even more today, so hopefully your skin stayed tough after August.

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

No one likes a guy who shits in other’s Cheerios. Most of all they hate a fan who has no faith and then tells you told you so. Kindly find another team. 

I am the biggest Os fan there is.  Have been since I was a child.  

I am also a realist.    This team is just not that talented.

10 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I hate to say this, but I said it over a month ago.  This team will struggle to make the playoffs.

You have a line up hitting wise that IMO is lacking true impact players other than GH.  Compare it to other power house line ups and by comparison it is TERRIBLE.  People can say Adley is great all they want to but I said since the first game of the year at Boston that he somehow turned into a slap hitter instead of a driver of the ball, and that has held true all year.  Watch his swing, especially as a lefty.  He tries to just bing something into left field.  Zero power.  It is kind of disgusting to watch tbh.

Who else do they have on this team that are true Game Changers besides GH?  No one.  You have a few good hitters in AS and Cedric and then......a bunch of re treads and also rans.

Pitching?  Do they have a true #1?  Or even a #1A?  No.   Feleix is gone.  We all know this.  He is not coming back this year.

This team has a greater than 99.9% chance of making the playoffs according to ESPN.com. They currently have a 10-game lead to the first WC team, 11.5 to the third WC team. Short of a total collapse worse than the Boston 2011 collapse, they are definitely making the playoffs. But they might be limping into it. I don't believe so. The schedule becomes lighter after the Houston series, and this team will regain its confidence and start winning lots of games again. It would be nice if they could take at least one game in this current series, but even if they get swept, I think they will be fine.

26 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am the biggest Os fan there is.  Have been since I was a child.  

I am also a realist.    This team is just not that talented.

Man, I really feel bad for someone that sad. And what if we make the playoffs? You’ll just be elated or no, you’ll just say it was luck. You’re a cuck.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Man, I really feel bad for someone that sad. And what if we make the playoffs? You’ll just be elated or no, you’ll just say it was luck. You’re a cuck.

LOL.  I'm a cuck?  Do you even know what the word means? 

Increase your vocabulary bro. 

It means a weak man.  Many times referring to a man who lets another man have sex with his wife.

Trust me when I say this?  That isn't me. 

You are welcome to post your pic as well.  I will be waiting......

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

LOL.  I'm a cuck?  Do you even know what the word means? 

Increase your vocabulary bro. 

It means a weak man.  Many times referring to a man who lets another man have sex with his wife.

Trust me when I say this?  That isn't me. 

You are welcome to post your pic as well.  I will be waiting......

That's a little dick move right there. Just being a realist.

5 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Under 20 games left and the best record in the AL is going to struggle to make the playoffs? Was this a typo or drinking too much after the loss? We were just 16 and 4 in the last 20 games before this recent slide. 

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

They could lose every game from here on out and they'd still probably make the playoffs.  Making the playoffs really isn't a question at this point, it's whether they go in as the WC or they win the division.

Just to follow-up on this so the OP can rest easy...

The O's are 91-55 with 16 games left.

The Blue Jays, who are the 1st team out of the wild card, are 80-67 with 15 games left.  And the Orioles hold the tiebreaker over the Blue Jays.

If the Orioles lost every single game from here on out and closed the season with a 19-game losing streak, the Blue Jays would need to go 12-3 to pass them.

So yeah - the Orioles are making the playoffs.  You can let that part of the argument go.